Raffy still didnt do it

wilmot825

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Here's something I've always wondered about Raffy's story:

I remember reading that Palmeiro said that Tejada gave him a vitamin injection of some kind.  Steroids issue aside, WTF is Tejada doing with drugs and syringes?.....and WTF is he doing playing Dr.?

The only reason I still have doubt that Raffy took steroids is that there is really no reason for him to keep up this charade anymore. Whats the point for Raffy? This guy has made his money and had a good career. And if his career was close to being over before this happened, it must be over now. Why does he want to keep pushing it?

If knowingly he did it, you would think he would just come clean and say "Man I screwed up, I saw my career slipping away and tried for one more glory season.", and just walk away from the game. The most unfortunate thing for Raffy is the only proof anywhere is in his test that he failed. He has nothing on Tejada except a story.

It just seems to not be worth it for Palmeiro to drag it out this long if he really did it.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
The only reason I still have doubt that Raffy took steroids is that there is really no reason for him to keep up this charade anymore.  Whats the point for Raffy?  This guy has made his money and had a good career.  And if his career was close to being over before this happened, it must be over now.  Why does he want to keep pushing it? 

If knowingly he did it, you would think he would just come clean and say "Man I screwed up, I saw my career slipping away and tried for one more glory season.", and just walk away from the game.  The most unfortunate thing for Raffy is the only proof anywhere is in his test that he failed.    He has nothing on Tejada except a story.

It just seems to not be worth it for Palmeiro to drag it out this long if he really did it.

like, say Pete Rose?

There are a lot of people, especially kids who look up to ballplayers and just don't want to believe that players juice. For those people, all you have to do is plant a little bit of doubt in their minds and they'll believe you. As long as he keeps saying; "I have no idea how it happened", that's good enough for a lot of people.

I fell what you're saying though and I agree with it.

It is really hard to believe that someone would go in front of Congress on National TV and state that they never did steroids, surpass a major Baseball milestone, then get caught doing steroids in about a 4 month time frame? Something seemed really odd about the whole situation when it went down.

I am pretty sure that he did take some type of performance enhancer, but he never looked like a true roid guy like Giambi, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, or Canseco. Those guys looked like they were on roids, Raffy never did, but his numbers definitely reflect something happened to him in the early 90's. He went from hitting 8 HR's in a full season in 1989 to hitting 37 in 1993, then hit 38 or more HRs from 1995 - 2003.

Sosa - 15 HRs in 1990, then hit between 35 and 66 HRs from 1995 - 2004. The years are ironically similar.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
The only reason I still have doubt that Raffy took steroids is that there is really no reason for him to keep up this charade anymore.  Whats the point for Raffy?  This guy has made his money and had a good career.  And if his career was close to being over before this happened, it must be over now.  Why does he want to keep pushing it? 

If knowingly he did it, you would think he would just come clean and say "Man I screwed up, I saw my career slipping away and tried for one more glory season.", and just walk away from the game.  The most unfortunate thing for Raffy is the only proof anywhere is in his test that he failed.    He has nothing on Tejada except a story.

The only point by denying it is to save face. If he admits it, he would have zero chance at the Hall of Fame. That seems to be his only reasoning, unless he really didn't do it.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
I am pretty sure that he did take some type of performance enhancer, but he never looked like a true roid guy like Giambi, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa, or Canseco.  Those guys looked like they were on roids, Raffy never did, but his numbers definitely reflect something happened to him in the early 90's.  He went from hitting 8 HR's in a full season in 1989 to hitting 37 in 1993, then hit 38 or more HRs from 1995 - 2003.

One of the things about steroids is that you can find different steroids which will do different things to your body. There are steroids like THG, which seem to make your body explode like happened to Bonds & Sosa, but then there are others like Winstrol which supposedly help you add muscle mass and strengthen your body but without making yourself look like the governnor of California - your body doesn't explode.

There's lots of ways to be a "true" roid guy, and I believe even Canseco's book says that the reason Raffy took Winstrol was that he didn't want to look like a monster.

QUOTE(HighHeat45 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Even though i dont believe his story for a second, what if Tejada is running some drug ring and then he gets traded to the cubs and like a week into the season he gets caught and is suspended for what is it now 50 games. I would laugh so hard. :bang

Makes me wonder why that SS-HR Derby King-clown is so sougth after. I'd want NO part of Miggy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 01:29 PM)
One of the things about steroids is that you can find different steroids which will do different things to your body.  There are steroids like THG, which seem to make your body explode like happened to Bonds & Sosa, but then there are others like Winstrol which supposedly help you add muscle mass and strengthen your body but without making yourself look like the governnor of California - your body doesn't explode.

There's lots of ways to be a "true" roid guy, and I believe even Canseco's book says that the reason Raffy took Winstrol was that he didn't want to look like a monster.

That kind of makes sense, but why wouldn't everyone just take Winstrol so it doesn't look so obvious.

QUOTE(WinninUgly @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:59 AM)
That kind of makes sense, but why wouldn't everyone just take Winstrol so it doesn't look so obvious.

It's easier to test for than some of the "Designer" drugs like our friends the cream & clear (which were designed specifically to evade tests), and frankly, who's numbers would you rather put up...Sosa/McGwire/Bonds or Palmeiro?

And then there's the third issue...sometimes a weaker one may just not do well enough in a particular person's body...we've never really had controlled trials of any of these drugs, so we're only going off of anecdotes of the guys who used them. Who's to say that THG would turn everyone who took it into a monster like Bonds? Who's to say that Winstrol would have been enough to turn everyone wh o took it into a 40 HR a year guy.