Cubs after Tejada, could move Prior

SSH2005

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:52 AM)
Agreed.  Although I don't see the O's dealing Bedard in any deal with the Cubs (imo).

In offer 2, the Cubs are giving up Prior and Hill for arguably the best SS in the game, a #3 pitcher, and a top OF prospect. Prior isn't worth that much. Hill only has his curve as of now(even Cub fans admit this). 2 is a bad deal for the O's.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:00 AM)
In offer 2, the Cubs are giving up Prior and Hill for arguably the best SS in the game, a #3 pitcher, and a top OF prospect. Prior isn't worth that much. Hill only has his curve as of now(even Cub fans admit this). 2 is a bad deal for the O's.

Thats exactly what I said. However, the deal is fair if you take Bedard out of the deal.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I just get the feeling that with all these names floating around and rumors of 3-4 team trades (the A's from yesterday, now the Sox, etc...) it seems Angelos isn't jumping on any of the Cubs offers, or it would be done.

I dont' think Angelos is in any rush to do things, since their preference would almost certainly be to keep Tejada happy and hold onto him. If they can't make that happen within a month or so, depending on whatever private things they're being told, then they'll probably have heard enough offers to know which one is best. When you've got a bargaining chip like Tejada, there's very little reason to rush into things. A better offer might come screaming along all of a sudden, if someone were to get hurt or someone else were to request a trade, or if someone else (manny) were to be traded.

What White Sox fans have learned is pitching wins. The only reason the Cubs should trade Prior is if they think the ball off his elbow will have lingering effects on him or they have determined without a doubt he's injury prone. If he can stay healthy for the rest of his career, whether he's a Cub or not, he's a hall of famer. Its very possible they believe he has lost something, because if they don't, IMO they would be out of their minds to trade a guy like that who they have control of for the next 3 seasons.He wasn't very effective after the injury.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:34 AM)
I agree that signing Furcal and keepign Prior makes a ton more sense

I'm sorry, but with the Dodgers offering $13 million a year...beating out the price for Furcal for the Cubs would just have been silly. He's simply not worth that kind of money.

What White Sox fans have learned is pitching wins. The only reason the Cubs should trade Prior is if they think the ball off his elbow will have lingering effects on him or they have determined without a doubt he's injury prone. If he can stay healthy for the rest of his career,  whether he's a Cub or not, he's a hall of famer. Its very possible they believe he has lost something, because if they don't,  IMO they would be out of their minds to trade a guy like that who they have control of for the next 3 seasons.He wasn't very effective after the injury.

Excellent post. Unless Hendry and company have some inside information like this that no one else knows, he would be a fool to trade Prior.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:52 PM)
Excellent post.  Unless Hendry and company have some inside information like this that no one else knows, he would be a fool to trade Prior.

yup, I can't shake that idea from my mind. They are already a starting pitcher short, and to trade your 1 or 2 doesn't make sense. Zambrano, Wood (who won't start the year healthy per Dusty Baker), Maddux, Rusch (sp?), Williams. That rotation isn't very strong.

I'm sorry, but with the Dodgers offering $13 million a year...beating out the price for Furcal for the Cubs would just have been silly.  He's simply not worth that kind of money.

Tejada has 4 years and $54 million left on his contract. He can also demand a trade one year after being traded.

Mark Prior & Rafael Furcal (even at what the Dodgers signed him for) > Erik Bedard & Miguel Tejada

The Cubs would have also won more games with Prior and Furcal than with Bedard and Tejada.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Tejada has 4 years and $54 million left on his contract.  He can also demand a trade one year after being traded.

Mark Prior & Rafael Furcal (even at what the Dodgers signed him for) > Erik Bedard & Miguel Tejada

The Cubs would have also won more games with Prior and Furcal than with Bedard and Tejada.

You know, I don't know about which way the Cubs would be better...because it would all depend on whether either of those pitchers could stay healthy.

But of course, given that the Cubs can't get Furcal no matter what, that's pretty much a moot point.

You know, I don't know about which way the Cubs would be better...because it would all depend on whether either of those pitchers could stay healthy.

But of course, given that the Cubs can't get Furcal no matter what, that's pretty much a moot point.

Considering the fact that Furcal gave the Cubs every opportunity to match the Dodgers' offer and they didn't, but are now looking to trade Prior for another shortstop makes them look really, really stupid. They should have just ponied up the cash for Furcal. Afterall, they have the money available. And they wouldn't even need to be thinking about trading Prior right now.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:04 PM)
Considering the fact that Furcal gave the Cubs every opportunity to match the Dodgers' offer and they didn't, but are now looking to trade Prior for another shortstop makes them look really, really stupid.  They should have just ponied up the cash for Furcal.  Afterall, they have the money available.  And they wouldn't even need to be thinking about trading Prior right now.

Right, both stations here in Chicago have said that Furcal's camp came back to the Cubs after the Dodgers final offer (meaning the one he ultimately signed). They weren't looking for an exact match of the 3 year offer, just a small bump on the 5 year deal they had, and supposedly Hendry wanted to do it, but was nixed by the people above him.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)
ESPNews is reporting that the holdup to the trade is that the Orioles want Zambrano instead of Prior but the Cubs won't do that.  This stuff is getting hilarious.

Which would make all the 3-4 team deal rumors make sense. O's want more, and are in the position to ask for it.

If this trade goes down it should be interesting. This would be Hendry's first big trade where it didn't involve another team salary dumping.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
Excellent post.  Unless Hendry and company have some inside information like this that no one else knows, he would be a fool to trade Prior.

Exactly. Methinks the Cubs are trying to slip a Mike Sirotka to the O's. Either Prior is hurt or Hendry is a bigger moron than any of us can even grasp. The O's are smart to go after that nut job Zambrano instead.

This whole thing is such a load of crap. Everyone makes it sound like Mark Prior and some mediocre prospects (a couple are decent but not stellar, Pie isn't going anywhere) gets them Tejada. Baltimore isn't just going to give away the best SS in the game. He's about the only SS left in baseball that has any chance of posting a .300-30-100 type season. I'd be very surprised if this happens, and if it does the Cubs' rotation is really going to blow for the next couple of years.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:39 PM)
You got that right.  The latest report is that the Orioles are now holding out for Carlos Zambrano and Felix Pie instead of Mark Prior.

Yeah, this report is spreading, in fact the Score just said O's are holding out for Prior and Zambrano!!! I think they misworded their copy and meant what you are saying.

Michael Ogulnik and Bryan Dolgin are reporting that Jim Hendry has made a "definitive" offer of Prior, Patterson, and Rich Hill for Bedard and Tejada. Ogulnik has been reporting that since he heard of the rumor, he bleeds cubbie blue.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
Michael Ogulnik and Bryan Dolgin are reporting that Jim Hendry has made a "definitive" offer of Prior, Patterson, and Rich Hill for Bedard and Tejada.    Ogulnik has been reporting that since he heard of the rumor, he bleeds cubbie blue.

I've heard the same report, and, let me just go on record as saying the Cubs would be coming up aces in this deal.