Does your Church make you feel like this?

Texsox

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:43 AM)
Anthrax, I'm not running from anything.  We cannot debate this issue and there is a very simple reason for it.  You cannot comprehend my point of view.  My point of view is based on something you do not understand, and will refuse to acknowledge.  I'm talking about faith.  That is entire basis for belief, even to extent of choosing faith over logic.  Logic, such as 'There is no God because there is no scientific proof that exists'.  If you do not have faith, you cannot understand or comprehend faith or the strength of that faith.  I'll tell you something.  I know God exists.  I know it for a fact.  Yet, I'm not going to even begin to try and explain to how I know, as you'll dismiss it outright.  A debate on this subject, between us, is not worth my time or effort. 

Now then, to the two of you I told to "go to  hell", I apologize to each of you for my outburst.  However, it couldn't have been too insulting to you since in your opinions, hell does not exist ... unless you are talking about a small town in Michigan.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:notworthy :notworthy

Now my friend, have faith that liberals can be religious. When we hear Jesus say, If you love me, feed my sheep. We believe that is for longer than 52 weeks and can be done through the government, as long as the people are fed. When we hear, thou shall not kill, we take that as absolute and not to include punishment. We see God in everyone and refuse to turn our backs and believe collectively we can do more. We see Jesus feeding the masses even though the masses didn't plan ahead of time and bring their own loaf and fish, and think we can feed the masses. We point to passages that prove God's love for us. Peace.

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 11, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
Don't you all love how religion breeds love and not hatred?

Why do you insist on needling and being such an ass?

I used to have respect for you, now all you do is taunt. It's getting old.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 06:23 AM)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:notworthy  :notworthy

Now my friend, have faith that liberals can be religious. When we hear Jesus say, If you love me, feed my sheep. We believe that is for longer than 52 weeks and can be done through the government, as long as the people are fed. When we hear, thou shall not kill, we take that as absolute and not to include punishment. We see God in everyone and refuse to turn our backs and believe collectively we can do more. We see Jesus feeding the masses even though the masses didn't plan ahead of time and bring their own loaf and fish, and think we can feed the masses. We point to passages that prove God's love for us. Peace.

I'm not going to search through this entire thread, but I don't believe I said liberals can't be religious. The liberal platform, as a whole, has a couple of planks that I feel are very ... well, let me just use the word "wrong". I know there are many good, God respecting people that happen to agree with many aspects of the liberal agenda. I don't believe said anything along the lines of a person who is a liberal is therefore Godless. If I did, feel free to point it out to me and we'll discuss it. I might even recant.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:14 AM)
I'm not going to search through this entire thread, but I don't believe I said liberals can't be religious.  The liberal platform, as a whole, has a couple of planks that I feel are very ... well, let me just use the word "wrong".  I know there are many good, God respecting people that happen to agree with many aspects of the liberal agenda.  I don't believe said anything along the lines of a person who is a liberal is therefore Godless.  If I did, feel free to point it out to me and we'll discuss it.  I might even recant.

I agree there are planks in the Democratic platform that I do not support, and there are planks in the conservative platform I do support. I'm surprised that anyone could take either party's platform and accept every bit, but I guess there are a few out there.

It isn't worth travelling back through the thread. I believe you explained it very well in this post.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 02:43 AM)
Now then, to the two of you I told to "go to  hell", I apologize to each of you for my outburst. 

No problem. I know things were getting heated and we probably pushed the right buttons for you to say that.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
Take a look in the mirror.

And I don't resort to name calling as you do.

You proceeded to make, I don't know, about 10 posts about what is "fact"... you know damn well what he meant, and you kept twisting it. Enough, already. Although I see you made your peace... so whatever, carry on.

Edit - yea, I call everyone names... :rolly it's my new mantra...

Edited by kapkomet

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Please don't speak for me because I did not know exactly what he meant.  It was ambigous the way I read it.

And he clarified it, I don't know, about 5 times... :bang

I think one likes to push buttons.

And before you try to fling the dookie ball back, yea, I do, because it's a message board. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
I think one likes to push buttons.

There was a heated discussion yesterday between a handful of people. You were not involved. One day later you call me an ass and proceed to tell me that I like to push buttons. Interesting.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 09:49 AM)
I am always excited when I start a thread that has everyone talking to each other, exchanging tips and ideas, opening up, expanding one's mind. I think we're making great progress here  :D

It's like the Alito hearings!

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
There was a heated discussion yesterday between a handful of people.  You were not involved.  One day later you call me an ass and proceed to tell me that I like to push buttons.  Interesting.

Yea, because I didn't read it until this morning. I posted what I read. That's a fact. ;) I'm done now. Thanks for playing.

I have been involved in several of these debates before.  The problem ends up being that each person comes in with their own set of assumptions at where "truth" begins.  What do you base knowledge and truth on? There has to be something that each person can measure truth up to.  This is one of the basic questions that everyone needs to answer, but the answer ends up being a belief.  When you call something a FACT, what are you measuring that up to?  No one is going to prove the other one incorrect.

History and Science two things the Chruch/Religion hate because over the years it proves them wrong..

Examples: The Chruch told the world that the Sun revolved aorund the earth because god made it so.. Along comes Galileo with and that there Science and proves the chruch wrong. They were nice to him they only bannned him from the chruch.. Through out history if you were to prove the chruch wrong they would kill you.. Nice Huh!

The Truth is not in Black and White as the church/bible thinks it is, they have stolen others ideas and claimed them as their own to make-up their cults. The bible are full of them, one of the most misleading stories in the bible that the Church uses is that of Jesus.. They tell you their version of the story.. Which is only about 25% truth, the rest is made up to further "trick" one into thinking their way.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:37 AM)
History and Science two things the Chruch/Religion hate because over the years it proves them wrong..

