your thoughts

2nd_city_saint787

just wondering how you guys think Contreras will do without Hernandez around? I believe there was talks that one of the main reasons for Jose's success last year was thanks in part to him being around his best friend el duque. Do ne of you see a drop off in stats since he is no longer here?? also how was uribe with puttin down bunts last year...i really like the idea of putting tad in the 6 but do u think uribe will do good in the 2?

:gosox1:

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
just wondering how you guys think Contreras will do without Hernandez around? I believe there was talks that one of the main reasons for Jose's success last year was thanks in part to him being around his best friend el duque. Do ne of you see a drop off in stats since he is no longer here?? also how was uribe with puttin down bunts last year...i really like the idea of putting tad in the 6 but do u think uribe will do good in the 2?

One the keys for Contreras was when Hernandez told him to pitch like he did while in Cuba. Jose went back to that and became an ace calibre pitcher. I see no reason for Jose to deviate from that again, since he's proven he is successful.

QUOTE(2nd_city_saint787 @ Jan 20, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)

I think the whole Contreras/Hernandez friendship thing is overrated. Contreras didn't dominate like he did because of the presence of Hernandez. It was simply a case of a guy realizing his talent. Even Don Cooper has said as much.

As far as Uribe goes? I think he's capable of hitting in the 2 slot. He's gonna definitely have to learn to be more selective at that plate. He can't go up there tryin to kill the ball every at-bat. Spring training is gonna be very interesting this year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 02:38 AM)
I think the whole Contreras/Hernandez friendship thing is overrated.  Contreras didn't dominate like he did because of the presence of Hernandez.  It was simply a case of a guy realizing his talent.  Even Don Cooper has said as much. 

As far as Uribe goes?  I think he's capable of hitting in the 2 slot.  He's gonna definitely have to learn to be more selective at that plate.  He can't go up there tryin to kill the ball every at-bat.  Spring training is gonna be very interesting this year.

I dont know that it was overrated, I think Hernandez really helped Contreras and made him feel more comfortable with how he pitched. I think Contreras certainly will continue to dominate without Hernandez, but El Duque was a great guy to have on a team, in the clubhouse, and in the big game situations.

I think Uribe can hit in the #2 spot with some work, although I think Tad is a great #2 hitter and should be #2,

QUOTE(rventura23 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
I dont know that it was overrated, I think Hernandez really helped Contreras and made him feel more comfortable with how he pitched.  I think Contreras certainly will continue to dominate without Hernandez, but El Duque was a great guy to have on a team, in the clubhouse, and in the big game situations.

I think Uribe can hit in the #2 spot with some work, although I think Tad is a great #2 hitter and should be #2,

Well, Contreras had Hernandez in NY and that didn't do much for him. I think it's cool that they were close and all. I just don't see how him not being there can potentially effect Contreras. If Jose flops in 06, it won't be because El Duque wasn't there.

Now that Contreras has his family here, I don't think El Duque will be as missed as he would have been.

The Iguchi / Uribe switch should be interesting. I do think Spring Training and the early part of the season will tell the tale of whether that will profit either one or both of them. What would be an interesting problem for Ozzie would be if Iguchi "blossoms" down in the lineup but Uribe is terrible behind Pods.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 03:32 AM)
Well,  Contreras had Hernandez in NY and that didn't do much for him.  I think it's cool that they were close and all.  I just don't see how him not being there can potentially effect Contreras.  If Jose flops in 06,  it won't be because El Duque wasn't there.

I forgot they were together in NY, so you might be more right about it being overrated. I agree El Duque wont cause any problem for Jose being gone. After all, I think Coop has been the best in the majors with his staff.

Well, Contreras had Hernandez in NY and that didn't do much for him.

they actually were on the yankees for a very short period of time together. count was with the yankees in 2003 and 2004. duque missed all of 2003 with an injury. in 2004, they spent maybe a half of a season together. count came to the white sox right after the all-star break, and duque missed parts of the first half with an injury.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
Wasn't El Duque on the Yankees when Contreras was there?  Didn't make a difference for Contreras there, so I think their relationship is rather overated.  Won't really know until the season starts though.

yeah but it was like for 2 months. El Duque was recovering from an injury for most of the 1st half. Contreras got traded at the deadline.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Jan 21, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
yeah but it was like for 2 months.  El Duque was recovering from an injury for most of the 1st half.

Yea, thats what I was wondering. I wasn't sure if Duque was actually healthy during the time they shared in New York.