Indie Thoughts

Texsox

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
Hey Tex-

Any chance we can get an Independents Only thread started and pinned, to go with these Dem/GOP threads?

The antics of certain wingers are growing tiresome.

Thanks.

Done.

Here is at least one race where Independents will have a big say. The Texas Governor race will see Gov. Perry ® (Tex likes: Kap doesn't) a yet to be determined DEM, Strayhorn (a Rep turned Indy), and Kinky Friedman another Independant.

Strayhorn, has won statewide office and is clearly a threat. She has some great fundraising skills, and Texas doesn't seem to have a problem electing ladies to statewide offices.

The biggest issue facing the Indie candidates is getting on the ballot. If a voter signs either petition they are not allowed to vote in the primary for either party. If they do vote, it would void their petition.

So, as always, getting on the ballot is the first and biggest hurdle facing Independent candidates. To win that hurdle, comes the second biggest hurdle, raising enough money to mount a succesful campaign.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
If a voter signs either petition they are not allowed to vote in the primary for either party. If they do vote, it would void their petition.

Huh. I didn't know that. Is that law specific to Texas? I could see how that would hinder things, but I also bet many people don't know that's the case.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
Huh.  I didn't know that.  Is that law specific to Texas?  I could see how that would hinder things, but I also bet many people don't know that's the case.

Each state has their own laws. Some are easier than others. In a sense, Kinky and Strayhorn have to win their "primary" by convincing 40,000 voters to vote for them instead of the Dem or Gop candidate. In those terms it makes some sense. I'm wondering what Kap thinks of Strayhorn.

What Strayhorn did was avoid a primary battle with the encumbant Governor. Some party faithful are very upset with the lady. We'll see if it was a good political move shunning the traditional support the GOP primary winner would have received.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
Here is at least one race where Independents will have a big say. The Texas Governor race will see Gov. Perry ® (Tex likes: Kap doesn't) a yet to be determined DEM, Strayhorn (a Rep turned Indy), and Kinky Friedman another Independant.

Strayhorn, has won statewide office and is clearly a threat. She has some great fundraising skills, and Texas doesn't seem to have a problem electing ladies to statewide offices.

The biggest issue facing the Indie candidates is getting on the ballot. If a voter signs either petition they are not allowed to vote in the primary for either party. If they do vote, it would void their petition.

So, as always, getting on the ballot is the first and biggest hurdle facing Independent candidates. To win that hurdle, comes the second biggest hurdle, raising enough money to mount a succesful campaign.

You know, really, the governor of Texas holds little power compared to some states.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)

time out, this person's name is Kinky Friedman? Kinky? thats hilarious. i'd vote for ... him or her or it or whatever

A little background on Kinky Friedman, courtesy of telemark.net, under the category "atheist music":

Here's a little info about Kinky Friedman (sp?). He's a Jew from Texas, which is in itself a little humorous. He is a "redneck" type with Stars of David on his leather jacket. They're a bizarre Texas lounge band whose biggest hit is "They Aint Makin' Jews Like Jesus Anymore" about a redneck who yells anti-semitic slurs at a Jew. The Jew, instead of "turning the other cheek", beats the holy crap out of the redneck. A good friend of mine has their greatest hits album "Old Testaments and New Revelations". Also on the album is a song called "L.A. Men's Room." About a guy who goes into a stall at a bus station in L.A. do #2. He sees, to his chagrin, that there's no paper, but he sees a tract/picture of Jesus on the ground. He prays to Jesus, "Should I Save My Soul or Save My Pants". It's hilarious. Friedman is now an accomplished mystery writer. I did happen to catch in on Willie Nelson's TNN show (quite ironic, as I despise country music :), where he and Willie performed Friedman's classic "feminist" anthem, "Get Your Biscuits in the Oven and Your Buns in the Bed".

QUOTE(sox4lifeinPA @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
indie rocks!

I like spoon and sufjan stevens...

CYHSY wasn't that bad of a record, it was just incredibly samey...

LIARS is the best thing in indie right now

Bayh urges Dems to use security issues against Republicans:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060202/pl_nm/bayh_dc

I put this in Indie because I think Bayh is one of a few viable centrist candidates on either slate as a 2008 Prez hopeful. I think he's got the right idea here for any candidate. Instead of allowing the GOP to rule the security issue by way of fear, challenge them on it! And further, suggest some better strategies.

