Throwing out a Suggestion

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Interesting thoughts from ya'll.  Keep them coming.

I also have some ideas that we would probably roll out if we choose option two.  But you'll just have to wait.  :P

As someone who is fairly new to the board it's a no-brainer! #2 !

:gosoxretro:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Feel sorry for me.  It's going to be a long, painful process.  :)

There is no solution to a broken SQL dB short of trying to append it to a new, correctly indexed dB, and seeing what falls out, an awful and painstaking process. On a free site like this, it's just not worth it. I think the plan of starting a new dB and archiving the corrupted tables makes perfect sense --its not like you guys have a room full of guys getting paid to do this.

Also, allow me to thank Jason, yourself and all involved from the bottom of my heart for the efforts rendered in making this site. It is a wonderful pastime for me and, at last count, 2,843 others.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 08:42 AM)
Feel sorry for me.  It's going to be a long, painful process.  :)

Actually Kap in the long run, Option 2 will save you time. Just imagine the time and effort trying to clean up that database. Plus you guys can set it up with all that you have learned in the last few years as far as feature sets and such.

s*** I wish we could do this with a bunch of systems at my work, but then again Soxtalkers are a bit more reasonable than my facist users.

So how long before SS2k5 goes over 30k in posts on the new board.

Edited by southsideirish71

I could be the b****, since I often time have time to burn, but if we did move, I could theoretically move over post count numbers if people care so much.

I want to start clean, but I've put some work into the current cow, and I don't know if I want her out to pasture just yet. :)

All I gotta say is we better not freakin lose any and I mean ANY of the good memories of being able to go back and read game filled with Bonnie Tyler, Thunderstruck and other nonsense. No website is worth losing that. Sorry. And I'm all about moving forward, but if you're going to blast away the old, can you at least give a long heads up so I'm able to copy many pages of old stuff to be able to check back on for my own sake. (the Rally Crede - the night the Rally Crede was born - basically every game thread from the last 15 games on, etc...)

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 12:13 AM)
Actually Kap in the long run, Option 2 will save you time.  Just imagine the time and effort trying to clean up that database.  Plus you guys can set it up with all that you have learned in the last few years as far as feature sets and such. 

s*** I wish we could do this with a bunch of systems at my work, but then again Soxtalkers are a bit more reasonable than my facist users.

So how long before SS2k5 goes over 30k in posts on the new board. 

Considering he'll be bumped back to zero, figure on ... oh ... 3 weeks.

QUOTE(MinnySoxFan @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
All I gotta say is we better not freakin lose any and I mean ANY of the good memories of being able to go back and read game filled with Bonnie Tyler, Thunderstruck and other nonsense.  No website is worth losing that.  Sorry. And I'm all about moving forward, but if you're going to blast away the old, can you at least give a long heads up so I'm able to copy many pages of old stuff to be able to check back on for my own sake.  (the Rally Crede - the night the Rally Crede was born - basically every game thread from the last 15 games on, etc...)

In the first post he said there will be a link to the old board though, so you might not be able to find stuff like that.

I think we're planning on option #2 - and a lot of that was based on this input - thanks to everyone for posting their two cents worth!! However, before we do that, we're going to go through a lot of other changes, and unveil them all at the same time. This new version soxtalk that's coming is going to totally kick ass. Stay tuned.