Jon Garland signs a 3 year extension

LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
I think we are looking at a 6 pitcher rotation. Did you notice how much stronger our guys were during the post season when they had some extra rest? Of course we might not see that rotation until the middle of May or so because of early off days during April, but I think it would be awesome.

I really don't think that will happen. We resisted that toward the end of the year when it looked like El Duque was getting healthy and B-Mac was pitching well. McCarthy is almost certainly destined for the bullpen if we keep all of our starters, especially since we currently seem to have a few holes there. We still could end up trading one of our starters since we obviously have a lot of talent there, but it seems that the most likely scenario right now is that B-Mac pitches in the pen this year mostly in long relief and gets a spot start if someone gets hurt. Then next year we don't resign Contreras and let him get a huge contract elsewhere, take the two draft picks, and plug B-Mac into the #5 hole while we work on extensions for Mark and Freddy.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jon signing is a HUGE surprise...just because of all the contract reports. I could see a trade happening now...but if it does not knock Kenny's socks off it probably won't happen until the season starts and teams are even more desperate. Kenny is in the best situation with his abundance of pitching depth but could sign another bullpen arm or 2.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Is Garland tradeable?  I thought teams had to wait a certain period of time before trading a player after signing him or extending him

That's only for free agents, since Jon was still under our control trading him would not be a problem.

In baseball, usually a player is traded prior to signing the extension, and the new team tries to work out a contract extension. Considering that Garland could possibly not want to play for the team he would get traded to, I highly doubt we see him get traded. Garland signed a 3/29 deal to stay with the White Sox....not the Orioles!

I don't think Tejada is coming to the Southside, JC will get an extention.

Pitching is our heart & soul and last I checked uribe's glove was pretty good.

I would love to have MT but I think Kenny is going to firm up the pitching for a few years so the staff will be together for a while.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:35 PM)
i wonder this as well, particularly as it relates to vazquez, buehrle and garcia pitching in the wbc this year.

I don't think it's really an issue. I haven't heard the final decision, but supposedly the teams were placing fairly strict pitch counts on starters, especially in the earlier games. I remember hearing something like 45 pitches for the pre-lim rounds, about 70 for the next round, and 90 for the finals. It also probably isn't as big an issue since none of our guys are the #1 starter for their country, meaning they aren't too likely to get the start in the title game, and still far from a lock to start in the semi-finals.

There's something wrong with all of this. A spot in the rotation for B-Mac won't become available until 2008? Something is fishy here, Brandon has to be in this rotation. If not this year, then next year for sure. Get rid of Count, I'm afraid that second half of last year was a fluke. But then again, I think that maybe Cooper did really finally get through to him and he can go on for many more years with great stuff.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
I really don't think that will happen. We resisted that toward the end of the year when it looked like El Duque was getting healthy and B-Mac was pitching well. McCarthy is almost certainly destined for the bullpen if we keep all of our starters, especially since we currently seem to have a few holes there. We still could end up trading one of our starters since we obviously have a lot of talent there, but it seems that the most likely scenario right now is that B-Mac pitches in the pen this year mostly in long relief and gets a spot start if someone gets hurt. Then next year we don't resign Contreras and let him get a huge contract elsewhere, take the two draft picks, and plug B-Mac into the #5 hole while we work on extensions for Mark and Freddy.

he'll probably get spot starts more regularly than if someone's hurt, just to keep guys fresh. say Garcia throws more than 100 pitches in his previous outing, give him an extra day or two off to recuperate, therefore preventing an injury.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
There's something wrong with all of this. A spot in the rotation for B-Mac won't become available until 2008? Something is fishy here, Brandon has to be in this rotation. If not this year, then next year for sure. Get rid of Count, I'm afraid that second half of last year was a fluke. But then again, I think that maybe Cooper did really finally get through to him and he can go on for many more years with great stuff.

Contreras is a FA after this year, meaning that until he signs an extension B-Mac has a rotation spot in 2007.

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:39 PM)
I don't think Tejada is coming to the Southside, JC will get an extention.

Pitching is our heart & soul and last I checked uribe's glove was pretty good.

I would love to have MT but I think Kenny is going to firm up the pitching for a few years so the staff will be together for a while.

I agree with your statement. I was just joking with my previous comment. If anything, KW will be subtracting payroll not adding on some more monster contract. Plus, he has Crede and Mackowiak arbitration elibigible and he probably needs more payroll room if he wants to make some moves during the season.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)

s*** happens, pitchers get hurt, they become ineffective. If BMac keeps pitching like he did towards the end of the season, even if no one gets traded, he will have a spot in the rotation fairly quickly.

Edited by Dick Allen

Come on, Jose wasn't a fluke. That's just silly. He might not get back to that form if he leaves but if he stays here he will have a great year. I think at the end of the day the Sox could have signed either for that money and went with the guy who is 6-7 years younger. I can't begrudge them much as that is the logical choice but I don't like it

In baseball, usually a player is traded prior to signing the extension, and the new team tries to work out a contract extension.  Considering that Garland could possibly not want to play for the team he would get traded to, I highly doubt we see him get traded.  Garland signed a 3/29 deal to stay with the White Sox....not the Orioles!

The Sox are in control, not Garland. There are so many different things that can happen, personally I think there will be another move. Might not be Garland, but I think there will be something else coming.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:50 PM)
Come on, Jose wasn't a fluke. That's just silly. He might not get back to that form if he leaves but if he stays here he will have a great year. I think at the end of the day the Sox could have signed either for that money and went with the guy who is 6-7 years younger. I can't begrudge them much as that is the logical choice but I don't like it

It's not a fluke that he pitched well, but it probably is a fluke that he pitched as well as he did in the second half. I don't think he's going back to the 4.50-plus ERA days, but I also don't think he has a sub-3 ERA like he did in the second half. I don't think he wins more than about 16 or has an ERA under 3.40 because he's going to have those games once in a while were his pitch count is really high and he has to leave early, or days when his forkball isn't breaking like he wants. Those are still good numbers, but not staff ace numbers. His age is also a concern, you never know when he might start to lose some velocity or break on his forkball, or when he might start to have some more nagging injuries that affect his performance.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Way to much for a guy who had 1 good year, not a big fan of paying Garland this much. No way should he get this high a contract from a desperate team yes from the White Sox .............NO :huh:

Ha!!!!!!!!

Thanks for giving me a good chuckle at the end of the day.

QUOTE(JimH @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
The Sox are in control, not Garland.  There are so many different things that can happen, personally I think there will be another move.  Might not be Garland, but I think there will be something else coming.

I would hope the Sox organization is classy enough to be upfront with Garland during negotiations. If you sign a player for the purposes of trading him, and you don't let him know that, then that's just dirty negotiating. I'm not worried about this though, cause I'm sure Garland and the Sox know exactly what they want to do.

I think this gives the White Sox a great opportunity for the first half of the season next year. Everyone is worried about the WBC taking its toll on the MLB players, so the White Sox get a chance to actually go with a 6 man rotation until the trade deadline if needs be, and move one of 6 pitchers to fortify the rest of the team. Kenny is awesome, no doubt about it.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Dec 28, 2005 -> 02:05 PM)
It sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense now.  I guess will have to wait and see what Kenny's got up his sleeve next.

Just my opinion, but I think that Garland is still on the trade block. I would guess that Kenny was having problems moving Garland for what he wanted because he was going to be a free agent next year. Who would really want to give up much for a guy that you are not sure you can keep after 1 year? This move really ups his trade value because other teams now know that they will have him locked up for a few years. We still have a large hole in the bullpen that needs to be filled, and that is what I see happening next.