I need baseball playing advice

I want to try out for my junior college baseball team next fall.

I want to be a pitcher, as I throw some wicked breaking pitches.

I need to speed up my pitches, and my fastball, as I only throw about 50-55 mph

and my breaking pitches are in the 40-45 mph range.

I need to get my fastball into the low 70s in order to make the team.

I never played baseball in high school, and learned how to throw my pitches from looking up how to throw them on google. The guys on the team were impressed with my breaking pitches, especially the movement. I am wondering if it is even possible to get my fastball to gain 20 mph and breaking pitches 10-15 mph by september or october. I think it may be unrealistic, if not impossible to do this.

I need your input.

thanks.

Wow, I don't think it is possible to add 20 mph on a fastball in one summer and a spring but if you long toss every day, you might get up there. I'd recommend some pitching drills to enhance arm strength such as pitching off your knee or pitching with your legs spread open and planted parallel to your shoulders. You might want to do some endurance and strength excercises as well. Good luck, this will be a challenging task.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is just about impossible to add 20 mph to a fastball let alone 15 to a breaking ball. It's much easier to lose the velocity than gain it. Maybe you can try a different position? Second basemen don't need much of an arm and if you're a big efty try first base.

Don't ever give up if this is your dream.

Most are correct in telling you that it will be very difficult to add 20 MPH to your fastball, but I think it is very possible for where you are at right now. 20 MPH added to a 50 thrower is alot different from a 70 thrower. As a former College Pitcher I would stress that you need to get into the weight room. I am in no way trying to be mean, but if you are only throwing 50-55 MPH, you simply aren't strong enough. Work your arms, legs, chest... hell work everything. How are you made up (height/weight)? As a young guy... assuming you are like 18-20, it isn't too late... but its all on you. You have to get real serious about lifting if you are serious about wanting to pitch at any level from here on out.

Best of luck to you, and if you ever need any advice or questions answered please feel free to PM me.

Best of luck man... Now Get to the gym.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Feb 2, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)
I want to try out for my junior college baseball team next fall.

I want to be a pitcher, as I throw some wicked breaking pitches.

I need to speed up my pitches, and my fastball, as I only throw about 50-55 mph

and my breaking pitches are in the 40-45 mph range.

I need to get my fastball into the low 70s in order to make the team.

I never played baseball in high school, and learned how to throw my pitches from looking up how to throw them on google. The guys on the team were impressed with my breaking pitches, especially the movement. I am wondering if it is even possible to get my fastball to gain 20 mph and breaking pitches 10-15 mph by september or october. I think it may be unrealistic, if not impossible to do this.

I need your input.

thanks.

It's impossible. My suggestion? Become a knuckeball pitcher.

Also, there are plenty of leagues out there...i don't know any by name, but there are a lot of hardball leagues i'm sure you could play in.