Cubs after Tejada, could move Prior

SSH2005

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
Levine is jumping on these rumors while cohosting with Silvy.  However, he is stressing that it will take more than just Prior to get this done.

I find that amazing since most Cubs' fans don't seem to grasp that. Apparently the Cubs don't either if they think they'll get Bedard back in the deal.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the O's deal for Prior they so win that trade. However, the O's should hold onto Bedard. They need to bolster there pitching and giving up a guy like Bedard would be stupid.

I also think it would be stupid for them to than turn Prior into Manny. However, if I were the BoSox I'd do that deal and find a way to get another bat (bats are easier to get than front line starters).

:lolhitting I always love hearing Cubs' fans propose trades. They always get the two best players in the deal (well, Prior's better than Zito, but you get the point) and at least one team gets absolute crap. Yeah, the A's are really going to deal Zito for Hamels and Murton. That deal doesn't even mention the problems with getting Abreu to accept the trade or figuring out who pays what out of his salary. I bet that person thought it was a good trade idea too. Well, I guess at least it's better than the one where the Cubs get Manny and Tejada. :lolhitting Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 09:16 AM)
This is the best part of the deal.  Zambranos agent is.........Borasss.  Which means, not only will they lose their golden boy Mark Prior, but when Z is ready for FA, they will lose him too.  Boy I love Jim Hendry.

The Cubs are actually one of the few teams who deal with Boras.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
You heard it here first Phils, Cubs, A's

Abreu and Zito to Cubs

Hamels and Murton to A's

Prior to Phils

Makes sense for all with the exception that Zito is a FA next year so extension for Zito is mandatory to pull it off

Wait--Cubs trade Prior/Murton for essentially Abreu AND Zito?

Sure, that works for all teams; but it REALLY benefits the Cubs. They exist this trade with a #2 pitcher, stud outfielder, and in place give up a potential ace, outfield prospect. Hendry would have to give up Hill or Pie to Phills to balance out this trade.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Supposedly, the Cubs have two offers on the table for Miguel Tejada:

Offer A: Jerome Williams, Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, and Brian Dopirak for Miguel Tejada

Offer B: Mark Prior and Felix Pie for Miguel Tejada, Erik Bedard, and Nick Markakis

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Supposedly, the Cubs have two offers on the table for Miguel Tejada:

Offer A:  Jerome Williams, Corey Patterson, Felix Pie, and Brian Dopirak for Miguel Tejada

Offer B:  Mark Prior and Felix Pie for Miguel Tejada, Erik Bedard, and Nick Markakis

Orioles will laugh at offer A, and offer B would be a terrible trade for the Cubs.

Sorry, I guess the two Cubs' offers for Tejada are supposedly:

Offer 1: Angel Guzman, Rich Hill, Corey Patterson, and Brian Dopirak for Miguel Tejada

Offer 2: Mark Prior and Rich Hill for Miguel Tejada, Erik Bedard, and an unnamed top outfield prospect (possibly Nick Markakis)

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 07:40 PM)
Sorry, I guess the two Cubs' offers for Tejada are supposedly:

Offer 1:  Angel Guzman, Rich Hill, Corey Patterson, and Brian Dopirak for Miguel Tejada

Offer 2:  Mark Prior and Rich Hill for Miguel Tejada, Erik Bedard, and an unnamed top outfield prospect (possibly Nick Markakis)

1st one looks about even, but the Orioles want a marquee name to replace Tejada. Offer 2 is a pipedream for the Cubs. I guess Jim Hendry isn't done trying to rip off teams.

Edited by nitetrain8601

A couple of things on this.

Dan Patrick was on and said Tejada for Prior is a joke and Baltimore would be getting ripped off. My feeling in the baseball world is that Mark Prior's star is beginning to dim.

The best part of the show was when Levine called the Dodgers losers. Silvy responds stating he is a die hard cub fan but would not consider the cubs much better than the dodgers.

Levine absolutly loves Hendry and the cubs.

He makes my ears bleed yet tehy run him out there.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 22, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
1st one looks about even, but the Orioles want a marquee name to replace Tejada. Offer 2 is a pipedream for the Cubs. I guess Jim Hendry isn't done trying to rip off teams.

Are you kidding me. Offer 2 is such the stronger package.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
Bruce Levine is now reporting that the Cubs' offer seems to have been narrowed to Mark Prior, Rich Hill, and possibly Corey Patterson for Miguel Tejada and Erik Bedard pending Peter Angelos's approval.

