White House Visit

greasywheels121

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 08:16 PM)
hows this gonna work?  Isn't President Bush an Astros fan?  Just like his Dad.

GW once owned the Rangers and has publically cheered for them in the past. I highly doubt his allegance to any team would affect anything.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 09:16 PM)
hows this gonna work?  Isn't President Bush an Astros fan?  Just like his Dad.

Doesn't matter. There's nothing personal about this tradition. It's just the President shaking hands with the players, and the players presenting a jersey to the President.

Just a nice photo-op.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
It will be great to see the White Sox at the White House. I would think Rowand would be in attendance as he was part of the World Championship team.

:gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox1:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:

After Philly fans went apes*** about him wearing that Bears jersey, going to the White House with the Sox may not be a good idea for Rowand.

Aaron will be there... Everyone will be there. It's a tradition and as much as I don't agree poltically with President Bush its something everyone on the White Sox will attend. Except maybe Ozzie because of his relationship with Hugo Chavez, one of Bush's harshest critics (for good reason in my opinion). The off-season is way too long. I want the season to start already

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 22, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
After Philly fans went apes*** about him wearing that Bears jersey, going to the White House with the Sox may not be a good idea for Rowand.

Last year after Derek Lowe and a few others were already gone from Boston, they put their BoSox uniforms back on in the Boston ring ceremony. A few people around did complain, but for the most part they were scoffed at.

The White Sox expect to be honored with a special visit to the White House within the next few weeks.

Representatives from the World Series champions had hoped to arrange a visit for next Monday—immediately after this weekend's sold-out SoxFest celebration at the downtown Hyatt Regency. But Monday "just didn't work for the president," a White House official said.

So the meeting with President Bush is now likely pushed back to sometime during the first two weeks of February, before pitchers and catchers report to spring training on Feb. 17.

A White House representative is expected to make the formal announcement when Sox players, coaches and manager Ozzie Guillen will be invited to Washington.

"Ozzie is pretty busy, but the president is busier," said Scott Reifert, vice president of communications for the White Sox.

Wouldn't you love to be privy to an animated discussion on the White House lawn between the free-spirited and glib Guillen and the president about any topic ranging from baseball to political issues in South America?

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jan 23, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
Aaron will be there... Everyone will be there. It's a tradition and as much as I don't agree poltically with President Bush its something everyone on the White Sox will attend. Except maybe Ozzie because of his relationship with Hugo Chavez, one of Bush's harshest critics (for good reason in my opinion). The off-season is way too long. I want the season to start already

Must. bite. tongue.

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jan 24, 2006 -> 12:26 AM)

I'm not meaning to pick on this poster in particular, but please refrain from stating your policital opinions in this thread. You WILL be suspended, no questions asked. This is your only warning.

We have a whole forum for this stuff, go state your opinions there, and let's leave this thread in good taste, no matter what your thoughts are on 'political debate'. I, and some others, would really appreciate that.

Everyone involved will be classy, and we should do the same.

Did anybody read the bottom section of the story? There's gonna be a Sox shrine at Harry Caray's restaurant. Gotta love contant visual reminders...

"Harry Caray's Restaurant, known more for its Cubs-themed photos and memorabilia, is building a special White Sox World Series display that will be unveiled at 12:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Last Wednesday, Mayor Richard Daley was at Harry Caray's for lunch. After Grant DePorter, managing partner of the restaurant, informed him of the plan for the display, the city's No. 1 Sox fan said he loved the idea and would be dining at the restaurant a lot more.

Former White Sox slugger Ron Kittle, Harry Caray's widow, Dutchie, and Faust will accept delivery of the memorabilia and dedicate the display. Harry Caray was the White Sox play-by-play announcer for 11 seasons, from 1971 to 1981.

The shrine will include the "last-out bat" used by Houston's Orlando Palmeiro in Game 4 of the World Series that gave the Sox their first championship since 1917, and Paul Konerko's grand slam ball, which fan Chris Claeys caught during Game 2. Claeys immediately placed the ball in a secured vault at MB Financial Bank. It will arrive at Harry Caray's from the bank in an armored car surrounded by security guards. Claeys' Game 2 World Series ticket, a letter from Gov. Rod Blagojevich written to Claeys and other Sox memorabilia will be on display."