Borchard Called Up!

Disco72

I'm sure the season ticket holders have just gotten this email:

WHITE SOX RECALL JOE BORCHARD FROM CLASS AAA CHARLOTTE;

PLACE WILLIE HARRIS ON 15-DAY DISABLED LIST

CHICAGO - Prior to tonight’s game vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox recalled outfielder Joe Borchard from Class AAA Charlotte and placed infielder/outfielder Willie Harris on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 22) with a Grade 1 (mild) separation of the AC joint in his right shoulder.

Borchard, 24, was hitting .224 (30-134) with three home runs and 20 RBI in 34 games with the Knights. He played in 31 games in center field and three in left. Borchard, a switch-hitter, batted .297 (19-64) with two home runs and 13 RBI in April but dropped to .157 (11-70) with one homer and seven RBI in May.

Borchard was selected by the White Sox in the first round (12th overall) of the 2000 draft. He made his major-league debut with the Sox in 2002, hitting .222 (8-36) with two home runs and five RBI in 16 games. In his first major-league game on September 2, 2002 at Toronto, Borchard homered in his second at-bat off the Blue Jays Corey Thurman.

Harris, 24, was batting .162 (6-37) in 14 games with the White Sox since his recall from Charlotte on May 2. He suffered the injury on May 16 at Minnesota while making a diving catch in center field. Harris hit .420 (34-81) with five home runs and 12 RBI in 23 games for the Knights.

The left-handed hitter was leading the International League in average and ranked among the league leaders in on-base percentage (2nd, .483), runs scored (T2nd, 20), hits (3rd), slugging percentage (4th, .691), home runs (T4th) and extra-base hits (T5th, 11) at the time of his promotion.

Well he can't be any worse than what we've been carting out there every night. At least he's a power threat - he should make sure he stays away from our other power guys though, they got some bad voodoo right now.

I think it's a wash (CF or RF) - niether him nor Mags is really equiped to play that position.

CF that is...

Thanks for the update Disco...

I believe Borchard does play CF consistently in Charlotte though, so I'd think he'd be ready for that.

I think it's a wash (CF or RF) - niether him nor Mags is really equiped to play that position.

CF that is...

My bet is he will play CF. He will handle it adequately but not knock anyone's Sox off. He'll make an occasional error that will have Sox fans all over cursing at their TV and pounding f*** into their keyboards.

Why not give the guy a chance. If Willie can tear it up in AAA and fail miserably in Chicago, then why can't the opposite be true for Borchard? Sometimes things just don't make sense and they don't always progress naturally. We'll see if he can "find himself" in Chicago.

CF that is...

My bet is he will play CF. He will handle it adequately but not knock anyone's Sox off. He'll make an occasional error that will have Sox fans all over cursing at their TV and pounding f*** into their keyboards.

Why not give the guy a chance. If Willie can tear it up in AAA and fail miserably in Chicago, then why can't the opposite be true for Borchard? Sometimes things just don't make sense and they don't always progress naturally. We'll see if he can "find himself" in Chicago.

The sad thing is, if he struggles, the assholes I hear out in the bleachers will be hurling the insults and screaming for him to be released.

He's been groomed to play CF through his minor league career; true. But we all know that he's destined for a corner position, and as I said, he can't be any worse than what we've had out there so far this year. I'm all for it, let's see if he's ready.

(tongue in cheek) Another superstar prospect coming to fruition.

I am waiting to see what Borchard can do. One thing I would guess is that Riso isn't going to see playing time in place of Borchard. What does that mean for Rios? The 4th outfielder or involved in a trade.

Watching ESPN2 on Monday to see Borchard in Toronto.

I'm sure the season ticket holders have just gotten this email:

WHITE SOX RECALL JOE BORCHARD FROM CLASS AAA CHARLOTTE;

PLACE WILLIE HARRIS ON 15-DAY DISABLED LIST

CHICAGO - Prior to tonight’s game vs. Detroit, the Chicago White Sox recalled outfielder Joe Borchard from Class AAA Charlotte and placed infielder/outfielder Willie Harris on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to May 22) with a Grade 1 (mild) separation of the AC joint in his right shoulder.

Borchard, 24, was hitting .224 (30-134) with three home runs and 20 RBI in 34 games with the Knights.  He played in 31 games in center field and three in left.  Borchard, a switch-hitter, batted .297 (19-64) with two home runs and 13 RBI in April but dropped to .157 (11-70) with one homer and seven RBI in May.

Borchard was selected by the White Sox in the first round (12th overall) of the 2000 draft.  He made his major-league debut with the Sox in 2002, hitting .222 (8-36) with two home runs and five RBI in 16 games.  In his first major-league game on September 2, 2002 at Toronto, Borchard homered in his second at-bat off the Blue Jays Corey Thurman.

Harris, 24, was batting .162 (6-37) in 14 games with the White Sox since his recall from Charlotte on May 2.  He suffered the injury on May 16 at Minnesota while making a diving catch in center field.  Harris hit .420 (34-81) with five home runs and 12 RBI in 23 games for the Knights. 

The left-handed hitter was leading the International League in average and ranked among the league leaders in on-base percentage (2nd, .483), runs scored (T2nd, 20), hits (3rd), slugging percentage (4th, .691), home runs (T4th) and extra-base hits (T5th, 11) at the time of his promotion.

ABOUT f***IN TIME :headbang

CWSOX45

I'm definately watching tonights game. For a while I've been thinking that maybe all Joe needs is the jump to AAA where he can work with Walker, Manuel and the rest of the staff and just kind of have fun and get adjusted to major league pitching. Hopefully he will keep improving like I think he will. He's a hell of a defensive player, has great speed and can make things happen.

Hell yea, I'll be there this weekend as well, what great timing!  :headbang

Damn that couldn't work out any better for you. The one person who was calling for him to come up all along and now you get to see him. Hopefully he crushes the ball all weekend. :headbang

That is interesting.  On one hand I don't think he is ready, but on the other I am excited to see him up here.  Let's hope Willie Harris becomes Wally Pipp!

Same here southsider. I didnt want him called up so soon and I expect him to struggle, but it'll be nice to see what he can do.

Here's a funny story, I just got on-line a few minutes ago, and I went to look at the Sox line-up tonite as the first thing, and under yahoo line-ups, CF was listed as "Unknown", and I made a joke to myself, like "What did they call up Borchard or something?" next site I go to, whitesox.com....

I still don't know about this move though, we'll see, maybe Walker will be able to straighten him out or something. Now I'm f***ing pissed that I have no TV for today's game!!!

Here's a funny story, I just got on-line a few minutes ago, and I went to look at the Sox line-up tonite as the first thing, and under yahoo line-ups, CF was listed as "Unknown", and I made a joke to myself, like "What did they call up Borchard or something?" next site I go to, whitesox.com....

I still don't know about this move though, we'll see, maybe Walker will be able to straighten him out or something. Now I'm f***ing pissed that I have no TV for today's game!!!

I'm pissed too. Just went to the guide looking for it and the freaking thing isn't on. What a bunch of crapola.

I'm pissed too. Just went to the guide looking for it and the freaking thing isn't on. What a bunch of crapola.

I just thought of something awesome though, Joey B's been called up just in time, the Sox-Dodgers Series is coming up! :headbang :headbang