Tony

Indians could be making a few moves.....

Art Martone and Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal are reporting that Ryan Langerhans could be traded from the Braves to the Indians.

No word on what the Braves would get in return, though we wouldn't be surprised to see David Riske involved. A Langerhans trade would give Atlanta a platoon of Kelly Johnson and Matt Diaz in left field. We'd feel comfortable with that, but the Braves will probably want to upgrade. They've already reportedly tried to trade Wilson Betemit for Craig Monroe.

The Indians are trying to acquire Ryan Langerhans from the Braves as the first step of a sequence that could send Coco Crisp to Boston, according to Sean McAdam of the Providence Journal.

Langerhans would be the decent replacement for Crisp that the Indians need. It's hard to believe the Red Sox would part Andy Marte for Crisp, but we also don't see what else could motivate the Indians to deal their left fielder. If they get Marte, it would certainly be worth it.

Interesting.....

Wow Marte would be a great get for them. Could play now, or even DH a little this season and take over for Aaron Boone in 2007.

Langerhans is definitely a downgrade on Crisp though. Ryan only had a .774 OPS in 2005, and was only marginally better against lefties. Away splits of .216/.323/.389 should be worrying though.

Crisp had a .810 OPS, and just generally had a pretty good year in 2005.

Still if the Indians do this, they get another lefty hitter, so I can see why they're gonna do it if they can get Marte for Crisp.

its hard to imagine the red sox not overpaying for anyone on the free agent market, not overpaying throughout the damon discussions, and then suddenly giving up there best prospect thus overpaying for coco crisp.

i don't see marte changing his colors for crisp, either.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
its hard to imagine the red sox not overpaying for anyone on the free agent market, not overpaying throughout the damon discussions, and then suddenly giving up there best prospect thus overpaying for coco crisp. 

i don't see marte changing his colors for crisp, either.

This should come as no surprise. I saw Marte called "the best prospect in baseball" this week.

changing to the red sox farm system increases your hype 10 fold.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:40 PM)
This should come as no surprise. I saw Marte called "the best prospect in baseball" this week.

changing to the red sox farm system increases your hype 10 fold.

you dont consider andy marte the red sox best prospect?

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 12:44 AM)

He said he heard him called "the best prospect in baseball", not the best prospect in the Red Sawks farm system. That means some genius was rating him ahead of King Felix and Delmon Young.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 23, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)

Yes, by default the Red Sox best prospect is automatically given the title "Best prospect in baseball"

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 06:34 PM)
who said he was the best prospect in baseball, again?

Question, who was the last Atlanta Braves prospect to make a major impact besides Jeff Francouer in late 2005?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 03:57 AM)
Question, who was the last Atlanta Braves prospect to make a major impact besides Jeff Francouer in late 2005?

Kyle Davies in mid 2005?

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 07:58 PM)
Kyle Davies in mid 2005?

He of the 4.93 ERA?

interesting ideas. the indians are going to do something soon, i'm about sure of that.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 11:19 AM)

I am pretty high on 5 of that top 6, but that guy over-rates players. However, the Red Sox do have a pretty strong farm system. Craig Hansen has a great arm, same can be said for Lester. Marte is a very good 3rd base prospect and has high upside (not the best prospect in baseball though) and I really like Jacoby Ellsbury.

Ellsbury's got some speed, can go get em defensively and had a pretty good eye in college. He was killer for those Beavers last year in college. Pedroia is an all heart guy but he's been able to hit pretty much everywhere.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 02:25 PM)
he may be the best prospect in baseball.  i don't see all that much with that statement considering baseball america and all the other non-bias publications agree for the most part.

Hands down best prospect in baseball is the kid in Seattle. Don't know if he's still considered a rookie though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
Hands down best prospect in baseball is the kid in Seattle.  Don't know if he's still considered a rookie though.

thats true, but he was up in the majors for a good portion of last season and will be up this year aswell. his "prospect" status might be gone, but if it isnt, i definitly agree.

a brave fan with over 5000 posts on this message board's opinion of andy marte:

Marte is ready. I have followed him throughout his time in the Braves minor leagues, and he posted a phenomenal season in 2004 in AA (.269/.364/.525), then followed that up last year with improvements in his game at the next level in AAA Richmond (.275/.372/.506; 64 BBs and only 83 Ks in 389, showing an improving understanding of the plate that should compliment his great power and already excellent plate discipline).

His sparse and sporadic 54 ABs at the major league level are in no way indicative of his preparedness for 2006 or his talent; he was never given consistent ABs at any point, with Wilson Betemit receiving the lion's share of the time in Chipper's absence. After being the offensive anchor throughout his time in the minors, Marte had trouble establishing any stability sitting on the bench, or waiting for a flight back to Richmond. His 2005 statistics in Richmond reveal the operative layers of the story: Marte would not gain much by repeating AAA, which was the significant factor in the Braves' trading him. As for his DWL stats, I wouldn't put too much stock in that at all; the injury rumor is more of a concern, but I have yet to see anything that confirms it, and the Braves never made any indication of that being the case — nor did his on-field results reflect anything that would lead one to believe he was injured. Though, if he does need surgery sometime in the future, now would be the time: that would buy the Sox some time to find a place for him, and reflect on Lowell's ability to man 3B, or the future of Youkilis.

But, as a premium defender capable of posting .100+ IsoOBPs and .500+ SLG%s, he is a major league-ready 3B right now. He may struggle to adjust the first month or so, which has been a typical facet of his ascension through different levels, but he is 22 and will be a major offensive producer, and defensive asset, once he settles into his major league role. He is certainly a better prospect than Andy LaRoche; he is regarded by many analysts and publications as the best offensive prospect in baseball — certainly something the Sox shouldn't mortgage for a player like Crisp, who while dynamic, is not the offensive force Marte should become in the next one or two seasons.

But, I must say, as an ancillary Sox fan (my father's family is from Natick), I am glad he will get his chance there, if not for the Braves. But he should be starting in 2006 in the major leagues, even if he has to man 1B or LF for a year. Of course, if the choice is the bench or starting in Pawtucket, I would send him to AAA — but watch him closely and keep tight reigns on Lowell.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 24, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
Yes, by default the Red Sox best prospect is automatically given the title "Best prospect in baseball"

You've got that Hanley Ramirez jersey framed and ready for sale, correct? Mucho dinero, someday.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
he may be the best prospect in baseball.

I don't know how you could rate Marte in front of Delmon Young at this stage.

You have to remember Marte's never hit over .275 since rookie ball, and his brief stint with the Braves last season didn't cause much confidence on that regard. He's a top 5 prospect no doubt, but he's not the best.

You could rate quite a few other prospects right on the same level as Marte, such as Prince Fielder, Carlos Quentin, Daric Barton and Yusmerio Petit. I suppose it just depends how much you like a prospect.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 25, 2005 -> 02:12 AM)
I don't know how you could rate Marte in front of Delmon Young at this stage.

You can't Young and Marte are not in the same class, Young won the SL MVP and came close to the SL triple crown winner at the age of 19. Young is by far the better of these 2 prospects and is not close.