Can Tejada be a reality?

rangercal

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Besides having enormous talent...does anybody think getting Tejada would be a HUGE mistake for the makeup and a little thing that was emphasized last year...chemistry?!?  Personally....I'm sick of hearing about the guy....just STFU and play what you're paid $12M to do. Seriously...do you really want somebody waffling like this when things start to go a little bad on the team.  Did we hear one player panic, b****, complain or moan during septembers freefall?!?

Does this team really need this kind of crap?!?...no.  Stay away from the light Kenny....

He's been a pretty good guy his whole career. I agree that dealing with his frustration through the media is the wrong thing to do, and while I probably wouldn't give Baltimore the players they would require to move him, he's a solid character guy.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wanne @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
Besides having enormous talent...does anybody think getting Tejada would be a HUGE mistake for the makeup and a little thing that was emphasized last year...chemistry?!?  Personally....I'm sick of hearing about the guy....just STFU and play what you're paid $12M to do. Seriously...do you really want somebody waffling like this when things start to go a little bad on the team.   Did we hear one player panic, b****, complain or moan during septembers freefall?!?

Does this team really need this kind of crap?!?...no.   Stay away from the light Kenny....

This team doesn't really need that but this is how i look a certain players requesting a trade. It is like a regular person asking for a transfer because of various reasons, he is asking for a trade because baltimore sucks. See the connection.

Edited by sayitaintso

If you think Bruce Levine is reporting falsities simply because the Cubs organization now has interest in Tejada, I really have no rebuttal.

The guy reports what he hears. It's known the Sox are currently over-budget, the Sox would be hard-pressed to trade similar contracts, and Tejada would almost surely mean yet another raise in payroll.

Even if the guy is just connecting the dots, it makes an lot of sense to me.

The chances of Tejada coming to the Beloved are no greater than 25%.

I know from a friend with the WS, that Baltimore asked for Contreras, BMac and Uribe. The Sox countered with 1) Contreras, Uribe and Sweeney and a pitching prospect. Baltimore has not yet responded.

The other offers do not fly because they are unrealistic (Cubs) or are within the division (Red Sox). The wild card in this deal will be the Astros.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
If you think Bruce Levine is reporting falsities simply because the Cubs organization now has interest in Tejada, I really have no rebuttal.

The guy reports what he hears.  It's known the Sox are currently over-budget, the Sox would be hard-pressed to trade similar contracts, and Tejada would almost surely mean yet another raise in payroll.

Yes it does make a lot of sense but it's bruce levine.

The guy reports what he hears.  It's known the Sox are currently over-budget, the Sox would be hard-pressed to trade similar contracts, and Tejada would almost surely mean yet another raise in payroll.

It might make sense, but then he was just BSing the first rumor. The Sox were overbudget then, they were going to have to give Garland at least $7 million in arbitration. He makes crap up. He is known nationally for doing that. I don't think the Sox are a player for Tejada, and I don't think they ever realistically were.

The hell with Levine. I much rather listen to some of the dim soxtalk posts that we have here in this message board instead of Bruuuuuce. Yeah, I went there.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
It might make sense, but then he was just BSing the first rumor. The Sox were overbudget then, they were going to have to give Garland at least $7 million in arbitration.  He makes crap up. He is known nationally for doing that. I don't think the Sox are a player for Tejada, and I don't think they ever realistically were.

AndytheClowns source said they had made an offer to us, wether that is true i don't know.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:07 AM)
In an attempt to stop these threads, ESPN 1000's Bruce Levine is reporting that although Kenny Williams and company have interest in Tejada, they are in no position to add to a payroll that is already over-budget.  I think he said the acquisition of Tejada would mean for roughly $8M per year.

Kenny is looking to cut pay-roll, not add to it.

These rumors are now over.

Bruce is wrong. The White Sox OWNERSHIP group has agreed that they would spend up to 106 Mil. As to this deal, I do not think it will happen because the Sox's refusal to give up BMac. Budget will not be an issue with any of the decisions KW makes. The Ownership group wants to win this thing again.

For all those defending Bruce Levine, go back a couple of weeks. HE WAS THE ONE SPREADING THE RUMOR OF BMAC AND URIBE FOR TEJADA. If they are over budget now, that would have blown them out of the water overbudget. Now he says Tejada to the Sox won't happen because of budget concerns. If he was telling the truth a couple of weeks ago, he is lying now. If he is telling the truth now, he was bulls***ting a couple of weeks ago. The White Sox current budget has not changed since he made his initial comments, at least for 2006. Garland's $7 million is what he would have gotten anyway, if not more in arbitration.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:32 AM)
I have said it a few times before, and I will say it again. Bruce SUCKS when it comes to rumors with teams outside of Chicago. But when it comes to the Sox and Cubs, Bruce has been pretty good with the news he breaks and rumors he has.

He has broken national stories as well...the Andy Pettitte signing comes to mind.

