Favorite Classic Rock Song?

Yoda

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jan 31, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Well, almost.  :D  I agree that it is RnR perfection, but I will have to go with:

Ohh La La - Faces

20th Century Boy - T-Rex (I would choose other T-Rex songs, but I think we are looking for songs that are "familiar")

When you're dealing with Faces though, there is no such thing as a "bad choice". As long as you stick with a certain time period for T-Rex, there is also no such thing as a "bad choice".

Good choices. I love T-Rex.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
Give me 'Jailbreak' by Lizzy instead.  That riff is so crunchy.  :headbang

I'll see your Jailbreak and raise you a Cowboy Song. :cheers

That was a heck of an album.

The riff in Jailbreak sounds to me like the direct precursor to the more memorable Neal Geraldo riffs - Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Hell is For Children come immediately to mind.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:39 PM)
Hey, nothing against Phil, that song just sucks. Almost as overrated as the complete s*** song known as "Smoke On The Water".

Smoke on the Water is rightly reviled for a lot of reasons, first and foremost of course is the insipid Duh Duh Duh! guitar line that every gawddamn person thinks they have to play when they first pick up the guitar.

But as far as rock history it is memorable and important, if more than a bit tired. First, the Zappa/Mothers 1971 Montreaux fire is a seminal rock history event, and if nothing else Deep Purple did an admirable job chronicling it in song.

FIRE! Arthur Brown, in person.

Well if you'll just calmly go towards the exit, ladies and gentlemen.

Go toward the exit, calmly.

Please.

Calmly, calmly towards the exit.

Second, the Blackmore solo in the song is memorable if, again, worn. It's no Space Truckin' or Highway Star, but Blackmore was as much the mythical rock and roll guitar hero as anybody at the time.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
I'll see your Jailbreak and raise you a Cowboy Song.  :cheers

The riff in Jailbreak sounds to me like the direct precursor to the more memorable Neal Geraldo riffs - Hit Me With Your Best Shot, Hell is For Children come immediately to mind.

Good record, I agree.

Key word is PREcursor.

I'm not sure why, but when I play 'Jalibreak' in my head, I segue to 'Jesse's Girl' by Mr. soap opera guy......:ph34r:

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:53 PM)
Some people consider that the start of metal  :huh

And many consider it to being "Born To Be Wild", if for no other reason than the phrase "heavy metal" appearing in the song. I stand by it though that it is not a good song. But this is just my opinion, and no more valid than somebody claiming one of my favorite bands to being crap, as many do.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:09 AM)
And many consider it to being "Born To Be Wild", if for no other reason than the phrase "heavy metal" appearing in the song. I stand by it though that it is not a good song. But this is just my opinion, and no more valid than somebody claiming one of my favorite bands to being crap, as many do.

you're three bands are s***e, yo

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)
I'll see your Jailbreak and raise you a Cowboy Song.  :cheers

There is no shortage of great Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick songs, but I went with Boys Are Back and Surrender because they're the most well-known of their songs.

If we're talking favorite songs by classic rock artists, then I'd say Thunder and Lightning or Cold Sweat by Lizzy and Auf Wiedersehen or Baby Loves To Rock by Trick.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:42 AM)
I know I put in 2 already, but I want to nominate:

Barracuda by Heart

and

Slowride by Foghat

Magic Man is the Heart song that gets my nod. That middle guitar/synth bridge is still insanely great.

Yaka-Tak Yaka-Tak Yaka-Taka-Ta

Diddle-A-doot Diddle-A-Doot

Dun. . Dun. . Dunt Dunt!

[/mouth guitar]

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
you're three bands are s***e, yo

Which three bands? Are we talking about my three actual bands, that I was in?

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 04:20 AM)
There is no shortage of great Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick songs, but I went with Boys Are Back and Surrender because they're the most well-known of their songs.

If we're talking favorite songs by classic rock artists, then I'd say Thunder and Lightning or Cold Sweat by Lizzy and Auf Wiedersehen or Baby Loves To Rock by Trick.

For Cheap Trick, I am partial to "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School". Something about the grit in that song. I will also take all of the One On One album, which I consider one of the greatest albums ever recorded.