2006 Hall of Fame Ballot

mox2005

Harold Baines is still a couple of years away from being on the Hall of Fame Ballot. His last year as a player was either 2001 or 2002 so it would be around 2007 I would think.

Would love to see Ozzie get in the HOF, but I sort of doubt it.

I would like to see Rich Gossage get in. :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Dec 26, 2005 -> 07:45 PM)
Harold Baines is still a couple of years away from being on the Hall of Fame Ballot. His last year as a player was either 2001 or 2002 so it would be around 2007 I would think.

Would love to see Ozzie get in the HOF, but I sort of doubt it. 

I would like to see Rich Gossage get in.  :gosoxretro:

I think Harold should get in. His career included 2 strike seasons. If those had been full seasons he would've gotten 3,000 hits.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
Maybe in 10-15 years of managing Ozzie will be a HOFer, but as a player he doesn't even deserve consideration.

I hate to say this, but Santo is so much more deserving, and if his career wasn't good enough, Oz better hope to win a few more pennants and a World Series. Absent that, buy a ticket like the rest of us.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
I hate to say this, but Santo is so much more deserving, and if his career wasn't good enough, Oz better hope to win a few more pennants and a World Series. Absent that, buy a ticket like the rest of us.

I'll probably be crucified for this, but considering the era that Santo played in, I think his numbers merit HOF status.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
I'll probably be crucified for this, but considering the era that Santo played in, I think his numbers merit HOF status.

I can't see how anyone could really disagree, IIRC his vote was always close. I wonder how he would have done with steroids in his system

And to be fair to Oz, I'd rather watch a team of Ozzies, than many of the HoF inductees. If the HoF gave points for entertainment, setting a good example, and other intangibles, I'd roll out the red carpet for him.

I wish he would get in already so he and the rest of the cubbie caredom would stop bitcing and moaning about how they are getting hosed. Maybe if they make "This Old Cub 2: Seriously folks, I want in" :huh

.277 Career Average.

342 Home Runs.

He made a ton of Errors.

He had some good stats and he was a very good player however I think HOF players are elite. Not just very good.

I think of him as good but not Hall of Fame type.

Edited by White Sox Josh

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 03:11 PM)
.277 Career Average.

342 Home Runs.

He made a ton of Errors.

He had some good stats and he was a very good player however I think HOF players are elite.  Not just very good.

342 homers today isn't much. 342 homers primarily in the 60s is like 500-600 homers today. The same goes for the .277 batting average. Rember we are talking about an era that was the best for pitchers since back into the deadball era. Santo played back when Bob Gibson put up a 1.12 era, a .301 for Yaz led a league in hitting, and it was preDH so all offensive stats during that time are WAY lower.

Errors are another stat that is misleading from that time. #1 the fields are in MUCH better condition today. You don't get nearly the bad bounces that you used to. #2 EVERYTHING was an error then. Today generous scorekeepers would rather give a guy a hit than an error if at all possible. There is not a doubt in my mind that errors are WAY lower today vs 30-40 years ago.

Don't make the mistake of comparing eras with just bald statisics. If we did that, there wouldn't be a pitcher alive today who deserves to make the HOF. You have to get off of the statsheet and compare how good players were relative to their era.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
342 homers today isn't much.  342 homers primarily in the 60s is like 500-600 homers today.  The same goes for the .277 batting average.  Rember we are talking about an era that was the best for pitchers since back into the deadball era.  Santo played back when Bob Gibson put up a 1.12 era, a .301 for Yaz led a league in hitting, and it was preDH so all offensive stats during that time are WAY lower.

Errors are another stat that is misleading from that time.  #1 the fields are in MUCH better condition today.  You don't get nearly the bad bounces that you used to.  #2 EVERYTHING was an error then.  Today generous scorekeepers would rather give a guy a hit than an error if at all possible.  There is not a doubt in my mind that errors are WAY lower today vs 30-40 years ago.

Don't make the mistake of comparing eras with just bald statisics.  If we did that, there wouldn't be a pitcher alive today who deserves to make the HOF. You have to get off of the statsheet and compare how good players were relative to their era.

This is the key. If you just looked at raw stats, you'd be forced to conclude that all of the greatest players in history played from 1925-1933 and all the greatest pitchers played from 1902-1912.

Y'all can roast me too, but Ron Santo is the best Third Baseman not currently in the HOF.

If you'll excuse me, I have to take a shower. Eeeewwww.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Dec 27, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
.277 Career Average.

342 Home Runs.

He made a ton of Errors.

He had some good stats and he was a very good player however I think HOF players are elite.  Not just very good.

Name two better 3rd basemen during his stretch.

He was named a National League All-Star 9 times in his 15 seasons of play from 1960 to 1974, and won consecutive 5 Gold Glove awards for fielding excellence from 1964 to 1968.

And he should go in with a White Sox cap