Throwing out a Suggestion

Chisoxfn

As I think everyone knows, we've had some issues in terms with the server/database when it comes to people wanting to search and all that sort of stuff.

Unfortunately it appears as if the problems stem from prior upgrades and software changes and most of these bugs are a result of what is a bad database (in terms of creating errors and causing mysql to hang).

The server we are on is huge and can handle pretty much anything. The problem is we aren't using an optimal database and from what I understand it would be damn near impossible to rebuild the current database we have properly (so we can streamline it).

Essentially, we have two options and I want to ask the members what they prefer:

Option 1:

Option 1 is to keep the board as is. The problem is as we get larger we may continue to see things bog down a little more and who knows, maybe more features will start to stall (unlikely, but possible). This is an easy option because it would allow for all the posts to stay on the main forum

Option 2:

This option would in general be a pain for members (well at 1st). We would essentially create a brand new main Soxtalk board. All the forums would be the same, but people would need to re-register (we'll make sure people can get there old user names) and we'll update people's post totals (to ensure those are accurate).

The only difference is the board would be fresh and wouldn't have any of the old posts. The plan of option 2 would be to have a link on the top of the site (called archive) which would take you to the old forum that has all the posts (if people want to look back at stuff).

The benefits of this would be better in the long run as we would be ensuring that the database is optimized. It should allow for more users to be on at once and will once again allow posters to search and use all the other functions of the board.

I realize this would be a hassle (and what I would do is send an email out to all registered members telling them to check out the new page and re-register). However, personally speaking I think the after a few weeks the board would be back to running like new (with tons of posts) and best of all it will be optimized for the continued growth of the site.

Anyway, I don't want to make any changes without passing it onto the members, so please tell me what everyone would prefer. Obviously I like the idea of #2, because the board will work best and people will still be able to access all the posts to look back on things if they want to.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 12, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)
After losing the site repeatedly during the playoffs last year...if we can fix it, I'd be in favor of it.

Is there any way to move some of the long-running threads and keep them active?  Like the General thread's in AJ's bar?

The best thing I could do is copy the posts manually and paste them in somehow. There are ways to do it, but the problem is the databases are all out of whack due to an original format change when we switched from XMB board software to Invision way back when.

But I can defiantely come up with some sort of way to keep the long posts and just transfer over the text of them.

Smilies and all those things will work the same and my goal is for the new site to have a little more Sox colors and maybe make it baseball unique (in terms of having some custom graphics on the site).

I also agree with goin with option two. Soxtalk is going to keep on growing as the years go on (and as we become a dynasty). It is in the site's best interest to upgrade now and not sit around and deal with the problems as they arise. I think we all can deal with a little downtime if it means a better soxtalk for all...

I got to go with option 2. I don't think a new board would have any problem getting up and running since we have such a great core of members. The archive section also sounds like a great idea if option 2 is decided upon. But like kyyle23 said, this is your site and I'm up for whatever you choose.

Chisoxfn,

Option 2 seems like the best option.

To continue posts from the old forum, you could re-make threads in the new forum, then just have the first post link to the archived forums. So it would almost make those like separate pages to a long thread. If you want to see previous posts you go to page one, or in this case, click on the archive link.

Option 2 seems like it gives you more flexibility and will allow for the increase in users since Soxtalk.com comes up on top in most of the searches like "White Sox Message Board", etc.

Go with that, and if you need any help just let me know.