• 2 weeks later...

For you moderates and Indies...

Of the current plethora of potential 2008 Prez candidates, who do you like? Who do you think could win a nomination who isn't a wing nut, party favor or vote-the-card guy/gal? Who can bring some real change, and create positive compromise?

I'll start by throwing a few names out there, of potential candidates from both parties whom I think have some potential...

Evan Bayh (D)

Bill Richardson (D)

John McCain ®

Mitt Romney ®

I'm a little concenred with Richardson's environmental policy, but otherwise I think he's my favorite of that bunch (though he is an outside shot). Bayh is also good. McCain sometimes goes a little off the map, but I think he has the best leadership skills of all four. Romney I am not so sure on regarding some social issues.

So let's kick it off. Thoughts?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 08:52 PM)
For you moderates and Indies...

Of the current plethora of potential 2008 Prez candidates, who do you like?  Who do you think could win a nomination who isn't a wing nut, party favor or vote-the-card guy/gal?  Who can bring some real change, and create positive compromise?

I'll start by throwing a few names out there, of potential candidates from both parties whom I think have some potential...

Evan Bayh (D)

Bill Richardson (D)

John McCain ®

Mitt Romney ®

I'm a little concenred with Richardson's environmental policy, but otherwise I think he's my favorite of that bunch (though he is an outside shot).  Bayh is also good.  McCain sometimes goes a little off the map, but I think he has the best leadership skills of all four.  Romney I am not so sure on regarding some social issues.

So let's kick it off.  Thoughts?

Bayh's got the charisma and tough talk regarding security backing him. The only thing is he pandered to his party for the SCOTUS nominations, but that won't hurt him.

Richardson's kind of an enigma - my wife's grandparents are in New Mexico - they're not thrilled with him.

McCain is nothing but a camera whore, IMO, but then again, at least he's not afraid to speak his mind.

I am not very keen on Romney because he seems like he's a little too far right IMO.

Mitt Romney and centrist don't deserve to be in the same sentence.

And I think you're the first person I've ever seen that says Evan Bayh's got charisma. Did he buy some from Al Gore?

Mark Warner in Virginia is a centrist. So is Tim Kaine, the current Gov and Warner's heir to the seat.

Having dealt with Evan Bayh for waaaaaaaaay too many years, I think he is someone who could emerge for the Dems, but I don't think that they will have someone from Indiana at the top of their ticket. Bayh could be an interesting pick for Veep, and has the potential to swing a very Repub state to the Dems.

Calling All Signature Collectors and Notaries!

We've had an absolutely terrific response thus far to our request for volunteers to contribute at least one weekend day to help get Kinky on the ballot. Notaries have been volunteering their services in large numbers as well. But we still have room for more of both. Won't you join your fellow Kinky supporters in this historic effort?

The race is now on to see which city will be the first to fill their minimum quota of petitioners for these six one-day, all-day signature collection events during the first three weekends of the petition drive, March 11, 12, 18, 19, 25 and 26. The current standings are: 1. San Antonio 2. Dallas 3. Austin 4. Houston (3/18) 5.Houston (3/19) and 6. Ft. Worth.

We're ending each weekend with a party with Kinky to which every participant will be invited. You'll be able to have fun and help make history at the same time. So show a little city pride and if you have not already done so, please SIGN UP NOW! It's just one day (or more if your willing).

Are you a notary public who is willing to offer your services at these events or throughout the course of the petition drive? We can use your help too! PLEASE SIGN UP HERE.

Can't make one of the Big Road Show events but still want to help collect signatures in your county? If you have not already volunteered to collect signatures, please fill out our general volunteer form and get involved.

Declare your independence now!

Save yourself for Kinky by not voting in the primaries.

Kinky Field Team

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Kinky Field team... I wonder what they're doing?  :lol:

Did you know once you vote in either primary you will not be eligible to sign Strayhorn or Kinky's ballot petition? Two me it seems like two seperate issues.

One: Who I think is the best candidate to be Governor

Two: Should Carol or Kinky be on the ballot

BTW

Perry, but you know what a GOP whore I am.

Yes