Gary Sheffield

supernuke

Don't know if anyone has talked about this yet but in this weeks Sports weekly has a list of teams Sheffield says would interest him when he becomes a free agent. The list was The Yankees, Rangers, Padres, Orioles, Cubs, Mariners, D-rays and The White Sox. Now I know we won't get this guy I was just surprised as hell to see a star player actually list the Sox as a team that he would want to play for. I mean it doesn't happen very often it seams.

Oh man I love Sheffield. His attitude is no longer a problem and he's a heck of a player. We aren't getting him, but damn is he talented. If we were going to lose Maggs, then Sheff would be one guy I'd be able to live with replacing him.

I'm sure Kenny f***ing Williams would find a way to piss him off and turn his attitude sour again.

I was thinking the EXACT same thing...and if it wasn't KW it would be someone else.

There has to be some kind of curse on the Sox when it comes to big trades or free agents - it just never seems to work out long-term... :huh:

We'll never know. Reinsdorf's cheap ass will never let KW pursue him  :bang  :angry: :fyou

I am not sure as I usually would be about that kind of stuff.

#1 our payroll is less than it was last year.

#2 With our attendance being about the same as last year, tickets are 20% more expensive because of price increases, meaning revenues are 20% higher.

#3 If we are in it, JR has authorized the Sox to add payroll before, adding such guys as Albert Belle, and Charles Johnson in 2000.

#4 JR is 70 years old now, time is running out.

#5 if you aquire someone in July you are only on the hook for about 1/3 of their salary, and not a full year.

I am not sure as I usually would be about that kind of stuff. 

#1 our payroll is less than it was last year. 

#2 With our attendance being about the same as last year, tickets are 20% more expensive because of price increases, meaning revenues are 20% higher.

#3 If we are in it, JR has authorized the Sox to add payroll before, adding such guys as Albert Belle, and Charles Johnson in 2000. 

#4 JR is 70 years old now, time is running out. 

#5 if you aquire someone in July you are only on the hook for about 1/3 of their salary, and not a full year.

You're lying to yourself :lol:

Between 2001 and 2002 Sheffield made a lot of noise that he wanted out of LA. I'm not sure why -- can't remember. I think Frank Thomas was doing his annual winter pout, also. I was hoping then that we should go for it, even if we had to take Karros off their hands, too. Frank, I'm certain, would have gone for it, because he loves LA. Turns out that they made the deal for Brian Jordan of the Braves. As far as I know, the trade possibility was never discussed. Anybody know any different?

That trade would have been awesome for the Sox, but it is just a daydream on my part. I can't help wondering if it was ever discussed.