2. Tadahito Iguchi 2B

3. Paul Konerko 1B

4. Jim Thome DH

5. Jermaine Dye RF

6. A.J. Pierzynski C

7. Joe Crede 3B

8. Juan Uribe SS

9. Brian Anderson CF

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
I thought gooch did a great job in the two hole.  He was good behind scotty and a very productive hitter.

Im not sure that Uribe is going to be a better 2 hitter.

Gooch did a great job, moving him down is to make him a run producer and let him swing away more. It has nothing to do with him getting demoted from that spot or anything like that.

I really hope Uribe doesn't bat second. I'm sorry, but his OBP is terrible for a number 2 hitter. We need someone to get on base with the big boppers coming up, not someone swinging at everything and getting himself out.

I love Uribe, I just would love him more in the 8 hole. IMO, the best move would be to leave Gooch at number 2 and just not ask him to give himself up so damn much. But knowing Ozzie, that has about zero change of happening.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
I really hope Uribe doesn't bat second.  I'm sorry, but his OBP is terrible for a  number 2 hitter.  We need someone to get on base with the big boppers coming up, not someone swinging at everything and getting himself out.

I love Uribe, I just would love him more in the 8 hole.  IMO, the best move would be to leave Gooch at number 2 and just not ask him to give himself up so damn much.  But knowing Ozzie, that has about zero change of happening.

Yah. I'm not a big fan of having Juan in the 2 spot. Even if he has a better year (which I think almost everyone expects that he will), he is just way too streaky, and doesn't have a great OBP. Iguchi's OBP is pretty good, and having him and Pods back to back getting on base is important for Paul/Thome/Dye. I think it's safe to say that his BB numbers would improve in the 2 spot, but not by a whole bunch. There was a lot of stuff broken in our lineup this year, but the 2 spot wasn't one of them. I know Iguchi would have much better numbers and production in the 5 or 6 spot, but I don't thienk the difference is worth it. Ozzie seems intent on moving him down, though we'll see how long that lasts if Uribe gets off to a slow spot in the 2 hole.

I couldn't agree more jphat. Why try to fit a square peg into a round whole? Let Uribe be the defensive god and streaky power hitter that he is--don't try and make him a OBP machine at the top of the order.

I hate to mention that Cubs, but what they did to Corey Patterson by trying to bat him leadoff is a great example of a club asking a guy to do something any sane observer would say is crazy.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
I couldn't agree more jphat.  Why try to fit a square peg into a round whole?  Let Uribe be the defensive god and streaky power hitter that he is--don't try and make him a OBP machine at the top of the order.

I hate to mention that Cubs, but what they did to Corey Patterson by trying to bat him leadoff is a great example of a club asking a guy to do something any sane observer would say is crazy.

I'm sure if it's hurting the team, Ozzie will go back to the way it was. but for Gooch's sake, Ozzie will try to fit the square peg into the round hole, and maybe Uribe will respond positively to the added responsibility.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
Dont know bout anyone else but damn this looks like a THREE-PEAT type lineup

Chicago White Sox

No. Player Position

1. Scott Podsednik LF

2. Tadahito Iguchi 2B

3. Paul Konerko 1B

4. Jim Thome DH

5. Jermaine Dye RF

6. A.J. Pierzynski C

7. Joe Crede 3B

8. Juan Uribe SS

9. Brian Anderson CF

Fixed your post considering all these guys are under control until 2007. B)

I have absolutely no idea if the batting order shuffle will work, but there is some logic to Uribe moving into the two-hole.

1. Uribe was tied for 2nd in the AL in sacrifice flies, and tied for 3rd in sacrifice hits. With Podsednik being the constant threat to steal, we are looking for a hitter willing to sacrifice his share of at-bats. If Uribe continues this trend, he could fill the role pretty well.

2. The other line of thinking is that batting in front of Thome and Konerko could really benefit Uribe. Its possible that being placed in front of the big boppers might give him better pitches to hit. For a free-swinger like Uribe, this could lead to a pretty productive year offensively.

Now, I'm not sure how much stock to put into the two examples listed above, but my guess is that this may be part of what Ozzie is thinking by moving him up the order. Could it fail? Of course. And I'm sure that if Ozzie and Co. sense that Uribe batting 2nd ain't gonna work, they'll make a change. As I've been saying for quite a while, I'll give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 18, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
I have absolutely no idea if the batting order shuffle will work, but there is some logic to Uribe moving into the two-hole.

1.  Uribe was tied for 2nd in the AL in sacrifice flies, and tied for 3rd in sacrifice hits.  With Podsednik being the constant threat to steal, we are looking for a hitter willing to sacrifice his share of at-bats.  If Uribe continues this trend, he could fill the role pretty well.

2.  The other line of thinking is that batting in front of Thome and Konerko could really benefit Uribe.  Its possible that being placed in front of the big boppers might give him better pitches to hit.  For a free-swinger like Uribe, this could lead to a pretty productive year offensively.

Now, I'm not sure how much stock to put into the two examples listed above, but my guess is that this may be part of what Ozzie is thinking by moving him up the order.  Could it fail?  Of course.  And I'm sure that if Ozzie and Co. sense that Uribe batting 2nd ain't gonna work, they'll make a change.  As I've been saying for quite a while, I'll give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt.

One other point is that Iguchi is probably used to junkballers from playing in Japan. He will see a lot more of that at the bottom of the order than batting behind Pods where there will be a lot of fastballs thrown. Is Uribe a good fastball hitter?

Well, in 2004 Uribe had a good amount of his at-bats in the #2 hole. Hitting .285 .331 .846 with 12 HR 39 RBI's 18 2B. I think maybe Ozzie remembers that performance and thinks his new approach may improve upon those numbers. In 2003 he even had better numbers than that with only 51 at bats though. .294 .357 .906.

If you compare Iguchi's #2 numbers: .274 .338 .772 114 SO 507 AB

With uribe's in 2004 batting #2: .285 .331 .846 52 SO 260 AB

It almost looks like Uribe would be more succesful.