Sox Hire Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer

thedoctor

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I dislike about this hiring is Singleton may eventually become an outstanding announcer, but we shouldn't have to develop new talent on the heals of a championship. The position should have been a key destination for any experienced radio announcer.

Honestly, Chris seems too soft spoken. Almost a Darren Jackson clone. Will he be willing to entertain Farmers odd rantings or yell out in excitement following a pivotal play? I just can't imagine Singleton doing this.

You can likely expect our USA Today title of Best AL radio duo to drop. Dramatically. I wish him luck, but I can't believe he was the best choice.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:36 AM)
Not sure about his broadcasting skills, but one of the traits that always made me fond of him is his being a man of faith.

What? Man of faith? What does that have to do with calling baseball games? People without faith shouldn't be hired? Dumb comment, IMO.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
:headshake  :headshake

He isnt trying to shut the door in the 8th inning or something. He is the color man on the radio. Lighten up Francis.

:huh:

I wish I was as passionate about our radio announcers as you seem to indicate.

I simply recall Singleton's past interviews, and I believe he's a rather passive person.

I also would have believed the opening would have garnered the attention of seasoned radio analysts. That's not difficult to understand, I assume?

Edited by Flash Tizzle

the Score sucks.

Not that any of us heard Singleton do color, but I'm sure he's not making much more than a happy meal. If they were gonna go the former player route, they obviously didnt really care wheter or not the player was a fan favorite or even a noteable. Sure, many Sox fans know of Singleton's time here, the trade to the O's, but color guy for a world championship team?? :headshake

Thanks Score :stick at least it wasnt North. :finger

Screw ESPN too for having Moronotti on too long and losing the contract.

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:00 PM)
the Score sucks.

Not that any of us heard Singleton do color, but I'm sure he's not making much more than a happy meal.  If they were gonna go the former player route, they obviously didnt really care wheter or not the player was a fan favorite or even a noteable.  Sure, many Sox fans know of Singleton's time here, the trade to the O's, but color guy for a world championship team??  :headshake 

Thanks Score  :stick at least it wasnt North.  :finger

Screw ESPN too for having Moronotti on too long and losing the contract.

FYI for all those who get up in the morning simply to rip on the Score, Chris Singleton will not work for the Score. The Sox hired him. He is a White Sox employee. The team has the final say on all on-air candidates.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
What?  Man of faith?  What does that have to do with calling baseball games?  People without faith shouldn't be hired?  Dumb comment, IMO.

I like people of character. Not that I would have minded if they hired a pagan. I would rather have a character guy walking the locker room than somebody only serving their ego (Mike North). Being known as a good Christian man in the Sox locker room during his time deomstrates to me that he is a man of character.

Shakespeare wrote, "Swine are known by the company they keep." Know anything about that?

As far as my thought being "dumb", ... "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." --Euripides

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
FYI for all those who get up in the morning simply to rip on the Score, Chris Singleton will not work for the Score. The Sox hired him. He is a White Sox employee. The team has the final say on all on-air candidates.

He is a SCORE employee not a Sox employee. The Sox have a say in matter but not much. The SCORE pays the bills the Sox get the money.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I've never heard him do color for a game, and he might be pretty good. He apparently is better than Tommy John. One interesting note would be that Singelton is or at least was very close with DJ. A lot of White Sox people thought Singleton's slippage as a player from 1999 to 2000 was the fact DJ was no longer in the clubhouse.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
I like people of character.  Not that I would have minded if they hired a pagan.  I would rather have a character guy walking the locker room than somebody only serving their ego (Mike North).  Being known as a good Christian man in the Sox locker room during his time deomstrates to me that he is a man of character.

Shakespeare wrote, "Swine are known by the company they keep."  Know anything about that? 

As far as my thought being "dumb", ... "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." --Euripides

So...man of faith=character....how about Jimmy Baker...he was a man of faith...and quite the character...Jessica Hahn knows something about that.

And it was a dumb comment, Pastor.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
So...man of faith=character....how about Jimmy Baker...he was a man of faith...and quite the character...Jessica Hahn knows something about that.

Don't forget Pat Robertson.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)

Read back I never said faith = character. I was careful not to say that. Chris Singleton's faith is emblematic of his character. I don't have time to explain to you that every "Christian" is not a good man. I was one of the first to derail Pat Robertson in a post last week.

I maintain my stance, "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." --Euripides

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Read back I never said faith = character.  I was careful not to say that.  Chris Singleton's faith is emblematic of his character.  I don't have time to explain to you that every "Christian" is not a good man. I was one of the first to derail Pat Robertson in a post last week.

I maintain my stance,  "Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish." --Euripides

Well, I'm glad you've taken your time today to sink to my level. You are quite the humanitarian.

And here is a personal favorite quote of mine....

'Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!' - Dean Wurmer, Animal House....maybe I should have taken his advice.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Well, I'm glad you've taken your time today to sink to my level.  You are quite the humanitarian.

And here is a personal favorite quote of mine....

'Fat Drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son!' - Dean Wurmer, Animal House....maybe I should have taken his advice.

Or perhaps we should both say to hell with it all and have another beer. It's 5 o'clock somewhere :cheers