Rex should retire from NFL football.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being a starting QB has nothing to do with how many games he actually starts, at least not when injuries are involved. He's been our undisputed #1 quarterback for the last two years before injuries knocked him out. Using that same logic, Brad Johnson is the Minnesota Vikings' starting quarterback because he started more games this year. Clearly Culpepper is their #1 QB, which is quite similar to our situation. Orton is not a starting QB on the other hand because the only reason he has played thus far is because of an injury to our number one quarterback. Just because Orton has started more games doesn't mean that he is the better quarterback, that he is currently #1 on our depth chart, or that he will be the starter going into next season. In fact, none of those are the case.

Ok I get you now. Even though Rex will end his career never having started more than 3 games in any NFL season he has been a starting QB in the NFL. Gotcha. By the way Culpepper has proven he is an NFL starter since he has played many seasons starting 14, 15, 16 regular season games. Grossman has not, and I will never acknowledge he is an NFL starting QB until he does, and I certainly wont hold my breath on that ever happening, in fact I would bet money it never does, and already have with somebody.

Um I think you just argued against yourself there.

Starters dont love their positions due to injury, which is why Grossman came back and had his position waiting for him.  They were both healthy going into the playoffs, Rex started.  The GM just said he was the starter going into the year.  You, my friend, need a nap or a juice box or something.

Starters at all positions lose their jobs to injury in the NFL. The GM said he was starter going into training camp, not the regular season, and also talked about how rookies like Orton play alot better in their 2nd and 3rd year. I already know what the GM was saying, Orton is starter next year, the funny thing is I bet none of you acknowledge I knew that all along when it happens and will just say I was lucky. In fact it will be that I knew all along.

Tell me why Orton was removed as the starter, and Grossman was inserted as a Starter.  If the plan was to continue with Orton as the starter, there was no point in taking Orton out seeing how that would hurt his progression towards becoming a starter for 2006.  So why was Orton taken out, Nostradamus?

Because Orton played his worst game and a half of the year. He hit his wall, the rookie wall rookies sometimes hit. Rex was an admirable fill-in. It does not mean he is not coming back as starter next year.

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Starters at all positions lose their jobs to injury in the NFL.  The GM said he was starter going into training camp, not the regular season, and also talked about how rookies like Orton play alot better in their 2nd and 3rd year.  I already know what the GM was saying, Orton is starter next year, the funny thing is I bet none of you acknowledge I knew that all along when it happens and will just say I was lucky.  In fact it will be that I knew all along.

Alright buddy, you got it. I am going to put your lunacy on my sig until the start of the 2006-2007 season. When Grossman starts the season as the #1 starter, as he has the past 2 seasons, you can finally STFU seeing as you havent predicted anything correctly.

You keep telling us that you predicted he wouldnt be a starter in the NFL 3 years ago, saying you knew he wasnt good enough. Using that logic, your prediction is WRONG because Rex has been the starter going into the past two seasons and only "lost" the job because he was injured for most of the past two seasons. It had nothing to do with performance, which is what you consistently indicate is the reason he wont be a #1 starter(much less a 3 or 4) in the NFL.

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
Starters at all positions lose their jobs to injury in the NFL.   The GM said he was starter going into training camp, not the regular season, and also talked about how rookies like Orton play alot better in their 2nd and 3rd year.  I already know what the GM was saying, Orton is starter next year, the funny thing is I bet none of you acknowledge I knew that all along when it happens and will just say I was lucky.   In fact it will be that I knew all along.

NFL starters typically only lose their jobs while they are hurt if the fill-in performs very well, or at least as well as the previous player did before he got hurt. Tom Brady and Larry Johnson are two prime examples. Orton didn't exactly blow anyone away with his performance.

Very few GM's are going to say that someone is their starting QB on opening day of regular season (unless they have a stud like Manning or Brady), and certainly not any team that has any semblance of a QB controversy or potential injury issues. You're basically arguing semantics and misreading what he is saying. Angelo is saying that right now Rex is the starting QB unless something happens (much like the last two years), not that he is expecting things to change in training camp. There is too much uncertainty right now to know who is going to start the first regular season game. It is possible that Orton could outperform him in camp and win the job, but in no way is he saying that he expects that to happen. It's also possible that Grossman gets hurt again, and then Orton would be the starter by default. But as of right now, Angelo is saying that Grossman is first string. There is no insinuation whatsoever that things are suddenly going to change in training camp.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
NFL starters typically only lose their jobs while they are hurt if the fill-in performs very well, or at least as well as the previous player did before he got hurt. Tom Brady and Larry Johnson are two prime examples. Orton didn't exactly blow anyone away with his performance.

