K-Fed

Kyyle23

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 09:36 PM)
Ok then, throw in "Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star"  by Black Star.  Mos Def went on to do solo stuff and I think he still hosts 'Def Poetry" on HBO.

"Midnight Marauders" by A Tribe Called Quest is not a bad pick up either.

I don't know what you've heard, but most people who don't like hip-hop only know the "I drink 40s, smoke blunts, bone b****es and shoot everyone" gangsta crap.  Of course there is a little bit of that in most hip hop, but there is different stuff out there KG.

Btw, LMB, can you tell me if "Reflection Eternal" is any good?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 07:39 PM)
Btw, LMB, can you tell me if "Reflection Eternal" is any good?

I try not to say stuff is good or bad, who the F am I to make that call? I'll say this, I enjoy Black Star and I don't own it. Try to have a listen before you make the purchase. ;)

Well, if you've heard it, and have heard more than a song or two by Talib Kweli, you're in a much better position to make that call than I am. I understand what you're saying, but I don't know anyone who has the album (or, hell, anyone who would ever listen to TK) -- so I ask for opinions. No harm in that.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
Well, if you've heard it, and have heard more than a song or two by Talib Kweli, you're in a much better position to make that call than I am.  I understand what you're saying, but I don't know anyone who has the album (or, hell, anyone who would ever listen to TK) -- so I ask for opinions.  No harm in that.

No harm at all, I hope I didn't come across as an ass. I just feel wierd saying music is good or bad, because that would just be my opinion and it's just as valid as anyone else's. My PERSONAL opinion is that it was kind of a let down. I remember a lot of people saying Mos Def had all the talent in Black Star and a lot of us anxiously waited for TK's record to break hoping he would prove them wrong. When it did, I was dissapointed.

You won't hate it, so pick it up and tell me what you think. :cheers

Give me 10 mins, then check your PM.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 02:21 AM)
No harm at all, I hope I didn't come across as an ass.  I just feel wierd saying music is good or bad, because that would just be my opinion and it's just as valid as anyone else's.  My PERSONAL opinion is that it was kind of a let down.  I remember a lot of people saying Mos Def had all the talent in Black Star and a lot of us anxiously waited for TK's record to break hoping he would prove them wrong.  When it did, I was dissapointed.

You won't hate it, so pick it up and tell me what you think.  :cheers

Give me 10 mins, then check your PM.

No, I sort of understand not wanting to give an opinion on good/bad, at least if noone asks. But if someone asks, they should always take it with a grain of salt. It's an opinion, not gospel, I know that.

It's cool. :cheers

Come on guys, your just ignorant to what a good "Brazilian Ass Shaker" sounds like.

Oh, and for real....if you want good hip hop, listen to Common (especially older stuff), Nas (especially older stuff), and Talib Kweli. That is some good stuff, mixes smooth lyrics and delivery with solid beats.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:31 AM)
and if you want to taste a little hip hop, you can try out some Jurassic 5, GURU(Jazzmatazz Volume 1), Some early OutKast(ATLiens)

Amen on GURU and early Outkast (especially ATLiens). I can't say Jurassic 5 though, I was a big fans of theirs...but then saw them live in concert last summer, and it left a lot to be desired.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:32 AM)
Amen on GURU and early Outkast (especially ATLiens).  I can't say Jurassic 5 though, I was a big fans of theirs...but then saw them live in concert last summer, and it left a lot to be desired.

REALLY? That surprises me, my buddy saw them at Coachella and said they blew the roof off, the second half of their set was all beat boxing and free styling. He said they had the crowd in their hand and it was just off the hook the whole show. Sometimes I think show location has alot to do with show performance.

I love their cds, Im gonna have to check out their show now.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
REALLY?  That surprises me, my buddy saw them at Coachella and said they blew the roof off, the second half of their set was all beat boxing and free styling.  He said they had the crowd in their hand and it was just off the hook the whole show.  Sometimes I think show location has alot to do with show performance. 

I love their cds, Im gonna have to check out their show now.

I still really like their CD's and listen to them, but due to their underwhelming live performance, no longer have them as "suggested hip hop". I saw them at Tweeter down in Tinley Park though, which is a spacious facility to say the least. I bet if I saw them again in a more intimate setting like a club or something, it would be a different story.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I still really like their CD's and listen to them, but due to their underwhelming live performance, no longer have them as "suggested hip hop".  I saw them at Tweeter down in Tinley Park though, which is a spacious facility to say the least.  I bet if I saw them again in a more intimate setting like a club or something, it would be a different story.

