Scot Gregor's Q & A with Kenny Williams

SSH2005

Williams not resting on his laurels

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=147020

Instead of practicing his bows for this weekend’s SoxFest, the first official gathering of the 2005 World Series champions, White Sox general manager Kenny Williams on Wednesday was enjoying a leisurely round of golf near his winter home in Phoenix.

At the turn, Williams took some time for a question-and-answer session with Daily Herald beat writer Scot Gregor.

Q. Considering you built the White Sox team that brought home the first World Series trophy since 1917, what type of reception are you expecting this weekend?

A. I’m sure it won’t be as venomous as it’s been in past years. But I expect to encounter some resistance from Aaron Rowand fans and Frank Thomas fans and Willie Harris fans.

It just goes with the territory. No matter what you’ve done, you’re never going to be loved by everyone. The sooner you realize that, the better off you’ll be.

Q. Have you been able to enjoy your World Series title this off-season?

A. (Laughing). Not really. There were things we were working on for the future, even when we were leading the (AL Central) division by 15 games. It’s always an evolving process, whether it’s going after an Esteban Loaiza or Juan Uribe in the past or a Jim Thome this year.

Some of these guys have been on our target list for two years or more, and you are always working toward that list, always looking ahead.

Yeah, last year was great and we enjoyed it. But it has no bearing on 2006. You have to go out and prove yourself all over again. I think the biggest, most important thing is we have to ignore what happened in October and go into spring training as if we haven’t won a thing.

Q. Last year, the Sox headed into spring training picked to finish no better than third or fourth in the AL Central. This year, the White Sox already are viewed as the consensus favorites to win it all again. How do you deal with being the favorite?

A. We’re still trying to figure out where that edge is going to come from. I think we showed we handle ourselves much better when the expectations are low. Between myself, (manager) Ozzie (Guillen) and the staff, we’ll try to come up with something. I’ve already heard some people saying there is no way we can repeat, so maybe we’ll try going down that road.

Q. You’ve lost Rowand (traded to the Phillies for Thome), Thomas (signed with the Athletics on Wednesday), Harris (signed with the Red Sox) and Orlando “El Duque” Hernandez (traded to the Diamondbacks), among others, from the World Series team.

But you’ve added Thome, Javier Vazquez and Rob Mackowiak. Is it fair to say the 2006 Sox will be better?

A. I think if I said this year’s team is better than the one that won the World Series, it would be a slap in the face to the team that went out and did something no Chicago team has done in 88 years. I don’t think a comparison needs to be made.

Q. Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in three weeks, and you still have six starters (Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Vazquez and Brandon McCarthy) and only five spots in the rotation. Is it safe to assume one of the starters will be traded before Opening Day?

A. I’m at the golf course right now, so I’m trying not to think about trades. But I go online sometimes and get plenty of ideas about what I should be doing with the extra starter.

Let me say this: In my mind, there is no such thing as having too much starting pitching. I can remember more than one season when we struggled to find a fifth starter, and that really hurt us.

If anybody out there thinks we’re going to move one of our starting pitchers for less than equal value — for anything less than a guy that can get up on the mound and give us the same results — they’re barking up the wrong tree.

Q. Let’s say you keep Contreras and send McCarthy back to the minor leagues. That brings the 2006 payroll in at roughly $95 million, up $20 million from last season. Can the White Sox afford the 27 percent increase?

A. If you remember four or five years ago, people were questioning why I was being so aggressive. Not only was I trying to make the organization more competitive, I wanted to reposition ourselves in the Chicago market. I never bought into the feeling that we were a middle-market club.

The goal was always winning the World Series, and now our goal is to do it again and really capture the attention of our fans. We want to earn the trust of our fan base to where they’re going to make the conscientious decision to spend their discretionary entertainment dollars on us, on our product.

So far, it’s proving to hold some water. But our guys have to go out on the field and show this is something they can sustain.

Q. Pitchers and catchers report to spring training in three weeks, and you still have six starters (Mark Buehrle, Jose Contreras, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Vazquez and Brandon McCarthy) and only five spots in the rotation. Is it safe to assume one of the starters will be traded before Opening Day?

A. I’m at the golf course right now, so I’m trying not to think about trades. But I go online sometimes and get plenty of ideas about what I should be doing with the extra starter

Alright, whats his screename? :)

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Thanks. Gregor did a nice job and I think Kenny did a great job in honoring last year's team with a refusal to compare the champions with the 2006 Sox.

I’m disappointed he didn’t ask him why it’s so F’ing smart to trade the most productive two way CF in the American League and two very hard to find LH pitching prospects for a $13 million 35 year old slugger who hit 7 homeruns in a season limited to 59 games due to injury, while letting go a $0.5 million 37 year old slugger who hit 12 homeruns in 34 games a injury season.

I’m disappointed he didn’t ask him why it’s so F’ing smart to trade the most productive two way CF in the American League and two very hard to find LH pitching prospects for a $13 million 35 year old slugger who hit 7 homeruns in a season limited to 59 games due to injury, while letting go a $0.5 million 37 year old slugger who hit 12 homeruns in 34 games a injury season.

If Frank stays healthier and outperforms Thome, I may agree with you. But Brian Anderson had to play sooner or later.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 08:53 PM)

Because he's a better GM than you.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 07:53 PM)

Fixed it for you.

This was mentioned in today's Herald, but is any gm currently in the game more cut-throat than Kenny? The guy is cold blooded. I f***in love it. We just won a title and it's like we haven't won s***. This dude wants it 10 times more in 06 than he did in 05. All Hail Kenny!

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Shrunken Slugger @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 06:17 PM)
I’m sure it won’t be as venomous as it’s been in past years. But I expect to encounter some resistance from Aaron Rowand fans and Frank Thomas fans and Willie Harris fans.

Don't know why I think this is so funny.

I think there's only one Willie Harris fan on the planet, and her name is Steff.

Frank would have cost the Sox $10M

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 26, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Frank would have cost the Sox $10M

I know what you're saying, there is a union rule about how much you can cut the salary of a player you resign. But I thought it didn't apply after the buy out. If you are right about the minimum offer then I would understand the moves better, but if the minimum applied I think we would have heard it.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
I know what you're saying, there is a union rule about how much you can cut the salary of a player you resign.  But I thought it didn't apply after the buy out.  If you are right about the minimum offer then I would understand the moves better, but if the minimum applied I think we would have heard it.

So lets get this right, you wanted the Sox to resign Thomas over trading for Thome?

1. I seriously doubt that Frank will be healthy for a full season.

2. I seriously doubt that Frank would have signed here for $500K + incentives.

QUOTE(Mickster @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
1.  I seriously doubt that Frank will be healthy for a full season. 

2.  I seriously doubt that Frank would have signed here for $500K + incentives.

You are right...he would be playing for...let's see...$3.5 mil buyout + $500,000 + $2.6 mil in incentives, sooo...carry the one...

1 year/$6.6 mil with $4 mil guaranteed.

I say...nope, thanks for the memories, I hope you get your 500 hrs...and i hope you go 0-fer against the Sox.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 27, 2006 -> 10:59 AM)
You are right...he would be playing for...let's see...$3.5 mil buyout + $500,000 + $2.6 mil in incentives, sooo...carry the one...

1 year/$6.6 mil with $4 mil guaranteed. 

I say...nope, thanks for the memories, I hope you get your 500 hrs...and i hope you go 0-fer against the Sox.

The 3.5 is paid regardless.

The decision is on .5 million guaranteed, after excersing the 3.5 option which applies in either case.