Sorry, but, he's a lot more in the know that some of our internet "baseball experts" would like to believe.

Whenever you are in his position, you are going to get burned. He reports the Sox are a lock to sign Vizquel, then, Saben comes in with his guarnteed third year and sweeps him up. It happens. But, to say the guy has no credibility and to dismiss him as some yuck is just foolish.

Soxtalk's AndyTheClown reports...

I'll take Levine.

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:17 AM)
This may be true, but with all due respect, Bruce Levine "is in no position" to have any freakin clue what KW will do next.  Even if Levine has heard this directly from KW's kidney stone, it may be to get his nose out of it and stay under the radar. 

I'm not saying anything is gonna happen, I just am not gonna take Levine's word for it.

DING DING DING!! We have a winner! Wasn't Bruce Levine reporting that he was positive that Jon Garland would be traded before spring training? Levine doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, whenever I hear him report something it goes in one ear and out the other.

As for acquiring Tejada for the White Sox, forget it. We have Thome/Konerko/Dye and I think Joe Crede is finally going to put up some real solid numbers this year. We have plenty of power. Get us another arm for the pen, a bat off the bench and we're set.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
AndytheClowns source said they had made an offer to us, wether that is true i don't know.

I think "offer" is too strong a word.

From my source (who is reliable) the Orioles and KW had a conversation. When Tejada came up, the Orioles told KW that these are the players that would have to be included to continue the conversation.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:43 AM)
DING DING DING!! We have a winner! Wasn't Bruce Levine reporting that he was positive that Jon Garland would be traded before spring training? Levine doesn't know what the hell he's talking about, whenever I hear him report something it goes in one ear and out the other.

As for acquiring Tejada for the White Sox, forget it. We have Thome/Konerko/Dye and I think Joe Crede is finally going to put up some real solid numbers this year. We have plenty of power. Get us another arm for the pen, a bat off the bench and we're set.

CWSOX45

The problem with trading uribe in this is uribe could be used as the new #2 hitter in the lineup so tadahito can move down. I'm not stating that uribe hitting behind pods is a sure thing, but i have heard that idea floated around.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(AndytheClown1 @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
I think "offer" is too strong a word. 

From my source (who is reliable) the Orioles and KW had a conversation.  When Tejada came up, the Orioles told KW that these are the players that would have to be included to continue the conversation.

Is your source a shareholder? I'm not busting your balls I just wonder who KW and friends would give this information to.

The problem with trading uribe in this is uribe could be used as the new #2 hitter in the lineup so tadahito can move down. I'm not stating that uribe hitting behind pods is a sure thing, but i have heard that idea floated around.

It wouldn't be a big deal at all. You could keep Iguchi as your #2 hitter, use Tejada as your #3 hitter, and bump everyone else down a slot.

Podsednik

Iguchi

Tejada

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Crede

Anderson

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:47 AM)

I also have heard the same thing, and I actually don't want Juan traded. Juan Uribe works his ass off, and plays hard every day. I will be devastated to see Juan go, the last two plays of the World Series are only a small fraction of all the outstanding plays Juan has made this year due to his heart and hustle.

Juan Uribe is a poor man's Miguel Tejada, and my main concern is keeping our rotation together. I'm satisfied with what we have now, and I think only minor tweaking is needed.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
What would be better for the Sox hostile takeover of the Chicago baseball market this off season, than snatching the player the scrub fans have targeted as their savior. 

The Cub fans I talk to want absolutely no part of Tejada. They're under the impression that he's a real SOB, clubhouse cancer type. Many in Baltimore said that he gave up on the team in the second half last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 10:48 AM)
Is your source a shareholder? I'm not busting your balls I just wonder who KW and friends would give this information to.

I'm curious to who their source is too. It sounds like it is coming from someone in the room while KW is on the phone with the other team.

Let me add one thing.....Miguel Tejada is leaps and bounds better than Juan Uribe. I keep seeing things like "Uribe is bound to excel offensively, etc." Even if Uribe was consistent all season (very unlikely with him), he wouldn't come close to matching Tejada's production. I was definitely against trade McCarthy in the Tampa deal for Huff/Baez, but if we do end up trading him, at least let it be for a superstar like Tejada.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Dec 29, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
Count and uribe would make the most sense to me in any deal for Tejada.

The O's, who are re-building at this point, wouldn't want an aging, inconsistent pitcher like Contreras who costs ~ $8 million and is a FA next season.

If I were them, I'd want either Buehrle, Garland, or McCarthy + Uribe and a minor-leaguer. And if I were KW, there's no way in hell I'd trade Buehrle or Garland.

QUOTE(Adam G @ Dec 30, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
The Cub fans I talk to want absolutely no part of Tejada.  They're under the impression that he's a real SOB, clubhouse cancer type.  Many in Baltimore said that he gave up on the team in the second half last year.

Well, Cubs fans are idiots (no s***) because Tejada on their team would win them probably 10 more games than Prior.