Does your Church make you feel like this?

Texsox

It must be all of the Islamic missonaries giving out sandwiches that is making it the fastest growing religion on earth.

Nope, it's the boarding schools setup and funded by groups like Al-Qaeda that provide the children of many of these poor countries with the only chance at an education that they will ever have. Unfortunately, part of the curriculum involves teaching that america is the devil and must be destroyed. IN some ways, this is absolutely missionary-type work. Not the good kind however.

Your statements are ignorant at best.

Based on what? Because you don't believe them? Fantastic!

I understand that you are a "recovering" catholic and for whatever reason you feel its in the best interest of everyone to s*** on Catholics and the church in general but find a new act.

I haven't "s***" on anybody. It's you people that can't handle being challenged and resort to name-calling and pulling comments and trashing them completely out of context.

The only way you know about missonaries is if you travelled with them, and worked directly with them.  Just because they glossed over it in class doesnt mean that you have the working knowledge of how it works.

I've never been to a brewery, never worked directly with anyone who worked at a brewery. However I am 100% certain that I have a working knowledge of how beer is made. This statement is 5 billion times more ignorant than anything you're accusing me of

22 years of catholic schools huh, you must have your doctorate. 

You must be friends with WCSox. Please point me to where I said anything other than 22 years of cath. school qualifies me to have anything other a WORKING KNOWLEDGE of missionary work. I wonder what you're saying about the catholic education system if you're claiming that I don't have some idea of what they do after 22 years?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Unfortunately? You want a Godless America?  No wonder the liberals are dragging this country right down the s***ter.

You don't have to go to church to believe in God.

I can pray to and worship whoever I want in my own home just as well as I could in a church. Plus it's free.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, I'm a real bastard for trying to argue that divine justice is an effective deterrent of immoral behavior.  Damn me!

Nobody's claiming to be holier than anybody.

:headshake

Typical response from an anti-religious liberal whose brain in only capable of formulating ad hominem attacks.

Talk about hypocritical...

:rolly

Yeah, I can see how you aren't claiming to be better than anyone, Mercy! :bang

QUOTE(Iwritecode @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
You don't have to go to church to believe in God.

I can pray to and worship whoever I want in my own home just as well as I could in a church. Plus it's free.

Besides even the bible saids "Where two or more are gathered in my name, I am there."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:40 PM)
Yeah, I can see how you aren't claiming to be better than anyone, Mercy! :bang

Of course, you forgot about the post that started it...

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:12 PM)
You're missing the point, again, and you've moved into posting rebuttals that make no sense whatsoever.  Have fun with that, and please pass the pro-religion baton to someone capable of debating this without the aforementioned b.s.  You're not Juggernaut's relative by chance, are you?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Of course, you forgot about the post that started it...

W&O also didn't claim that he wasn't trying to be better than anyone else either. Those are some awful condesending posts for someone who isn't trying to be holier than thou. Its a delicious irony to say the least.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
W&O also didn't claim that he wasn't trying to be better than anyone else either.  Those are some awful condesending posts for someone who isn't trying to be holier than thou.  Its a delicious irony to say the least.

If you read back through the thread, you'll see that W&O was the first to fire off a condescending post. You'll have to forgive me for being defensive.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
W&O also didn't claim that he wasn't trying to be better than anyone else either. 

Man, do I have a bad rep around here or what? I certainly DO NOT claim to be better than anyone else here, but I do pose the challenge to any objective parties to go through this thread and tell me where I was out of line? I mean, you write "the car is red" and the response you get is "oh, so blue cars suck?" and you can only politely point out the error in the logic so many times before it just pisses you off.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
Man, do I have a bad rep around here or what?  I certainly DO NOT claim to be better than anyone else here, but I do pose the challenge to any objective parties to go through this thread and tell me where I was out of line?  I mean, you write "the car is red" and the response you get is "oh, so blue cars suck?" and you can only politely point out the error in the logic so many times before it just pisses you off.

How about we just forget about this misunderstanding before people get more pissed off at each other? My apologies if I offended anybody, as that wasn't my intent.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
But your response was to a posting about going to Church.

In any case, same question.  Do all people who do not believe in God, or not believe in your particular vision of God, belong in the "s***ter"?  Do you actually believe that making American better or stronger necessitates a belief in a specific God?

