Favorite Classic Rock Song?

Yoda

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 05:20 AM)
There is no shortage of great Thin Lizzy and Cheap Trick songs, but I went with Boys Are Back and Surrender because they're the most well-known of their songs.

If we're talking favorite songs by classic rock artists, then I'd say Thunder and Lightning or Cold Sweat by Lizzy and Auf Wiedersehen or Baby Loves To Rock by Trick.

Lots of my durably favorite Cheap Trick is on Next Position Please - I Don't Love Here Anymore and the like - because I think Mr. Rundgren's production is quite good on that album.

I think Todd's best production, hands down, is xtc's Skylarking. Near perfect, that one.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 09:05 AM)
Lots of my durably favorite Cheap Trick is on Next Position Please - I Don't Love Here Anymore and the like - because I think Mr. Rundgren's production is quite good on that album.

I think Todd's best production, hands down, is xtc's Skylarking.  Near perfect, that one.

"Invaders Of The Heart" is amazing. The drum fills in the end kill me everytime! That tour was my first live show. :headbang

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Feb 3, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
Which three bands? Are we talking about my three actual bands, that I was in?

For Cheap Trick, I am partial to "Daddy Should Have Stayed In High School". Something about the grit in that song. I will also take all of the One On One album, which I consider one of the greatest albums ever recorded.

sorry, green.

Ridin' the Storm Out - REO Speedwagon

Feel Like Makin Love - Bad Company

Carry on Wayward Son - Kansas

Long Time - Boston

Old Time Rock n Roll- Bob Seger

Southern Cross - Crosby Stills & Nash

Walk This Way - Aerosmith

Renegade - Styx

Baba O'Riley - The Who

Roadhouse Blues - The Doors

Tush - ZZ Top

Paradise By the Dashboard Light - Meatloaf

Rock n Roll All Night - Kiss

Piece of My Heart - Janis Joplin

Slow Ride - Foghat

Low Rider - War

Love Hurts - Nazareth

Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple

Rock n Roll, Hoochie Koo - Rick Derringer

Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf

Show Me the Way - Peter Frampton

The Voice - Moody Blues

Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison

Black Water - Doobie Brothers

Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

Life's Been Good - Joe Walsh

American Woman - The Guess Who

We're an American Band - Grand Funk Railroad

The Cover of The Rolling Stone - Dr. Hook

Ballads

Beth - Kiss

Dust in the Wind - Kansas

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad - Meatloaf

Magic Power - Triumph

Notes: I intentionally left out Eric Clapton, The Beatles, Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Van Halen and Cheap Trick because there are too many to choose from. I also left out Simon & Garfunkel because I am not sure they fit this genre. Some of these songs may have already been mentioned, but I couldn't remember for sure.

These are just a few great songs/personal favorites from that era. Some may debate the validity of a song belonging in that era or some may feel a certain artist had a better song.

Edited by Rex Hudler

QUOTE(Yoda @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
Wow Rex, that’s a pretty good list, but I was only asking for two. Is it possible for you to choose two songs out of that list?

lol, i was gonna say something like that but i figured so many people already broke it...

btw, god only knows is the best and you all know it. I can't sleep until i get validation. :crying :crying

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
Do you wanna touch me?>>> I Love Rock N Roll>>> Bad Rep.

Can't really go wrong with Jett.  Not sure how much of it she wrote herself, but her music had more balls and testosterone than most music made by men.

The Runaways>>>Joan Jett

It's too difficult to choose just two songs, but here you go:

Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man

Jimi Hendrix: All Along The Watchtower

And I'll just go ahead and choose two songs from my favorite band:

Beatles: We Can Work It Out

Beatles: In My Life

And Bob Dylan too, although they're both from bootlegs:

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (Live In Manchester 1965)

Idiot Wind (NY Sessions Outtake 1974)

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
I also left out Simon & Garfunkel because I am not sure they fit this genre.  Some of these songs may have already been mentioned, but I couldn't remember

I'm not a Paul Simon fan, but "Sounds Of Silence" is a kick-ass song.

I've been getting into a lot of Dire Straits stuff recently too. They probably don't qualify because they emerged in the Disco era, but then again, Pink Floyd tracks from "The Wall" should qualify as classic rock, so I'll mention this absolutely phenomenal track:

The Sultans Of Swing :headbang

Subterranean Homesick Blues / Bob Dylan

"Isis" is my all-time favorite Dylan tune, but if you want to rock, go Subterranean or 115th Dream.

Making Time / Creation

Rent Rushmore and watch the opening Yearbook sequence if you don't know what I'm talking about.

{edited down to two}

Edited by Drew

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
I'm not a Paul Simon fan, but "Sounds Of Silence" is a kick-ass song.

I've been getting into a lot of Dire Straits stuff recently too.  They probably don't qualify because they emerged in the Disco era, but then again, Pink Floyd tracks from "The Wall" should qualify as classic rock, so I'll mention this absolutely phenomenal track:

The Sultans Of Swing  :headbang

Dire Straits came and went so fast I don't think anyone really noticed their talents.

Simon and Garfunkel ave the greatest harmonies I've ever heard. Many times it is impossible for me to tell when one voice stopped and the other started.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 06:56 AM)
Dire Straits came and went so fast I don't think anyone really noticed their talents.

Simon and Garfunkel ave the greatest harmonies I've ever heard. Many times it is impossible for me to tell when one voice stopped and the other started.

The B side of the "Brothers in Arms" album was great! The A side had Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life, etc .... But I always felt the flip side was much better.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Feb 6, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
It's too difficult to choose just two songs, but here you go:

Rolling Stones: Street Fighting Man

Jimi Hendrix: All Along The Watchtower

And I'll just go ahead and choose two songs from my favorite band:

Beatles: We Can Work It Out

Beatles: In My Life

And Bob Dylan too, although they're both from bootlegs:

Don't Think Twice, It's Alright (Live In Manchester 1965)

Idiot Wind (NY Sessions Outtake 1974)

I don't know if you've heard the Mike Ness cover of this song, but it's pretty badass.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 7, 2006 -> 06:59 AM)
The B side of the "Brothers in Arms" album was great!  The A side had Money For Nothing, Walk Of Life, etc .... But I always felt the flip side was much better.

Crap, damn, that's like 6 or 7 times we've agreed.

I was doing a rock bar dj thing when that came out, I had to play the A stuff but would be listening to the B side in my headphones. Come to think of that, I did an aweful lot of that while working there. In could have been worse, my buddies who were doing dance clubs and weddings were spinning Brick House and Celebration on their 12s :D