Top 10 Classic Rock Must Have Albums

Texsox

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoCalSouthSider59 @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
I can certainly think of 10 better albums to list, Bad Company's Bad Company and Deep Purple's Who Do We Think We Are! come to mind off the top of my head. Also, any early Sabbath, Cooper, Aerosmith, ect. ect..........

1968's Pet Sounds? Most definitely YES!

1974's Quadrophenia? The best and most underated record The Who ever made, it makes my list. The 1980 Movie was pretty good too........

Let's not forget "Overnite Sensation" and "Roxy and Elsewhere", with some of the "Elsewhere" being the live concert at the Old Chicago Amphitheater on Mothers Day, 1974, May 11th, i believe. I was at that concert, all of 15 years old at the time. How many of you Chicagoland Zappa freaks remember that? I'm surprised that i still do, as stoned as i was at that concert!  :lol: Ya, still a big time Zappa fan here..........

:gosox1:

:cheers

Sadly, I was only 7 at the time of the Zappa Amphitheater show. But, I did own my own copy pf Apostrophe by the time I was 11, so I was on the right track.

I saw two Chicago Zappa shows in 1984 (these became the basis for the "Dropping Dildoes" bootleg), and I saw both of the Broadway the hard Way 1988 Chicago shows, including the show where Sting sang Murder By Numbers that is on the album. My damn friends were sitting next to Sting during the first set. I had gate crashed to get onto the main floor before he showed up and didn't meet him.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
does anybody know somebody with the entire zappa collection? I have a friend with everything the fall ever released and thats not even comparable to zappas output...well, to be fair theyve had about 10 less years

I am about as close to a Zappa completist as anybody I know. I have everything officially released during his lifetime up to and including Yellow Shark, and also Civilization (Phase III) put out just after his death. There are a few things that have come out recently that I have not picked up including an album along the lines of Guitar and Shut Up and Play... called Frank Zappa playes the music of Frank Zappa. I believe all of the solos included were selected by Dweezil. There are also a few from the vault releases that have come out recently that I will get as soon as funds permit.

Including the official releases, the boots, the legal "Beat the Boots," I have easily 100 Zappa titles.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)
does anybody know somebody with the entire zappa collection? I have a friend with everything the fall ever released and thats not even comparable to zappas output...well, to be fair theyve had about 10 less years

I have the majority of them, but not all legit sadly. Once I get the money, I plan on buying them all once I get the money, which might be awhile :P

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
Some brilliant Beefhart on that baby.  And Sugarcane Harris can play a badass blues violin too.

Trivia:  do you know who the girl on the cover peering out of the crypt is?

Christine Frka (didn't know this off the top of my head though, google helped me)

She was a baby sitter for Zappa's kids.

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Hrats/intro1.html

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
Christine Frka (didn't know this off the top of my head though, google helped me)

She was a baby sitter for Zappa's kids.

http://www.arf.ru/Notes/Hrats/intro1.html

Yep. :cheers

She was also "Miss Christine" of the infamous FZ-produced all-girl band the GTOs ("Girls Together Outrageously"). Most of them were L.A. groupies, but Christine was supposed to be very nice. Sadly, she died of a heroin overdose very young.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
we're all young guys, so any option to see a band you listen to a lot that you'll never get to see gain...i mean ...it was only like 12 bucks so not much lost

speaking of the sex pistols and stiff little fingers...does anybody like Wire?

Oh, don't get me wrong, I would go also, but missed it. But without such a major part, it still seems a little "pointless" in a way. Heck, I agree 100% with you though.

It took the morning radio to jump start my brain to add a seminal album to the top 10 most important rock albums. Carole King's Tapestry. Possibly the closest thing to a perfect pop album. A huge musical talent at the top of her game, given the freedom to make her masterpiece. So far Away still chokes me up every single time I hear it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
It took the morning radio to jump start my brain to add a seminal album to the top 10 most important rock albums.  Carole King's Tapestry.  Possibly the closest thing to a perfect pop album.  A huge musical talent at the top of her game, given the freedom to make her masterpiece.  So far Away still chokes me up every single time I hear it.

I agree it's a great album, but I wouldn't call it classic 'rock'.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:45 PM)
I agree it's a great album, but I wouldn't call it classic 'rock'.

That's a valid point, and it is why I refined it as a pop masterpiece rather than rock. But, given the latitude of the original list with the inclusion of Blonde on Blonde, I think Tapestry warrants inclusion.

Plus, songs like I Feel the Earth Move and Smackwater Jack are rocking little numbers, even if some other songs take a softer approach.

Also, I may be looking for an appropriate album on which to place the lifetiime achievement award. Though Tapestry itself may defy descrioption, the Goffin/King compositions penned in the Brill Building through the 60s fairly defined the rock and roll genre.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
It took the morning radio to jump start my brain to add a seminal album to the top 10 most important rock albums.  Carole King's Tapestry.  Possibly the closest thing to a perfect pop album.  A huge musical talent at the top of her game, given the freedom to make her masterpiece.  So far Away still chokes me up every single time I hear it.

I finally bought that about four weeks ago, and was blown away how well every song fit. I've heard every song at least 100+ times as singles, but until I heard the album, start to finish, I never really appreciated just how incredible the album is.

If I was putting together a Top 10 Pop Album, that would be the first I added, then I would stop and just listen. The list would be complete.

Getting back to the topic, I was thinking if I was to lecture on what "Classic Rock" was and try to explain why hundreds of millions of albums were sold of that genre, these would be, with maybe one or two changes, the albums I would play for people that never heard "classic rock". Mainstream, popular, selections. If you were trying to lecture on the best works, of the pinnacle of artistry, there are better examples.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 25, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Getting back to the topic, I was thinking if I was to lecture on what "Classic Rock" was and try to explain why hundreds of millions of albums were sold of that genre, these would be, with maybe one or two changes, the albums I would play for people that never heard "classic rock".  Mainstream, popular, selections. If you were trying to lecture on the best works, of the pinnacle of artistry, there are better examples.

that's an interesting point, but while i'd agree with the artists to show someone "classic rock", but i'm not sure if i'd agree on the particular albums of each artist...

i think if i were to do what you are saying, i'd do

Led Zeppelin - PHysical Graffiti

The BEatles - Rubber Soul, thou actaully revolver is cool

The Who - Who's Next

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?

Cream - Free Cream

Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

and i guess i'll take the rest if i had to...jefferson airplanes a bit iffy thou, if its "classic rock" i'd rather put some southern rock in there...maybe some allman brothers or lynard skynard