Reliving High School

JUGGERNAUT

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:38 PM)
I had a pretty "bad" semester during my sophomore year of high school which really did wonders for me in the long term. The knowledge that basically all my friends had done better than me in one particular class really became a source of motivation for the rest of my academic career. This doesn't work for everybody, but most anyone can find some sense of pride in doing well in at least one or two classes. I just hope that when you say "temporary", you are already weaning her off the Juggernaut Prep plan.

I completely agree with what you are saying. This past semester, I had a 4.18 and I was pissed off at myself because I did awful on my German final and ended up getting a B+ for the class after getting A's both 9 weeks. It was embarassing for me because the teacher said in front of the class "you really disappointed me on your final" and one of my good friends aced it and he was bragging about it. That pissed me off.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
:o Not a 4.18, god no.

Well it should have been a 4.28 :P

Three of my six classes are on a 5 points scale, so it is inflated. It sucks though because my first four semesters of high school I didn't get honors points for being in honors classes. Junior and senior year we get the extra point, so it balances things out..

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
Well it should have been a 4.28  :P

Three of my six classes are on a 5 points scale, so it is inflated. It sucks though because my first four semesters of high school I didn't get honors points for being in honors classes. Junior and senior year we get the extra point, so it balances things out..

Someone once told me that no school in Illinois works on a 5 point scale. It made me laugh because my school does and I know about another 4 that do to.

Sidenote: I can't believe the CPS shut Crane HS down...those were the funnest baseball games in the history of the universe.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:49 PM)
Someone once told me that no school in Illinois works on a 5 point scale. It made me laugh because my school does and I know about another 4 that do to.

Sidenote: I can't believe the CPS shut Crane HS down...those were the funnest baseball games in the history of the universe.

Do you get the 5 point scale all four years?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
Junior in High School and neither of my parents have ever done homework for me and I would never want them to. Why set myself up for dissapointment later on? I don't expect a co-worker to just do my work for me because I havent been out in a week or 2. That is retarted! I am probably the laziest person I know and I am still able to manage schoolwork, homework, the up-coming ACT, college search, baseball, and a social life without complaining or begging someone to do work for me. Please.

I know you are lying now.

QUOTE(whitesoxin' @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Well it should have been a 4.28  :P

4.5 this sem. :headbang

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
Don't let your daughter become a cheater.

You can't control this. These values are taught early. Even then, it's difficult to overcome temptation if the right opportunity presents itself.

Everyone cheats at numerous points in their life. I wouldn't condone it, of course.

Personally, I don't recall studying for one quiz (administered every week) for Spanish II and III courses. This was due to our teacher allowing students the opportunity to grade their OWN papers at the front of his desk. His reasoning--to save time. My plan: apply a strip of lead to my finger using a bandaid and circle or write in the correct answer. Worked perfectly. Do I regret it? f*** NO. Class was dificult enough and I had the misfortune of juggling the workload of other courses and a job.

Again, wouldn't recommend cheating. :usa

Edited by Flash Tizzle

I didn't explain the details of my role & since so much of the "cheat" word is popping up I feel further explanation is required.

In the Fall & early Winter I played the role of the tutor for my child. It became evident to me she was taking too long to solve problems & complete assignments. It was then that I brought up the possibility she needs slower classes with a less demanding workload. That was shot down by the teachers so I got no support from the school or at home on this idea.

In early Dec I said no to continuing the tutor role. It was taking too much of my time & quite frankly it was depressing. I told my wife hire somebody. She was reluctant to do so & we compromised to where I just had to produce answer keys. She would fill the tutor role. I agreed to that but with one condition: If she couldn't see any improvement we would push for slower classes or special ed. She agreed.

I think most paid tutors both budget their time & leave when homework assignments are complete. That means they apply extra help when it's needed to get it finished in a reasonable amount of time. That's the same scenario for my kid. Her Mom controls the answer keys. Schools don't consider making use of tutors cheating. They encourage it.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
I didn't explain the details of my role & since so much of the "cheat" word is popping up I feel further explanation is required.

In the Fall & early Winter I played the role of the tutor for my child.  It became evident to me she was taking too long to solve problems & complete assignments.  It was then that I brought up the possibility she needs slower classes with a less demanding workload.  That was shot down by the teachers so I got no support from the school or at home on this idea.

In early Dec I said no to continuing the tutor role.  It was taking too much of my time & quite frankly it was depressing.  I told my wife hire somebody.  She was reluctant to do so & we compromised to where I just had to produce answer keys.  She would fill the tutor role.  I agreed to that but with one condition: If she couldn't see any improvement we would push for slower classes or special ed.  She agreed.

I think most paid tutors both budget their time & leave when homework assignments are complete.  That means they apply extra help when it's needed to get it finished in a reasonable amount of time.  That's the same scenario for my kid.  Her Mom controls the answer keys.  Schools don't consider making use of tutors cheating.  They encourage it.

You see thats when u went downhill at least in my opinion.....Yes it might of took a long time and yes it might of been kind of depressing.... but this is your KID... your child a person who if needed should take 100% of your time and than some.....

If you want to do it the "right" way than you have to let your kid at least attempt every problem and do her best.... than after that go through her HW with her and show her where she messed up and work the problems out..... thats how you should it.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
In the Fall & early Winter I played the role of the tutor for my child.  It became evident to me she was taking too long to solve problems & complete assignments.  It was then that I brought up the possibility she needs slower classes with a less demanding workload.  That was shot down by the teachers so I got no support from the school or at home on this idea.

Too long to solve problems? She should take as long as possible until she gets it, that's the point of a problem, to make one solve it.

And maybe, just maybe, the teachers are shooting down the idea because they see the potential that your daughter has, and you want her to take the easy way out and to get into slower classes.

This is sickening...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Did you let her pierce her naval yet?  Does she have any other piercings?  Did you search her cell phone for text messages from boys yet? 

Theres a pattern developing beind the scenes.

Piercing-thongs-boys-drinking-drugs-sex

That is ridiculous.

Being a HS student, everyone cheats. If you don't cheat you're behind the curve. I can't remember the last time I did the busy work they give us actually at home. Probably my soph year (im a senior). Sure essays and projects I have no problem doing at home but really it is not that hard to succeed without trying. I got a 3.4 and I probably give about 20%. Sure, I didn't get into Illinois but hey they're losing out on a bright mind.