Rumor: 4-Way Garland Trade

RME JICO

There has been talk, as there is wont to be in these matters, of various three- or four-team scenarios, the most ambitious rumor one in which the Orioles would wind up with Ramírez and White Sox pitcher Jon Garland, the Cubs would get Tejada, the White Sox would get Bedard, and the Red Sox would receive Prior.

Why would the Sox do this? The Boston Globe is out of their minds.

O's lose Tejada and Bedard - gain Ramirez, Garland???

Red Sox lose Ramirez - gain Prior

Cubs lose Prior - gain Tejada

Sox lose Garland - gain Bedard???

Riigghhttt!

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...lookout/?page=2

Edited by WinninUgly

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:31 PM)
Why would the Sox do this?  The Boston Globe is out of their minds.

O's lose Tejada and Bedard - gain Ramirez

Red Sox lose Ramirez - gain Prior, Garland???

Riigghhttt!

You're reading it wrong..

The Orioles would get Ramirez & Garland.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Why would we trade Garland for another SP?  Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Especially when the starting pitcher we'd be getting in return would be our 6th starter, so he'd end up being our 2nd lefty out of the pen?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Especially when the starting pitcher we'd be getting in return would be our 6th starter, so he'd end up being our 2nd lefty out of the pen?

That would be good from that standpoint, we would have found our second lefty to the pen and move BMac into the 5th starters spot. But that could not be all that we get. The other teams would be getting studs and we would be getting shafted if bedard is the only player we recieve.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
Why would we trade Garland for another SP?  Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

Money, as in he makes the minimum. He's also only a second year player (so we basically own him for the next four) and he was pretty much the Orioles best pitcher last year, when healthy. He's on the cusp of something good. The Orioles are reluctant to let him go.

And lest we forget that Garland is a one year rental at this point.

The Orioles are interested in White Sox right-hander Jon Garland, who is a free agent after this season, and had some talks with Chicago last week in a deal that didn't include Tejada, according to industry sources. However, the White Sox wanted Bedard, instead of pitching prospects in the deal, and the Orioles balked.

This is why that 4 way rumor came up.

If we get Bedard, that would be 2 relatively cheap pitchers in the rotation, and we could say goodbye to the Count also.

Its a good fiscal move. You trade Garland and get a real good pitcher in return, and then you can spin off the Count for prospects if he says he wants silly money.

This is how teams like the Braves win year in and year out.

Everyone loves Garland, everyone loves the Count. But if you can save 20+ million a year and get real good pitchers to take over you are set for a long time.

Edited by southsideirish71

Losing Garland straight up for Bedard would be a horrible loss for the Sox. Yeah they are reducing payroll, but there is no way you can compare Bedard to Garland:

Bedard started out 5-1 with a 2.08 ERA, and had 52 Ks to 14 BBs. Then he got hurt.

After the injury, he goes 1-7 with a 5.44 ERA and 73 Ks to 43 BBs.

That looks like 2 different pitchers. It seems like he is a high risk high reward pitcher.

Bedard has been injured through out his career. While he puts up good numbers when he's been healthy [never throwing more than 150 innings], I'd want someone younger with more upside than him for Jon. unless there are other players we don't know about--which doesn't make sense for the O's.

i would not at all be disappointed with this deal...other than the fact that teh cubs get tejada

at this point id rather have bedard than say hayden penn from the orioles. bedard should be a solid major league pitcher, left handed, cheap, and we would control him i believe for 2-3 years. is he mark buerhle? no, but hell be kenny rogers for a few years at under a million and we free up the 9 million that garland would make. besides im sure we would be gettin some sort of prospect in that deal. i just dont think at all that baltimore would give up bedard now. he was the guy they wouldnt give up last year for hudson or mulder, so why would they give him up now?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
Bedard has been injured through out his career. While he puts up good numbers when he's been healthy [never throwing more than 150 innings], I'd want someone younger with more upside than him for Jon. unless there are other players we don't know about--which doesn't make sense for the O's.

Well, the 1 nice thing about such a massive deal is that there's 3 different teams who could potentially toss in a prospect to the White Sox to make it a little more worth while.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
Maybe the Sox should trade Garland to Seattle and get Jeremy Reed back and some bullpen help.

haha not to mention miguel olivo is available....honestly thats not a bad idea...everyone loves the widge, but why not sign olivo as our backup again??

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 03:21 PM)
Odd idea, but I love it.  Sadly I really do.  Reed would be a great fit for the Sox, but I think they are high on Anderson.

Platoon them, and when Dye is ready to leave you have your experienced cheap replacement. I don't know why people are so down on Reed after just his rookie season. I still think he is going to be quite a player. The guy I would really like the Sox to get from Seattle and I have no idea if he's available is Matt Thornton. He throws hard, but has control problems. I know Seattle was really high on him, but don't know if that feeling has changed. He fits the mold of what KW said he was looking for to fill Marte's spot. A guy like Marte who needed to be harnessed a little bit.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Odd idea, but I love it.  Sadly I really do.  Reed would be a great fit for the Sox, but I think they are high on Anderson.

I just keep coming back to this...in 2006-2007, we have Anderson, Dye, Podsednik, Owens, Borchard, and Sweeney all under our control. Dye is the most expensive of them, and he's seriously undervalued based on his performance last year. All of them are either ML ready or are nearly so (Sweeney being the only one who may need 2 years). That's 6 outfielders. We probably have room for 4 at any time, with 1 as a backup. Borchard may be lost if he doesn't make the team, but that still leaves us 5 guys.

I just really dislike the idea of adding another outfielder when that's a position that we already have too many people at. We still have people who we need to move out of the way to allow the youth we do have to come in.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Why would the Sox do this?  The Boston Globe is out of their minds.

O's lose Tejada and Bedard - gain Ramirez, Garland???

Red Sox lose Ramirez - gain Prior

Riigghhttt!

That trade blows from White Sox angle.

i personally like this deal, bc bedard is a young lefty who we could use out of the bullpen this year, and could start next year. you throw in a prospect and im sold. we could lock up bedard for years.

He is the same age as Garland, but I believe has higher upside. Bedard has been in the league less than Garland, so the White Sox would have more leverage contract wise for a few more years... and he sure won't cost 10 mil a season.