Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
The payroll number is scary, but doesn't necesarily mean that we are trading someone.  Bear with me here folks.

Coming into this off season, the goal stated for season tickets was to move the base from 11,000 to 15,000 people.  Before January first even rolled around, we are at 20,000 people now, which means we are sitting on about an attendance of 1.6 million people before a single regular season single game ticket has been sold.  Last year we sold about 1.3 million of those on our way to the World Series.  This year we have a World Series title to sell tickets with.  If we even sell another million tickets or so from here on out, we are looking at another 20% increase in attendace over 2005, theoretically putting that much more cash into the budget.  I said it in August, and I will say it again, $100 million is very, very possible for this team to maintain in its current form.

"We" ?? :P

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
Your right dick, and I humbly say I am was wrong. Money talks and now the sox are over budget. anyone think Mcarthy will now be traded?

If that happens, we better be getting one of the top 5 players in baseball back. I'll be absolutely furious if he is traded, unless he's having some sort of arm problems we don't know about. I'd rather have lost Konerko, Garland, or Buehrle than trade BMac.

Sox announcement up

12/28/2005 1:11 PM ET

White Sox agree to terms on three-year contract with pitcher Jon Garland

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have agreed to terms on a three-year, $29-million contract with pitcher Jon Garland, avoiding arbitration. Under terms of the deal, Garland, who was eligible to become a free agent following the 2006 season, will receive $7 million in 2006, $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in 2008.

Garland, 26, estabished career highs in virtually every category in 2005, going 18-10 with a 3.50 ERA (86 ER/221.0 IP), three complete games (all shutouts) and 115 strikeouts in 32 starts. The 6-foot-6, 215-pound right-hander led the American League in shutouts and ranked among the leaders in wins (T2nd), quality starts (T2nd, 22), complete games (T4th), IP (8th), ERA (9th) and walks per 9.0 IP (10th, 1.91).

Garland was named to his first AL All-Star Team, throwing 1.0 scoreless IP at the Midsummer Classic in Detroit, after going 13-4 with a 3.38 ERA (45 ER/ 120.0 IP) in the first half of last season. He became the first White Sox pitcher since John Whitehead in 1935 to win his first eight starts in one season. Garland's 10-game winning streak spanning 2004-05 is tied for the fifth-longest by a White Sox pitcher since 1970.

The native of Granada Hills, Calif. was named American League Pitcher of the Month for April after going 4-0 with a 1.80 ERA (6 ER/30.0 IP), and he threw 23.0 consecutive scoreless IP from April 20-May 6.

Garland made two postseason starts for the World Champion White Sox, going 1-0 with a 2.25 ERA (4 ER/16.0 IP). He recorded a complete-game victory at Los Angeles in Game 3 of the ALCS, giving the Sox a 2-1 lead in the series, and posted a no decision in Game 3 of the World Series at Houston, allowing four runs (two earned) over 7.0 IP.

Garland is 64-61 with a 4.42 ERA (496 ER/1,009.0 IP) in 181 career games (159 starts) over six major-league seasons, all with the White Sox. Over the last four seasons (2002-05), he ranks fifth among the AL pitchers in both IP (822.1) and games started (130) and tied for ninth in wins (54).

Joe Crede and Rob Mackowiak are the White Sox lone remaining arbitration eligible players.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
IMO, the only one who really knows what the payroll is going to be is JR. Everyone can make smart estimates, and thats fine, but lets just wait and see what happensm because I think another suprise or two could be coming.

Obviously only JR, the board, and Kenny really know what is going on with the final number. I am just going with the Sox zero profits philosophy as a guide to what 2006 will bring.

The things we know are this.

-Whenever the Sox have profits one year, they payroll increases by that amount the next season.

-Whenever the Sox have losses, the payroll decreases by that amount the next season.

-There have been multiple occasions in the past where KW has gone to JR and talked him into a few million more in payroll to make a move to improve the team.

-The Sox have an estimated $15-20 million in extra revenues from the playoffs alone

-The Sox season ticket base which supported a $75 million payroll last year, has gone up almost double this year.

-The Sox get a cut of advertising revenue from CSN as a part owner of it, and we all know ad rates will be going up in 2006.

-JR is also heading the stadium negotiation committee for the Washington Nationals, so he is privy to vital info as to when the sale of the franchise will most likely be done, and how much of a share they should expect from that.

I see a lot of good signs for the Sox not having to make a big subtraction move here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:46 PM)
-JR is also heading the stadium negotiation committee for the Washington Nationals, so he is privy to vital info as to when the sale of the franchise will most likely be done, and how much of a share they should expect from that.

Good point, I heard last night that each team will get between 10-15m when they are sold

Ugh. I hope we don't plan on trading the starter that starting the first game of every series in our playoff run. He is going to be one of the best pitchers in the league this year.

Ugh. WTF was the point of trading for Vazquez then. We could have just given his money to Contreras and signed JG.

Edited by jphat007

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
The Score just said the payroll is at $102 million right now....Who knows if that number is correct, but you'd have to assume that they, according to KW, would want that payroll in the mid-90's.