That northside "best ever" rotation is going to be alot less formidable if this trade goes through

That northside "best ever" rotation is going to be alot less formidable if this trade goes through

It will actually be pretty damn weak with Kerry Wood not expected to be ready for the start of the season.

Carlos Zambrano

Erik Bedard

Greg Maddux

Glendon Rusch

Jerome Williams

They may go after a free agent starter if this trade goes through though (Kevin Millwood, Jeff Weaver).

Bruce Levine and the other guys on ESPN 1000 are speculating that one of the reasons the Cubs are willing to trade Prior is because he's too fragile and won't pitch through sore arms, etc. They also are speculating that maybe the Cubs need to make a big splash for the fans because of the Sox winning the World Series.

Edited by SSH2005

To me, all of those deals greatly favor the Cubs. What are the Orioles thinking, my goodness.

Prior is a china doll and Corey Patterson is someone they're dying to dump. Rich Hill is a nice prospect, but they would be raping the Orioles here. I hope Angelos is not that stupid but I fear he is.

To me, all of those deals greatly favor the Cubs.  What are the Orioles thinking, my goodness.

Prior is a china doll and Corey Patterson is someone they're dying to dump.  Rich Hill is a nice prospect, but they would be raping the Orioles here.  I hope Angelos is not that stupid but I fear he is.

Really? Mark Prior alone is worth more than Tejada. He's an ace-quality pitcher and he's under control for the next 3 years. He's also much cheaper than Tejada. His injuries have all been fluky (collision with Marcus Giles and getting hit by a line drive). You could definately say he's soft with any aches and pains he feels though. Rich Hill could be the same type of pitcher as Bedard is. Patterson is just a throw-in.

But consider that the Cubs could have just dished out the cash for Rafael Furcal and kept Prior. This is terrible team management and allocation of resources.

Edited by SSH2005

They could have a monster lineup with

Pierre

Walker

Lee

Tejada

A-Ram

Jones

Murton

Barret

But with Maddux as your 3 starter? Not going to cut it.

My point exactly. They would have been better off giving Furcal the money he wanted and keeping Prior.

Pierre

Furcal

Lee

Ramirez

Jones

Walker

Murton

Barrett

Prior and Furcal would have won the Cubs more games than Bedard and Tejada.

Edited by SSH2005

I disagree. Mark Prior, in his short in the MLB, can be considered injury prone. He in no way can be counted on for a full season.

Tejada is an outstanding hitter, that fills a huge hole in that Cub INF.

However, like I said in a previous post, even if they lose an injury prone Prior, there pitching takes a HUGE HIT.

Fluke injuries like getting run over by Marcus Giles or getting hit by a line drive don't make you injury-prone. Kerry Wood is injury-prone. But I guess you could argue that Prior's unwillingness to pitch through pain does.

And you also have to question whether or not Tejada was on roids. Will he continue to produce like he did in the past before the harsher steroid testing was instituted?

You don't trade a 25 year old pitcher with ace potential for a shortstop with a .815 career OPS and who has never even put up a .900 OPS in his career. And Bedard is good but he isn't great. Jerome Williams could match his numbers in 2006.

Think about Prior pitching under Leo Mazzone for a second...

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 07:40 AM)
To me, all of those deals greatly favor the Cubs.  What are the Orioles thinking, my goodness.

Prior is a china doll and Corey Patterson is someone they're dying to dump.  Rich Hill is a nice prospect, but they would be raping the Orioles here.  I hope Angelos is not that stupid but I fear he is.

The O's can't back in and give up Bedard. They do that and its not a bad deal at all for the Cubs. However go for Hill, Prior and Patterson for Tejada straight up. Now thats a deal thats fair enough, imo.

I agree that Prior has some questionable health issues. I mean there never was a definitive answer on what his elbow problem was last year, in fact the Cubs were coming out and saying there's nothing wrong, almost putting the pressure on Prior to pitch through whatever problems he was having.

But I just can't see how this would help the Cubs get closer to winning the World Series. Their lineup would be great, but would it be as good as the Yankees one was last year? I would say no, and Yankees didn't even make it out of the first round because their pitching wasn't good enough, and I don't think adding Millwood or Weaver is going to change that.