Examples: The Chruch told the world that the Sun revolved aorund the earth because god made it so.. Along comes Galileo with and that there Science and proves the chruch wrong. They were nice to him they only bannned him from the chruch.. Through out history if you were to prove the chruch wrong they would kill you.. Nice Huh! 

The Truth is not in Black and White as the church/bible thinks it is, they have stolen others ideas and claimed them as their own to make-up their cults. The bible are full of them, one of the most misleading stories in the bible that the Church uses is that of Jesus.. They tell you their version of the story.. Which is only about 25% truth, the rest is made up to further "trick" one into thinking their way.

See, I agree with with most of what you're saying here, but it's the way that you phrase it that rubs people the wrong way. You can't take the actions of some people and say that it speaks for the belief system as a whole(although I'm on the same side as you on the issue), and then pose it as indisputable fact that the whole belief system is a crock. There will hopefully one day be found indisputable proof that the whole of the bible was simply made up, thus rendering most religions null and void, but until that day comes, you sound like an arrogant jerk.

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 04:47 PM)
See, I agree with with most of what you're saying here, but it's the way that you phrase it that rubs people the wrong way.  You can't take the actions of some people and say that it speaks for the belief system as a whole(although I'm on the same side as you on the issue), and then pose it as indisputable fact that the whole belief system is a crock.  There will hopefully one day be found indisputable proof that the whole of the bible was simply made up, thus rendering most religions null and void, but until that day comes, you sound like an arrogant jerk.

I'd like some insight as to why you think the Bible was entirely made up. Not trying to argue, just trying to understand your point of view.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)

Scientists of the day thought the same thing and shunned his theory. Shall we start to list all the wrong theories in science? Perhaps we should head to the barber shop and get bled to clear up that cough?

"Heaven and earth were created all together in the same instant, on October 23rd, 4004 BC at nine o'clock in the morning."

Professor John Lightfoot, Vice-chancellor of Cambridge University

"Rail travel at high speed is not possible, because passengers, unable to breathe, would die of asphyxia."

Dr Dionysus Lardner (1793-1859), professor of Natural Philosophy and Astronomy, University College London.

"Animals, which move, have limbs and muscles. The earth does not have limbs and muscles; therefore it does not move."

Scipio Chiaramonti, Professor of Philosophy and Mathematics at the University of Pisa (1633).

"[Television] won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get

tired of staring at a plywood box every night."

Darryl F. Zanuck, head of 20th Century-Fox in 1946.

"What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out of locomotives traveling twice as fast as stagecoaches?"

The Quarterly Review, England (March 1825)

And this is the alter at which you worship?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
Scientists of the day thought the same thing and shunned his theory. Shall we start to list all the wrong theories in science? Perhaps we should head to the barber shop and get bled to clear up that cough?

And this is the alter at which you worship?

Damn! :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:47 AM)
See, I agree with with most of what you're saying here, but it's the way that you phrase it that rubs people the wrong way.  You can't take the actions of some people and say that it speaks for the belief system as a whole(although I'm on the same side as you on the issue), and then pose it as indisputable fact that the whole belief system is a crock.  There will hopefully one day be found indisputable proof that the whole of the bible was simply made up, thus rendering most religions null and void, but until that day comes, you sound like an arrogant jerk.

Even if the Bible is nothing more than mythology, that would NOT make most religions null and void. Religion is belief, not necessarily in some fact, but in a code of conduct (among other things). There is all sorts of great mythology and philosophy out there with no grounding in history which can teach some pretty great lessons on the human condition.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

Anthrax, I'm not running from anything.  We cannot debate this issue and there is a very simple reason for it.  You cannot comprehend my point of view.  My point of view is based on something you do not understand, and will refuse to acknowledge.  I'm talking about faith.  That is entire basis for belief, even to extent of choosing faith over logic.  Logic, such as 'There is no God because there is no scientific proof that exists'.  If you do not have faith, you cannot understand or comprehend faith or the strength of that faith.  I'll tell you something.  I know God exists.  I know it for a fact.  Yet, I'm not going to even begin to try and explain to how I know, as you'll dismiss it outright.  A debate on this subject, between us, is not worth my time or effort. 

Now then, to the two of you I told to "go to  hell", I apologize to each of you for my outburst.  However, it couldn't have been too insulting to you since in your opinions, hell does not exist ... unless you are talking about a small town in Michigan.

The difference is you will not listen to reason, you have been taught that your way is the only way.. and the right way. I know I was there, my sister and mother are still there now. Their mind games they play have worked on you.. as it does most others.

From reading your mini bio, I understand a little more why you think this way.. being you are almost 50 and live in partial south, they live and breath Religion. I have experience this also for I lived in AL for a couple of years.

You think their is a god because you have been told by them that this is true, no other reason can you give.. You can say Faith.. if you have faith prove it.. Send me a check for $1000, and have faith that I will pay you back one day.. Like all that I have put this challenge to, you have more faith in nothing than your fellow man. With that being said.. How does God help us again?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
The difference is you will not listen to reason, you have been taught that your way is the only way.. and the right way. I know I was there, my sister and mother are still there now.  Their mind games they play have worked on you.. as it does most others.

From reading your mini bio, I understand a little more why you think this way.. being you are almost 50 and live in partial south, they live and breath Religion. I have experience this also for I lived in AL for a couple of years.

You think their is a god because you have been told by them that this is true, no other reason can you give.. You can say Faith.. if you have faith prove it.. Send me a check for $1000, and have faith that I will pay you back one day.. Like all that I have put this challenge to, you have more faith in nothing than your fellow man.  With that being said.. How does God help us again?

Why do you insist on being such a dick?