Sox Hire Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer

thedoctor

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if it would be possible for SoxTalk to contact Singleton and get him to do a Q & A or chat session here. We could ask him questions like how he got interested in doing radio, how horrible Jerry Manuel was as a manager, how he felt to get traded for Willie Harris.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:36 PM)
I guess Tommy John wanted real money as payment as opposed to used batting practice baseballs like Singleton likes.

As opposed to the millions he was making broadcasting the Charlotte Knights? C'mon, the reason its Singleton not John is not about money. They have these guys do simulated games and Singleton was probably just better. I have heard Tommy John, and he's not exactly broadcasting hall of fame material.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:27 PM)
Why not hire Stone?  He is still under contract with the Score i believe and he did play with the Sox?

He already does TV for ESPN, and did TV for the Cubs. Why would he take a lower paying job, or at least a less recognizable job, on the radio?

I'm sure they asked, and I'm sure he turned it down.

BTW, Singleton actually has a pretty good voice IMO. I don't know if he can say anything important but we'll see. I watch most games on TV anyway.

There's not exactly boatloads of big-name broadcasting talent out there anyways...at least none that would play second fiddle in a radio gig. When Rooney left, I was pretty sure whoever we replaced him with would be a downgrade.

From what I've heard, the list of candidates (at least the ones that were talked about) were far from inspiring. I think Steve Lyons was the guy with the most broadcasting experience, and he's a dope. And if Lyons, Kittle, Cangelosi, Tommy John, etc. were the best they could find, then I don't blame the Score for going the cheapest route.

Really, I'm just glad they didn't go with North or Kittle. Just my opinion, but I think they're both pompous asses. I obviously have no idea how good Singleton is, but at least I won't hate him. At the very least, he'll be like DJ, and I'll learn to just deal with him.

Ha, some people really need to settle down. If someone were to read this thread without looking at the title, they would think the Sox just signed a crappy player when there were 40 big-name players on the market. Take it easy. It's just the radio.

It's like people are just looking for a reason to be pissed off this offseason.

The one thing I will say about Chris; he doesn't lack the intelligence or knowledge to do this job. He's a very smart and well spoken guy, and if he can articulate that in the booth, he will be a great hire. My only beef is he's very young and has no experience. I won't compare him to DJ though, IMO he's better spoken and will be much more exciteable.

I like to listen to games on the radio. I am not a real big fan of DJ. I look at how bad the cubs radio braodcast is. It borders, no it is laughable.

The SCORE is taking a risk by bringing in someone that is unproven. This should not happen in a major market like Chicago, especially with the medium (XM Radio) bringing in more potential listeners and fans. You can attract fans this way and I feel the SCORE is looking to get someone as cheap as they could.

With Lyons and John you knew what you were getting. With Singleton you are completely blind and Farmer is not that strong to begin with. Farmer needs a good partner, Harrelson does not.

This has nothing to do with how good of a person or player Singleton was. This has to do with the fact that games could be real hard to listen to because of this selection and that ticks me off.

I really think this is not a point to just brush aside. This is the SCORE going on the cheap, as cheap as they could which is their history.

Yeah, we'd know what were getting with Lyons.....a clueless retard who tries too hard to be funny. I probably would have prefered Tommy John, but you know the unknown with Chris is interesting, maybe he'll turn out to be really good, as opposed to TJ, who we knew would be decent, but nothing spectacular.

This is very similar to when Darrin Jackson (a year removed from playing goes right into the booth) replaces Tom Paciorek. Now, after so many years DJ has his critics.

Now, Chris Singleton (right from playing) goes into the booth and replaces the beloved John Rooney. I'll give him a chance.

I won't be listening to the radio as much, but I'll definitely cut him some slack his first few months.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Ha, some people really need to settle down.  If someone were to read this thread without looking at the title, they would think the Sox just signed a crappy player when there were 40 big-name players on the market.  Take it easy.  It's just the radio.

It's like people are just looking for a reason to be pissed off this offseason.

Since the second that the Rooney news broke, it's simply amazed me how angry people got upset about the whole radio announcing team. In today's age of the satellite dish, I could care less about who's doing the announcing. Chris Singleton is a good guy, and the Sox organization LOVES him. Many people within the organization regret letting him go a few years ago, as it had a negative effect on the clubhouse for a few years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
Since the second that the Rooney news broke, it's simply amazed me how angry people got upset about the whole radio announcing team.  In today's age of the satellite dish, I could care less about who's doing the announcing.  Chris Singleton is a good guy, and the Sox organization LOVES him.  Many people within the organization regret letting him go a few years ago, as it had a negative effect on the clubhouse for a few years.

At first, I was a bit annoyed at the Score being cheap, but that was just knee jerk. Chris is smart and knows the game, and is young enough to bring a new perspective to the booth that even DJ couldn't bring his first year in the booth since Singleton is only in his 20's even now. As long as he learns on the job well and adjust, I think he will be fine. My biggest concern is that Chris has some excitement and energy, we need it to conteract Farmer, who is simply boring to listen to outside of September and October.

QUOTE(HighHeat45 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:32 PM)
How can you say that when Singleton hasnt uttered a word on the air yet?

It's almost a given. The fact that CS never played in Japan is already an advantage.

Edited by SoxFan1