"Vince Young will be a 2nd day pick"

Yeah, on that "Friday Football" garbage on ESPNEWS (which I was only watching because I was at home sick as a dog), Merril Hoge said "once people see the tape on Vince Young, he will fall and fall fast.....and come April, be a 4th round, 2nd day pick". Afterwards, he had a 10 minute discussion on it too, so he was obviously serious.

Comments? :headshake :rolly

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 07:57 AM)
Yeah, on that "Friday Football" garbage on ESPNEWS (which I was only watching because I was at home sick as a dog), Merril Hoge said "once people see the tape on Vince Young, he will fall and fall fast.....and come April, be a 4th round, 2nd day pick".  Afterwards, he had a 10 minute discussion on it too, so he was obviously serious.

Comments?  :headshake  :rolly

Young won't drop that much, but Hoge knows the game pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if Young wound up being a guy who should have been a 4th round pick.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:02 AM)
Young won't drop that much, but Hoge knows the game pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised if Young wound up being a guy who should have been a 4th round pick.

Well of course he could end up that way, but to say he will actually be a 4th round pick is obnoxious. No surprise from Hoge though, I guess all those concusions have gotten to him over the years. Young is a lock top 10 pick (more likely top 5), no matter how much he pisses and moans about it.

Hoge really isn't on ESPN for his analytical gifts. He's a guy that is there to argue with Ron Jawarski, and to stir up controversy with his predictions. For as much film as Ron and Hoge are supposed to watch, I was suprised how horrendous their NFL picks were. So you can take his views with a grain of salt, even if he did play for the Steelers most of his career and finished with the Bears :-).

ill bet cutler goes ahead of young, i dont think young will drop to second round, or even out of the top 10. but really young was a late first round pick before the rose bowl, and now people say he should go #1 overall, which is ridiculous. im guessin lienart goes to teh saints, cutler to the titans and young will go to the lions at 9

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
Young won't fall that much because of his name and running abilities, but I do agree that he won't be have more than second day talent in the NFL.

I agree that might be true. If Hoge had said that, I wouldn't have posted this. But to say that Young will ACTUALLY BE PICKED on the 2nd day is the dumbest comment I think I've ever heard about any sports draft.

I think that by the end you will see serious consideration for Young to be #1 or #2 over all.

I dont care what Hoge says, there is no player in the draft that could have a more dominant impact in the NFL.

That is not to say he 100% will, but that is how he projects.

What did Hoge say about Cutler and Leinart?

Hope he said Cutler is a day 2 as well.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:37 PM)
I think that by the end you will see serious consideration for Young to be #1 or #2 over all.

I dont care what Hoge says, there is no player in the draft that could have a more dominant impact in the NFL.

That is not to say he 100% will, but that is how he projects.

What did Hoge say about Cutler and Leinart?

Hope he said Cutler is a day 2 as well.

I turned the show off as soon as he proved how much of a f*** he is with his comments about Young, so I don't know what he said about anybody else.

:)

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
ill bet cutler goes ahead of young, i dont think young will drop to second round, or even out of the top 10. but really young was a late first round pick before the rose bowl, and now people say he should go #1 overall, which is ridiculous. im guessin lienart goes to teh saints, cutler to the titans and young will go to the lions at 9

Young was projected top 10 before the Rose Bowl. Mel Kiper has repeatedly said that and he's the best when it comes to drafts(one of the only things ESPN does well). And Young won't make it past the Jets at 4 if he's there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Jay Cutler is the next Tim Couch.....star QB from a traditional lightweight SEC football school who turns out to be an NFL bust, but becomes a top 10 pick (although Couch was #1 of course) because he padded his stats as the only player on his team.

This is how I feel about Cutler as well. I do think he will be a bit better than Couch(as he'll be able to stay in the NFL), but he won't be much.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:26 PM)
I think Mike Vick (who I think is overrated, unless of course, you're into Madden 06) shows that you need to be able to pass, and the running aspect isn't terribly important. Let's see if he's actually figured out how to pass.

Vick has won games in the NFL with his legs, has he not? Vick gets a lot of hate for not being able to pass as well as he should, but as long as he can run, none of that junk matters unless you're a fantasy football guru. And as someone said before, Vick's numbers blow out Steve Young's numbers in the same point of their careers so far.

Hmm, I just looked it up and I'll shut up. They do better when he has a lower passing rating, at least in 05.

As far as Vince Young's passing, I want to see him do it again and see if he really has it figured out.

Do it again?

You want him to lead to NCAA in Passer Rating one more time, then you'll be convinced.. Ok.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)
He's a top 10 pick, even if he does worse at the combines than a defensive tackle.

hoge also said last year that Andre Johnson is the best receiver in football and he picked the Texans to beat the Chiefs on Sunday night football. He's full of s***

2 of the 3 analysts (Kiper being the only dissenter) at the senior bowl said Young was the #1 qb in the draft.

Kiper put Young second.

Also they said Fischer last year when scouting Benson could not take his eyes off Young. Which is remarkable since Young this year and last year is shocking. So if he liked him last year, he must love his progression.

Leinart is the lefty Ken Dorsey, although obviously he wil be drafted MUCH higher. He's just a puss arm who threw jump balls and let GREAT players do the dirty work. I feel bad for whoever gets him.

Also, the "Vince Young can't throw" myth is really funny. He has a hitch in his motion (which could be an issue) but his passing numbers, in particular last year, speak for themself.

Makes me wonder if analysts get paid off by interested NFL teams to talk down on Players they are interested in so they can nab them with a later pick.

Anyone remember Rick Pitino's smoke screen with Antoine Walker? Even though he coached him at Kentucky the year before , he talked pretty negative about him before the draft. When his team boston was up to pick, pitino and the celtics chose Walker.