I don't get this estimate. My own estimate is about $90 million:

1 Konerko $12.00

2 Buehrle $7.65

3 Garcia $9.00

4 Contreras $7.00 (Yankees pick up $2 million of $9 million salary)

5 Dye $5.00

6 Vazquez $9.00 (D-Backs pick up $2.5 million of $11.5 million salary)

7 Thome $7.50 (Phillies pick up $5.0 million of $12.5 million salary)

8 Hermanson $3.00

9 Mackowiak $2.50 (Sox agreed to pay difference in Marte/Mack contract)

10 Iguchi $2.40

11 Podsednik $1.90

12 Politte $1.20

13 Uribe $3.15

14 Widger $0.65

15 Anderson $0.35* estimate - club control

16 McCarthy $0.35* estimate - club control

17 Ozuna $0.50

18 Jenks $0.35* estimate - club control

19 Cotts $0.35

20 Crede $2.00* estimate - arbitration

21 Pierzynski $4.00

22 Garland $7.00

23 RP $1.60* estimate - free agent

24 OF $1.00* estimate - free agent

25 IF $0.60* estimate - free agent

Total $90.05

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Ugh. I hope we don't plan on trading the starter that starting the first game of every series in our playoff run. He is going to be one of the best pitchers in the league this year.

Ugh. WTF was the point of trading for Vazquez then. We could have just given his money to Contreras and signed JG.

Contreras is old and we don't know what the 2nd half last year was: his true potential or a flash of something. We need the insurance since our team is built on starting pitching.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)

You have to have insurance when you have players going into FA or in FA. It is why KW traded for Thome before resigning PK. Ultimately it helped resign PK, but KW needed to put a bat in place just in case Konerko walked.

KW had 2 of his starters unsigned going into '07 when he traded for Vazquez, now he has a 5 man rotation going into '07 and 6 ML starters for this year. With the extreme lack of pitching around the league KW has put himself in an excellent situation to either stand pat or trade from depth.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
I don't get this estimate.  My own estimate is about $90 million:

1 Konerko $12.00

2 Buehrle $7.65

3 Garcia $9.00

5 Dye $5.00

8 Hermanson $3.00

10 Iguchi  $2.40

11 Podsednik $1.90

12 Politte $1.20

13 Uribe $3.15

14 Widger $0.65

17 Ozuna $0.50

19 Cotts $0.35

21 Pierzynski $4.00

22 Garland $7.00

Total $90.05

Crede will make more than $2 million more like 3.

Great News!!

I was in the thick of work until I got a call from my brother.

I don't see us carry 6 starters the entire season. If I had a choice, I would rather keep Garland. I'm glad we are doing that. He's much younger than Contreras, as well.

One must be unloaded. Our farm system needs to be refueled.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:57 PM)

Total $90.05

just eyeballing your figures, i would say the Score isn't including the money we got from the other teams into things. The difference comes to about $10 million, which is about the difference in the numbers.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:58 PM)
Contreras is old and we don't know what the 2nd half last year was: his true potential or a flash of something.  We need the insurance since our team is built on starting pitching.

We already knew he had the stuff. All he needed was confidence. How could he be any less confident than he was in the second half? He's gotta be filled with the stuff.

I don't agree with choosing JG over JC for the next three years if thats what we did.

I will REALLY be pissed if we choose JV over JC for the next three years, especially considering how much JV makes. JC is our number 1 or 2 freaking starter.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)

1 Konerko $12.00

2 Buehrle $7.65

3 Garcia $9.00

5 Dye $5.00

8 Hermanson $3.00

10 Iguchi  $2.40

11 Podsednik $1.90

12 Politte $1.20

13 Uribe $3.15

14 Widger $0.65

17 Ozuna $0.50

19 Cotts $0.35

21 Pierzynski $4.00

22 Garland $7.00

Total $90.05

They probably didn't include the cash they are getting, or the buy-outs of the Big Hurt and Everett. Including the buyouts, its probably at about $95 million.

I was really surprised when I heard this. I didn't think he'd sign a deal like that. I know I've said that I don't want to overpay for Jon, but I can live with this. The money is a little more than I would want, but we're only committed for 3 years and it's a good price considering the market. One of my main concerns was that Jon would be a Mike Hampton-like albatross if he underachieved after we signed him to a monster 5-50ish deal, but that's not really a major concern with a 3 year deal. It's not the end of the world if he wins like 14 with a 4.20 ERA now, and if he keeps pitching like last year it's a steal.

This makes things interesting for Contreras and B-Mac. I'd think that the Sox wouldn't really want to sign Contreras to an extension now because they have Mark-Freddy-Jon-Javier signed through next year and McCarthy looks like he's about as ready as you can be. If you did sign Contreras for another 2 or 3 years, that's really diminishing Brandon's value during that time. However, it now looks like Brandon is a reliever out of the pen, although it still is conceivable that Jose gets traded.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
just eyeballing your figures, i would say the Score isn't including the money we got from the other teams into things.  The difference comes to about $10 million, which is about the difference in the numbers.

That sounds reasonable to me. The Sox are getting $5 for Thome, $2 for the Count, $2.5 for Vazquez. That's $9.5 million right there.

I just can't see them keeping Contrerars at $7 million if everyone else is locked up and McCarthy is available at $350k.

I just worry that McCarthy now becomes trade bait. He's probably the most valuable trade piece the Sox have right now b/c of his low salary and good performance. And we all know that Kenny LOVES to trade away prospects.

Score said there will be a conference call with JG later today, so keep your ears open for that. Also, usually the Sox arrange for new additions or people signing extensions to interview with the local sports talkers, so monitor the Score and ESPN for a JG interview. I will be interested to hear what JG or KW has to say.