The Tweeter center, that explains everything. I cant even count how many times that place (and its twin in St Louis) have robbed me of a good listening experience because of their piss poor set-up and acoustics.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:47 AM)
The Tweeter center, that explains everything.  I cant even count how many times that place (and its twin in St Louis) have robbed me of a good listening experience because of their piss poor set-up and acoustics.

First (and only) time I've been there, amen man that place sucks. And AMEN on Mobb Deep Los, I just hope he doesn't ruin himself in G-Unit. His older stuff is great, and more recently "Got it Twisted" is excellent.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:32 AM)
Amen on GURU and early Outkast (especially ATLiens).  I can't say Jurassic 5 though, I was a big fans of theirs...but then saw them live in concert last summer, and it left a lot to be desired.

Whoa, I saw Jurassic 5 in concernt this year for a benefit, and it was by FAR the best Rap concert I have ever been to.

ATLiens is probably one of my top 5 albums of all time.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
I still really like their CD's and listen to them, but due to their underwhelming live performance, no longer have them as "suggested hip hop".  I saw them at Tweeter down in Tinley Park though, which is a spacious facility to say the least.  I bet if I saw them again in a more intimate setting like a club or something, it would be a different story.

Yeah I saw them there too and I think Outkast was there too. I am surprised you say it sucked, I have heard from a lot of people that they do a great show. The one I saw was pretty good, but the tweeter sucked and they were rushed through the entire performance. I actually met Chali 2na because he went through the crowd after their show. J5 is pretty good.

If you want to listen to more underground hip hop try Cannibal Ox or MF Doom. Blackstar (Mos Def & Talib) is pretty good too.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Come on guys, your just ignorant to what a good "Brazilian Ass Shaker" sounds like.

Oh, and for real....if you want good hip hop, listen to Common (especially older stuff), Nas (especially older stuff), and Talib Kweli.  That is some good stuff, mixes smooth lyrics and delivery with solid beats.

Common is great. BE was probably my favorite album last year. Not his best though as some think.

in response to kid gleason i think it was...

albums to get:

1)the aforementioned paid in full - Eric B. and Rakim

2)Madvillain - Madvillainy

3)Gza - Liquid Swords

4) Nas - Illmatic

5) Aesop Rock - Labor Days

6) Wutang Clan - 36 Chambers

7) A tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory

8) Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

9) Saul Williams- Selftitled (a bit more spoken word with jazz beats but i love it)

10) Clipse - We got it 4 cheap mixtape

FOr the record the order is not really an order i just did that out of habit

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 02:32 AM)

albums to get:

3)Gza - Liquid Swords

4) Nas - Illmatic

9) Saul Williams- Selftitled (a bit more spoken word with jazz beats but i love it)

I think Wu and Gza might be too much to start on, ya gotta eeeeeeeeeeeease people into hip hop. :P

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)

albums to get:

3)Gza - Liquid Swords

4) Nas - Illmatic

Well done!! That's some GREAT stuff right there, also add 'Lord Willin" to the Clipse list, I am literally a fan of every song in that CD. Same goes for ANY CD ever done by Nas and Eric B. and Rakim.

I am SO far behind when it comes to hip-hop.

At the risk of sounding like an old man, I haven't heard too much newer stuff that catches my ear.

For me, it's all about DeLaSoul, Public Enemy, Ice-T ( I LOVE "O.G." ) and to a lesser extent KRS-One.

My guilty rap pleasure was 3rd Bass.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

At the risk of sounding like an old man, I haven't heard too much newer stuff that catches my ear.

For me, it's all about DeLaSoul, Public Enemy, Ice-T ( I LOVE "O.G." ) and to a lesser extent KRS-One.

Well, I am getting the Rakim recommendation from everybody, and that CD is from, what '87? It also looks like most of the recommendations are older. I am guessing like anything, the "must have" stuff really seems to be older.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)

DeLaSoul for alright for a minute, but they got kinda soft.

Ice T gets the best album cover votes for sure. ;)

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 02:45 PM)
Well, I am getting the Rakim recommendation from everybody, and that CD is from, what '87? It also looks like most of the recommendations are older. I am guessing like anything, the "must have" stuff really seems to be older.

I recommended stuff that is a good starting point to kinda wet your feet with. It's kinda like starting someone on Chuck Berry instead of the Velvet Underground. In hip-hop there is more recent stuff worth owning though.