"Tigers could be dark-horse contenders in '06"

SSH2005

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Feb 5, 2006 -> 11:24 PM)
I think Detroit will be improved but not enough to contend for a play off spot.  :gosox2:  :gosoxretro:  :gosox1:  :gosox3:  :gosox4:

agreed....they arent close to the class of white sox or indians, but if you ask me, they are quite improved, and in all honesty i think they could contend in either west divisions. rogers will help, bonderman is another year older, jones will add depth in that pen, and verlander/zumaya could be very solid. add in a whole year of shelton and polanco, and i honestly think that team is pretty solid...remind me alot of the sox of 2001-2002, 2004

Four of the players listed in the starting lineup that he is citing as above the league average in OPS also didn't qualify with enough plate appearances.

One of those, Magglio Ordoñez, has spent the last two years primarily on the DL.

Oh, and...not enough pitching.

I won't rule it out as possible like I will with the Royals, and anything can happen - Bonderman and Rogers could suddenly turn into the best 1-2 pitching combo in baseball, and Ordonez could stay healthy for a full season and show no signs of previous injuries, and Ivan Rodriguez could suddenly regain those 30 pounds he lost coming into last year, and Percival and Todd Jones could suddenly both have amazing and healthy seasons, and all their young guys could play above their heads, etc.

It will take a lot going right for the Twins to be able to challenge for that division. It would take even more going right for the Tigers to do so. Never rule anything out in baseball...but it's just not something I'd call likely.

People worry about Thome's age, but compliments to Detroit for signing the friggin oldest players they possibly could. The point of retooling is to strengthen your team to where you can be a legit division and World Series contender...Detroit is not yet at that stage, but that is exactly what they are doing at this juncture.

As of April 24th, the Tigers' two biggest offseason acquisitions will have combined ages of 79. Methinks Dombrowski needs to take a step down at some point and let someone else control of the team.

Well he pretty much qualified the entire article by saying the Tigers are a much better bet for 4th than for 1st, and that any run will take lots of luck. But that is better than the Tigers have seen the past few years.

He also said the AL Central is the toughest in baseball--high praise gentlemen! Please don't compare Perry to Mariotti, nobody, not even Dayn deserves that--well, maybe Woody Paige.

you guys do realize what a dark horse preseason pick is right? I actually think the Tigers will win about 80-84 games and really cause one of the big three teams in our divisions the title by playing them strongly. I think their rotation is exceptionally strong with Bondo leading the way and I think Kenny Rogers will do quite well

If the Detroit Tigers were to be perfectly forthright, they'd make "Thank God for the Royals!" their team slogan.

I thought that was pretty funny! Could be on the cover of their media guide if you ask me. Tought call for their marketing department...

Choice 1: "We Don't Suck"

Choice 2: "Tigers Baseball...Countdown to Red Wings Season"

Choice 3: "Ainta Gotta Urbina"

Choice 4: Yeah...let's go with "Thank God for the Royals"