Crede signs 1-year deal!

SSH2005

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, this is good news. Not really unexpected. Boras was not going let Crede sign for anything beyond 2008 so Joe could Fee agent eligble asap. The Sox had no incentive to sign for more than one year unless it was stretched to '09 or '10.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:25 PM)
Huh?  Crede does not have a mullet.  His hair was shaggy all over - not long in the back/short in the front.

Well, he himself called it a mullet (I recall him thanking his "mullet" in his speech at the parade), so I'm just running with it.

Either way, Shaggy Crede >>>>>>>>non-Shaggy Crede.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
Yes, this is good news.  Not really unexpected.  Boras was not going let Crede sign for anything beyond 2008 so Joe could Fee agent eligble asap.  The Sox had no incentive to sign for more than one year unless it was stretched to '09 or '10.

Well, I would have said that the Sox probably did have an incentive to sign him for something like 2-3 years. Since he's still arbitration eligible...if we want to keep him after next year, we'll either have to sign him again or offer him Arb. again. From what I understand, it's very unusual to see a person's salary decline in arbitration from year to year, even if the player is hurt or has his numbers go down (how far can Crede's actually go down?). However, if Joe somehow turns last September into a season, all of a sudden he'll be in a place to ask for another million or two in arbitration next fall, and the Sox will probably have to pay it.

If we signed him to a 2-3 year deal now, it could have kept his price at that $2.3 million for each of the next 2-3 years, maybe saving the team a mil or so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Well, I would have said that the Sox probably did have an incentive to sign him for something like 2-3 years.  Since he's still arbitration eligible...if we want to keep him after next year, we'll either have to sign him again or offer him Arb. again.  From what I understand, it's very unusual to see a person's salary decline in arbitration from year to year, even if the player is hurt or has his numbers go down (how far can Crede's actually go down?).  However, if Joe somehow turns last September into a season, all of a sudden he'll be in a place to ask for another million or two in arbitration next fall, and the Sox will probably have to pay it.

If we signed him to a 2-3 year deal now, it could have kept his price at that $2.3 million for each of the next 2-3 years, maybe saving the team a mil or so.

Good point. Now, for the counterpoint. If his back goes out, they aren't locked into a long term deal.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 01:08 PM)
Good point. Now, for the counterpoint. If his back goes out, they aren't locked into a long term deal.

So...the question that raises is this: does that mean Crede's back is as bad as some people have feared?

Even if his back goes out in 06...if he can still play in 07, his salary will be roughly what it is this year because of the arbitration system, so the only way that avoiding a long-term deal with Crede makes sense is if there's a chance his back will go out to the point that he won't be able to recover even with surgery.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 03:10 PM)
So...the question that raises is this: does that mean Crede's back is as bad as some people have feared?

Even if his back goes out in 06...if he can still play in 07, his salary will be roughly what it is this year because of the arbitration system, so the only way that avoiding a long-term deal with Crede makes sense is if there's a chance his back will go out to the point that he won't be able to recover even with surgery.

I doubt it. But, it's a risk the Sox didn't have to take.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
However, if Joe somehow turns last September into a season, all of a sudden he'll be in a place to ask for another million or two in arbitration next fall, and the Sox will probably have to pay it.

I think that if Joe turns last September/October into an entire season, he will be asking for a whole hell of alot more than a million or two more. Mostly because Boras will be chirping in his ear pretty loudly by then.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 02:40 PM)
I think that if Joe turns last September/October into an entire season, he will be asking for a whole hell of alot more than a million or two more.  Mostly because Boras will be chirping in his ear pretty loudly by then.

The problem with that is...for the next 2 years, he can't. Joe is still arbitration-eligible, and arbitration-eligible players simply do not get paid that much before they hit the FA Market.

We in fact just got a good example yesterday. D-Train signed a $4 mil+ deal with the Marlins for 06, and that was a record amount for a newly arb-eligible starting pitcher. Teixeira is only going to be paid $6 million next season, and that's after putting up those massive numbers, and he's also not a FA until after 08.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)
According to WSCR 670 The Score's latest scoreboard update.  I believe the guy said 1-year, $2.675 million.  Our roster contains no more arbitration-eligible players so barring trades, our roster is complete.

YOU CAN PUT THAT ON THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YES!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheers :snr

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)
According to WSCR 670 The Score's latest scoreboard update.  I believe the guy said 1-year, $2.675 million.  Our roster contains no more arbitration-eligible players so barring trades, our roster is complete.

YAY!!!!!!! :D

:gosox3: :gosox4: :gosox1: :gosoxretro: :gosox2:

:cheers

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
What a difference a year makes. How many people would have been worried about Crede resigning a year or so ago? He was the throw-in player many of us wanted to discard in hypothetical trades before last season. That is good news, though. I just hope his back is ready for another 173 games.

With Mackoviak and Ozuna around, along with the concern the White Sox have with Crede's back, I don't think he'll play more than 120-130 games.

Guillen uses his bench during the regular season a lot, we have quality backup players so I'd be surprised if Guillen over uses Crede, especially in the 1st half of the season.

Yayayayayayay!! I was getting a little nervous there... :)

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
I hope there's something in this contract that forbids him from cutting his mullett.

:)

I don't know about the mullet...but I definitely think he should grow those lucky sideburns back. ;)

Probably the best solution for all parties here. Getting Crede locked up to a multi - year deal would have been nice, but the concerns on his back are probably too great of a risk to have for that to occur.

Let's hope Joe can produce what he did for the majority of 2005 though. He only had 2 bad months in 2005, 1 which was due to that broken finger. In the other 4, he put up OPS's over .800, which will definitely do, but there's still the scope for improvement.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
The 2006 White Sox are now complete.  Let's get this title defense thing started.  :headbang

KW still has work to do to patch holes in the bottom of the pitching staff, outfield and I think one more utility infielder. The open spots could kill a team if filled with, say Keven Walker in the pen and another Perez in the OF. There is also no plan B I can discern in the event either Kong or Thome get dinged for a while, who DH's?

There are lots of candidates already on board and KW may have more moves up his sleeve. ST will be entertaining to watch as this plays out. But I would not call the White Sox complete yet.

The open spots could kill a team if filled with, say Keven Walker in the pen and another Perez in the OF.

I really think you're placing too much importance on the last spot in the pen and the last spot for everyday players. Last year those roles were filled by Timo Perez and Marte/Viz--depending on who was throwing worse at the time.

Timo's VORP was negative! As for Marte and Viz, I'm not sure their contributions were much more. Sure they pitched well during the playoffs and for parts of the season, but overall they weren't very good. The team still managed to win 99 games.

I am all for bringing up a kid to see if he can pitch decent out of the pen. If he can't than KW makes a minor trade to get someone in.

I mean, if Ozzie is looking at the 7th inning and assuming Hermie is healthy, it has to go something like this:

Cotts,

Politte

Hermie

McCarthy

Jenks

?

It doesn't seem likely that the last man in the bullpen will see much meaningful action, much like Viz and Marte.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 17, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
whoa, the Sox got a Boras represented player to sign a contract.  This is groundbreaking.  ;)

There goes our chances of repeating. Signing a Boras client means we overpaid and now our hands are tied from making future deals. :D