Sox Hire Chris Singleton to Join Ed Farmer

thedoctor

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
The list could go on forever.  I think those guys who flew the plane into the TWin Towers, were men of faith.  Maybe they could have called a good Sox game?

I don't get the venom toward his statement. His original statement never said ANYTHING about him being a man of faith being tied to his abilities as a radio guy.

He simply said "but one of the traits that always made me fond of him is his being a man of faith.". He made a simple comment about something he liked in Chris Singleton. Why jump on that??

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
At first, I was a bit annoyed at the Score being cheap, but that was just knee jerk.  Chris is smart and knows the game, and is young enough to bring a new perspective to the booth that even DJ couldn't bring his first year in the booth since Singleton is only in his 20's even now.  As long as he learns on the job well and adjust, I think he will be fine.  My biggest concern is that Chris has some excitement and energy, we need it to conteract Farmer, who is simply boring to listen to outside of September and October.

I think you pretty much hit it on the head. Doing color, his "broadcasting skills" will be much less important than his ability to provide insight. Bringing in a young guy who is well spoken (assumed) may just bring a different element to a broadcast. He will have direct knowledge of what the players are going through today and how the game has changed.

Not having heard him in the booth, it's hard for me to criticize the decision. I think the bigger change this year will be having Farmer move from color to play-by-play. Good or bad, that will have a more pronounced affect on the sound of this year's broadcast.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 07:37 PM)
First impression.....not good.

I heard a small clip of Singleton speaking on the Score, and he has a weird voice.

Kind of high and squeaky for a radio voice in my opinion.

Combine that with the lazy tones of Sleepy Ed and I don't think I'll listen to many games on the radio.

Sleepy Ed :lol: You hit the nail on the head. He was great during the playoffs but the games were so good Steven Wright could have done them. In a regular season grind it out type of game, Farmer's voice can make paint dry. I was kind of hoping they would bring in someone with a classic PbP style, a Wayne Hagen or Dave Wills type to inject some life into the broadcasts.

I'll give Singleton a chance before making a judgement, it's going to take until about the 4th a July for him to acclimate and then we'll see what we have.

I'll give Singleton a chance before making a judgement, it's going to take until about the 4th a July for him to acclimate and then we'll see what we have.

Yes, agreed, give him some time.

He sounds like a bright guy and I'm sure he understands the game. One thing I noticed on the conference call ... the inordinate number of times Singleton said "y'know".

"Well, y'know, because I just finished playing, y'know, I'm pretty sure I, y'know, can relate to the players but by the same, y'know, token I can point out the y'know, positives and be objective."

Sometimes I wonder if these athletes listen to themselves and realize how many times they drop in "y'know".

Anyway, I hope that's the first thing they work on improving, y'know.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Yes, agreed, give him some time.

He sounds like a bright guy and I'm sure he understands the game.  One thing I noticed on the conference call ... the inordinate number of times Singleton said "y'know".

"Well, y'know, because I just finished playing, y'know, I'm pretty sure I, y'know, can relate to the players but by the same, y'know, token I can point out the y'know, positives and be objective."

Sometimes I wonder if these athletes listen to themselves and realize how many times they drop in "y'know".

Anyway, I hope that's the first thing they work on improving, y'know.

No one does it more than Freddy Garcia.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 10:32 PM)
I don't get the venom toward his statement.  His original statement never said ANYTHING about him being a man of faith being tied to his abilities as a radio guy. 

He simply said "but one of the traits that always made me fond of him is his being a man of faith.".  He made a simple comment about something he liked in Chris Singleton.  Why jump on that??

We moved on...don't care anymore.

I think I'm at a point where if the Sox management wants to do someting - you know what - I'm really not in any position to criticize whatever the hell they do and I'll trust whatever they choose to do. Especially for something like radio guy. Although I really do hope they chose a good one.

We're the 2005 World Champions!!!!!

No one does it more than Freddy Garcia.

Haha, you are so right. Check out his news conference before he pitched against the Red Sox in the ALDS...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...layer_id=150119

Click on "10.06.2005 | Garcia's news conference: 350K"

Freddy is still the "y'know" champ. :lolhitting

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
One thing I noticed on the conference call ... the inordinate number of times Singleton said "y'know".

Yep, that's how most potheads communicate. He can't really explain himself properly.

I'm a major score head, and I must say that I am beyond disappointed that they hired Singleton. I've heard plenty of interviews, and pretty much all of them have just bored me to death. Listening to games on the radio is gonna be brutal.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 11:19 AM)
Rongy is interviewing Singleton right now, and if he says "you know" one more f***ing time, my head is going to explode.  Good God.

Lighten up Frances, he's not pitching the 8th inning or anything.

GIVE HIM A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!11

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
I love how we can draw these conclusions without any of you having listened to him calling a game.

I haven't eaten s*** either--but I guarantee it doesn't taste good.

I can't believe Singleton's demeanor, which has continually been regarded as quiet and reserved, will suddenly transform once he enters the booth. His "you knows" sure sounds like someone who's quite nervous. How can I be expected to be optimistic?

Since I don't listen to games on the radio often it doesn't bother me. But as I've said before, I honestly can't believe there were NO better alternatives. Just as our minor league prospects are busts (in my mind) until proven otherwise, I'll assume little of Singleton until he proves himself.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
I haven't eaten s*** either--but I guarantee it doesn't taste good.

I can't believe Singleton's demeanor, which has continually been regarded as quiet and reserved, will suddenly transform once he enters the booth. His "you knows" sure sounds like someone who's quite nervous. How can I be expected to be optimistic?

Since I don't listen to games on the radio often it doesn't bother me. But as I've said before, I honestly can't believe there were NO better alternatives. Just as our minor league prospects are busts (in my mind) until proven otherwise, I'll assume little of Singleton until he proves himself.

KW proved you wrong. Doubt all you want though.