If we want America to be better, maybe we should focus on actually fixing the problems that exist, instead of hitching our fortunes to one particular guiding force in some people's lives.  Especially since this country is supposed to be a secular state, protecting the freedoms of all believers and non-believers.  Let's focus on the problems at hand, and not fall into the intellectual laziness that is mass-cultural stereotyping and categorization.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 12:25 PM)
Unfortunately? You want a Godless America?  No wonder the liberals are dragging this country right down the s***ter.

Which proves the authors point that in many Churches, members must worship the GOP along with Jesus. Even YASNY believes that liberals are Godless.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)
Which proves the authors point that in many Churches, members must worship the GOP along with Jesus. Even YASNY believes that liberals are Godless.

So be it, then. In general, any philosophy the believes in the murder of babies and attempting to exclude God from our society is in my opion, Godless. If the shoe fits ...

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 03:13 AM)
So be it, then.  In general, any philosophy the believes in the murder of babies and attempting to exclude God from our society is in my opion, Godless.  If the shoe fits ...

Liberals murder babies? :headshake

BTW, there are liberals in Church with you. Too bad that half the population that voted, voted for the liberal candidates the last four elections. So in your opinion, half of America wants to drag the country down the s***ter. you must be S c a r e d

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 06:48 AM)
Liberals murder babies?  :headshake

BTW, there are liberals in Church with you. Too bad that half the population that voted, voted for the liberal candidates the last four elections. So in your opinion, half of America wants to drag the country down the s***ter. you must be S c a r e d

Abortion, my friend ... that's what I call murdering babies. I was talking about the philosophical backing of abortion, by liberals. I never said liberals murder babies. Stop twisting my words.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 07:11 AM)
Abortion, my friend ... that's what I call murdering babies.  I was talking about the philosophical backing of abortion, by liberals.  I never said liberals murder babies.  Stop twisting my words.

LOL, OK YAS, I'm not taking the bait. :cheers

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
Abortion, my friend ... that's what I call murdering babies.  I was talking about the philosophical backing of abortion, by liberals.  I never said liberals murder babies.  Stop twisting my words.

In general, any philosophy the believes in the murder of babies

That's exactly what you're saying. It seems pretty direct. Just maybe when someone else says it and attaches your name to it, you're actually hearing how ridiculous it sounds.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
That's exactly what you're saying. It seems pretty direct. Just maybe when someone else says it and attaches your name to it, you're actually hearing how ridiculous it sounds.

1. Liberals philosophically support abortion.

2. Regardless of the laws of this land, in God's eyes, I believe it's murder.

That's not saying liberals murder babies. However, those two statements, as presented above, are facts. I'll stand by that. Ridiculous or not.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)

First, Wow! I've been missing some good stuff while I've been ignoring this thread.

Second, I disagree with the author. My Priest is exactly the opposite. His name is Kennedy. When my first daughter (Reagan) was being baptized, along with 5 other kids, as he said her name he added, "Who's name is a little too Republican for me." Mind you, he said this to the entire congregation. He also offered up an alternative Presidential name: Kennedy.

Edited by mreye

QUOTE(mreye @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
My Priest is exactly the opposite. His name is Kennedy. When my first daughter (Reagan) was being baptized, along with 5 other kids, as he said her name he added, "Who's name is a little too Republican for me." Mind you, he said this to the entire congregation. He also offered up an alternative Presidential name: Kennedy.

As a priest, I can tell you that priests politically break down pretty much as society does, republican and democrat, liberal and conservative. Which I consider a shame. From the gospel and our respective traditions, we should have the privilege of critiquing the entire political spectrum, engage in value-oriented debates. Many, though, are in the hip pocket of one party or another. :headshake

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
What a s***bag thread this turned into.  Thanks, Tex, for putting it out there for some people to verbally beat the s*** out of each other. 

Man, get sick for two days and miss a lot.  :lol:

What was God punishing you for? :bang

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
1.  Liberals philosophically support abortion.

2.  Regardless of the laws of this land, in God's eyes, I believe it's murder.

That's not saying liberals murder babies.  However, those two statements, as presented above, are facts.  I'll stand by that.  Ridiculous or not.

How can a fact include "I believe"? Isn't that an opinion?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 06:27 PM)
What was God punishing you for? :bang

I don't know, but damn it was horrible. I hadn't been that sick since probably college. Back to work today - and I'm reaaaaaly wanting to go to sleep. It's draining catching up on soxtalk. :lol: