Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
It is, but to play devil's advocate, doesn't this make Garland more attractive to potential trading partners? Does this mean Contreras is on the hot seat? Are the Sox done negotiating with Contreras? It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Sign-and-trades are not very common in baseball. As a matter of fact, I thought there's a rule about how long you have to wait before you can trade a guy after signing them.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
Considering the money pitching is going for this offseason, 3/29 is just an incredible steal.

Didn't Loaiza get ridiculous cash? Unreal. Kenny came through on this one. I think we'll be playing the year out with McCarthy in the bullpen, and then he'll take over when the count leaves.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:14 PM)
Sign-and-trades are not very common in baseball.  As a matter of fact, I thought there's a rule about how long you have to wait before you can trade a guy after signing them.

I thought that was just as a free agent signing. this is a contract extension. i could be wrong though.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
Didn't Loaiza get ridiculous cash?  Unreal.  Kenny came through on this one.  I think we'll be playing the year out with McCarthy in the bullpen, and then he'll take over when the count leaves.

This is the senario i'm leaning towards thinking will happen now. Keep all 6 for another run at the title, then just let the by then at least 35 year old Count leave and B Mac take his spot.

But with Kenny, we clearly never know what to expect.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Sign-and-trades are not very common in baseball.  As a matter of fact, I thought there's a rule about how long you have to wait before you can trade a guy after signing them.

I think there is as well, but since Garland was not a free agent I don't think it would apply to him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I thought that was just as a free agent signing.  this is a contract extension.  i could be wrong though.

I don't think there is a rule for FA or extensions unless there is no trade clauses. I know though you can't trade a draft pick for year or something like that.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:18 PM)
I don't think there is a rule for FA or extensions unless there is no trade clauses.  I know though you can't trade a draft pick for year or something like that.

I'm pretty sure you can trade a new FA signee before either May 1 or June 1 of the next season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 06:10 PM)
It is, but to play devil's advocate, doesn't this make Garland more attractive to potential trading partners?

The sox could turn around and trade Jon. With him signed for 3 yrs at a reasonable amount, he'd bring a boatload in return.

One thing is for sure, having both him and Jose are a luxury few teams can afford

QUOTE(beck72 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
The sox could turn around and trade Jon. With him signed for 3 yrs at a reasonable amount, he'd bring a boatload in return.

One thing is for sure, having both him and Jose are a luxury few teams can afford

The sox would really look bad doing that. I am pretty sure Kenny has no intention to trade a 26 year old pitcher with now a reasonable contract that won 18 games last year.

Keep Contreras, even if we can't sign him!

Garcia is pitching in the World Games (or whatever it's caused) after pitching a lot of innings during the season/playoffs.

McCarthy is still young. While I think he's going to be very good, he's not proven!

I realize we can use another arm or two for our bullpen, but I hardly think it's in bad shape with Jenks, Hermanson, Cotts, Pollitte, and McCarthy (should we keep 6 starters).

If the starters stay healthy, and we have another need come August, then we can deal from a position of strength!

YES!

Thank you KW.

Our pitching staff is in tact for at least 2 years. I'm overjoyed. Even though we now have 6 starters. And that's I think a pretty fair number for JG considering what other pitchers have been getting...in a few years it'll look like a bargain.

Now KW just needs to figure out what to do with that 6th starter (Vazquez for someone else's middle infield prospect?) and make sure Mark Buehrle is signed through 2020.

I really didn't see this coming.

This means that McCarthy is likely pitching out of the pen.. something I don't really want to see, especially because I don't think Garland will pitch as well as he did last year. Oh well, time will tell I guess. It is a bargin considering the current pitching market.