Farmer threw Rooney under the bus

Harry Chappas

During the Q&A session with Farmer, Singleton, Mack and Thome someone mentioned Rooney. Farmer says, "John quit, he was offered a contract and turned it down." It was very cold no sugar coating it. This did not seem like a company line it was harsh.

Also Singleton was very impressive. Maybe the SCORE got it right, wouldn't be the first or last serving of crow for me.

Farmer and Singleton did a great job of keeping the players from saying anything questionable. It was a great session, not as good as Ozzie, KW and Hawk. All three had awesome presence and are right on. Ozzie has a future in anything he wants.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
During the Q&A session with Farmer, Singleton, Mack and Thome someone mentioned Rooney.  Farmer says, "John quit, he was offered a contract and turned it down."  It was very cold no sugar coating it.  This did not seem like a company line it was harsh.

Also Singleton was very impressive.  Maybe the SCORE got it right, wouldn't be the first or last serving of crow for me.

Farmer and Singleton did a great job of keeping the players from saying anything questionable.  It was a great session, not as good as Ozzie, KW and Hawk.  All three had awesome presence and are right on.  Ozzie has a future in anything he wants.

That is rich... it is my understanding that Farmer and Rooney BOTH agreed to play hard ball with the Sox and hold out for more money... Farmer took the first offer the Sox have him and left Rooney hanging... Farmer is all class... ahh, NO!

QUOTE(Jake @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
Too hard to understand what Ozzie is saying for him to be on radio.

It's not hard to understand if you actually listen. I've never understood why people hae such a hard time making out what he says. I can understand him just fine.

I call Bulls***. The SCORE lowballed Farmer... the Sox didn't have anything to do with the contract offered. And Rooney is right... John refused a contract. A contract that was nearly $150K LESS then he was currently making.

It didn't matter what WSCR offered Rooney, he was desperate to go to St. Louis, just like Mark Buehrle.

(Hopefully I was accurate to put that in green). But yeah, Farmer basically sold out Rooney and took the cheap-o deal so he can do the pbp all 9 innings, or that's surely what it looks like from a distance.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 04:22 PM)
(Hopefully I was accurate to put that in green).  But yeah, Farmer basically sold out Rooney and took the cheap-o deal so he can do the pbp all 9 innings, or that's surely what it looks like from a distance.

Is it possible that Farmer actually took less money to try to make it easier for the Score to pay Rooney, and Farmer's mad that JR left?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Is it possible that Farmer actually took less money to try to make it easier for the Score to pay Rooney, and Farmer's mad that JR left?

Well yes...but if Farmer thought the Score would pony up with Rooney just because they saved money on him, then he was quite ignorant to how the Score operates.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 08:27 PM)
Well yes...but if Farmer thought the Score would pony up with Rooney just because they saved money on him, then he was quite ignorant to how the Score operates.

Yeah, I mean come on, they pay a hot dog guy money for chrissakes...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 28, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
It's not hard to understand if you actually listen. I've never understood why people hae such a hard time making out what he says. I can understand him just fine.

Seconded. Its the same with my calc teacher in school (he's from Libya). If you are paying attention, its easy to understand. If you are sort of half listening/half doing something else, it'll be hard.