Sox Hire Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer

thedoctor

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox and WSCR-AM 670 have announced that former White Sox outfielder Chris Singleton has been hired as color commentator for the Sox's radio broadcasts.

Singleton will join veteran radio broadcaster Ed Farmer, who signed a five-year extension in September. Farmer will assume the play-by-play duties.

Singleton and Farmer will make their debut on March 1 when WSCR airs the first of 15 Cactus League spring training games from Tucson.

"We are excited to welcome Chris back to the White Sox organization," said White Sox vice president of marketing and broadcasting Brooks Boyer in a statement. "Like most of our coaching staff, Chris has a history with the club and understands what the organization means to its fans. Teaming Chris with Ed Farmer will give our listeners great insight to the pitcher-hitter battle, in depth understanding of game strategy and planning, and will bring every White Sox game to life for our listeners. Anyone who knows Chris will welcome him back with open arms."

Singleton, 33, played six seasons in the major leagues with the White Sox (1999-2001), Baltimore (2002), Oakland (2003) and Tampa Bay (2005).

"I'm thrilled to have this opportunity, because my wife and I always felt that Chicago was our second home," said Singleton in a statement. "I remember as a rookie, when I first began to do interviews, people always said I should pursue a career in broadcasting when my playing days were over. I guess that planted the seed, and to have the opportunity come with the White Sox is really gratifying. I have many great memories here and I am pleased to return to the White Sox family."

WSCR and the White Sox announced a five-year agreement in June 2005, making WSCR the team's exclusive flagship radio station beginning in 2006. Under the agreement, WSCR will broadcast 15 spring training and 162 regular-season White Sox games during each of the next five seasons.

Chris Singleton is one of the top-rated radio broadcast prospects in the system. He's a four-tool broadcaster. He has above average range, a pleasant voice, he's excellent defensively, and can talk for some power. He was a second-round draft selection and a lot is expected of him. He also shows nice speed out there on the :30 readers.

I think the organization showed their confidence in Singleton when they traded both Rowand and Young. I'm pretty confident he'll be able to step in and contribute.

I am worried about his bat-speed though.

Well, don't forget he was hired to do color, not play by play...so it shouldn't be much of a problem for him.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Not a really exciting choice, but why not?  Always seemed like a good guy, and if I remember correctly, was pretty personable with the media.  How that translates to game-calling, I'm not sure.  We'll see, I guess.

Either way, good to have ya back Chris!  :cheers

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Chris Singleton is one of the top-rated radio broadcast prospects in the system.  He's a four-tool broadcaster.  He has above average range, a pleasant voice, he's excellent defensively, and can talk for some power.  He was a second-round draft selection and a lot is expected of him.  He also shows nice speed out there on the :30 readers.

I think the organization showed their confidence in Singleton when they traded both Rowand and Young.  I'm pretty confident he'll be able to step in and contribute.

Nice scouting work!

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Chris Singleton is one of the top-rated radio broadcast prospects in the system.  He's a four-tool broadcaster.  He has above average range, a pleasant voice, he's excellent defensively, and can talk for some power.  He was a second-round draft selection and a lot is expected of him.  He also shows nice speed out there on the :30 readers.

I think the organization showed their confidence in Singleton when they traded both Rowand and Young.  I'm pretty confident he'll be able to step in and contribute.

yeah but i heard a projection that said he'll have a strong rookie season, finishing runner up for rookie of the year flashing .300 average with 20 HR 20 SB potential , and then fall off the face of the planet

i guess when we shipped chris off we got willie, now we ship willie off and chris is back

seriously though...i have no idea what chris will be like i suppose its nice having an ex ballplayer and a former sox do it....god anythings gotta be better than mike north

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Interesting.  i dont' know much about Chris as an announcer, but he was a really nice guy as a player to the fans, and he was not ashamed at all of his faith.

Not sure about his broadcasting skills, but one of the traits that always made me fond of him is his being a man of faith.

Wow, the SCORE shows again that if you work cheap enough, talent is not an issue (Murphy). Advertising money is all they care about. They can not go more then 10 minutes without a break. I am anxious to see how many "adds" are thrown out there during an inning.

This Little Guys, Bueno Beef, Celozzi Ettleson pitch is brought to you by STATS Inc and Berland's House of Tools. Here is the 0-1 pitch brought to you by Brown's Chicken and Wings. and the 1-1 pitch for tickets call 864-1000. here is the 1-2 and he strikes him out courtesy of Terminx. With one out in the first inning which is being brought ot you by Miller Brewing here is the number two man in the lineup sponsored by....

Wow Kittle, Cangelosi and what not must ahve wanted to actually be paid.

This is a disgrace and now the Sox will be really tough on the ears. As good of a guy that he is, he has no experience whatsoever.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)

Another opportunity for me to include a few digs. :headbang

Baseball Prospectus recently printed an excerpt dismissing Singleton's OAP (On-Air Percentange) as heavily anecdotal based. Apparently, his patience is lacking. VORA (Value Over Replacement Announcer) is roughly 89. Well below league average. White Sox nemesis and 40 year old virgin John Sheehan projects him as yet another subpar announcer from our weakened system. Billy Beane chimed in and gave a thumbs down--so you KNOW he's due for short career.

Edited by Flash Tizzle