Very few GM's are going to say that someone is their starting QB on opening day of regular season (unless they have a stud like Manning or Brady), and certainly not any team that has any semblance of a QB controversy. You're basically arguing semantics and misreading what he is saying. Angelo is saying that right now Rex is the starting QB unless something happens (much like the last two years), not that he is expecting things to change in training camp. There is too much uncertainty right now to know who is going to start the first regular season game. It is possible that Orton could outperform him in camp and win the job, but in no way is he saying that he expects that to happen. It's also possible that Grossman gets hurt again, and then Orton would be the starter by default. But as of right now, Angelo is saying that Grossman is first string. There is no insinuation whatsoever that things are suddenly going to change in training camp.

Just admit it. You know he is right. ;)

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
Ok I get you now.  Even though Rex will end his career never having started more than 3 games in any NFL season he has been a starting QB in the NFL.  Gotcha.  By the way Culpepper has proven he is an NFL starter since he has played many seasons starting 14, 15, 16 regular season games.  Grossman has not, and I will never acknowledge he is an NFL starting QB until he does, and I certainly wont hold my breath on that ever happening, in fact I would bet money it never does, and already have with somebody.

There's a difference between being a starting QB and being a good starting QB. You're apparently arguing for the latter and trying to use that to prove that the first isn't the case. Just because he hasn't held the job for long stretches doesn't mean he hasn't been an NFL starting QB yet, especially since the only reason he has ever temporarily lost his starting spot has been to injury. There are plenty of quarterbacks that have been starters at times and sucked, that doesn't mean that they suddenly never were a starting QB. That's a pretty unusual line of thinking.

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
  The GM said he was starter going into training camp, not the regular season, and also talked about how rookies like Orton play alot better in their 2nd and 3rd year.  I already know what the GM was saying, Orton is starter next year, the funny thing is I bet none of you acknowledge I knew that all along when it happens and will just say I was lucky.  In fact it will be that I knew all along.

So let me get this straight. In your mind, the GM saying that Grossman is the starter going into camp really means that Orton is the starter next year?

How does that even make sense to you? When an exec says the player is the starter, doesnt that usually mean he is the starter? When Ozzie and KW say Konerko is the starting 1B going into spring training, but that Thome was a huge pickup for backup at 1b, does that mean Thome is starting?

I blame this thread on Crazyman's parents.

let's see if I can attempt to end this ... where did Orton's QB Rating rank out of the 32 starting NFL QBs this past season? or how about this: did you notice a change in philosophy on offense after Grossman came back? did it seem like they changed it to accomodate a QB who is capable of running an offense?

For those just joining us, this is the asinine comment that started it all:

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 08:25 AM)
Rex should really retire from NFL football.   He is not good enough to be an NFL QB and we see that with his inactivity in the NFL so far.   He has started only 6 regular season games in 3 years.   He has even lost his starting job to the lowly pathetic Kyle Orton. He has no future in the NFL and should head to NFL Europe or the CFL before his stock falls too low they dont want him.

From that extreme came this nugget:

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
I know he was injured but even when he was ready after several weeks of practice and reps to be starter again, he only started 2 of 5 games including his playoff start.   Orton started 2, with Rex coming in on 1 of them, then Rex 1, then Orton 1, then the playoff game Rex started.   So he started the minority of the games even when he was ready to start again according to the coaches.   Plus he only got to start since Orton lost the job with a horrable game and a half.

Plus the GM has basicaly gauranteed Orton is the starting QB next year in a recent interview, so the writing is on the wall.   Rex has never been a starting QB in the NFL and never will be, his stock is high enough right now he should bite the bullet and become a starting regular in another top league like the CFL or NFL Europe rather than drop to a #3 or #4 QB in a few years in the NFL, wishing he had done something else.

Then we got this topper:

QUOTE(crazyman26 @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 01:22 PM)
I actually gauranteed 3 years ago when Grossman first came to Chicago he would never be a starting QB.   So far I have been right but people tell me I am lucky to be right.    It does not matter the reasons though, facts are facts, until he plays alot more than 2 starts in a single NFL season, he has never been a starting QB in the NFL, and I have been right since I predicted it 3 full years ago.  Next year if he does not get injured, the people who discredit my prediction of 3 years ago will have run out of excuses I believe, since he will be on the bench behind Orton and no injury there as an excuse.    They will have to concede I was right all along that Grossman would never be a starting QB in the NFL. 

Plus too many more to mention.

So to recap...Here are crazyman26's main points:

Rex injury was not as severe as we thought, thus he could have played weeks before.

Jerry Angelo is on record saying Kyle Orton is the starter in 2006, even though he said Rex is the starter.

Rex Grossman has never been a starting QB and will never start a NFL game again, thus he should play for the CFL.

Crazyman26's "friends" are always amazed how right he is 100% of the time and we will be too.

Everyone caught up?...and ACTION!

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)

Rex injury was not as severe as we thought, thus he could have played weeks before.

Jerry Angelo is on record saying Kyle Orton is the starter in 2006, even though he said Rex is the starter.

Rex Grossman has never been a starting QB and will never start a NFL game again, thus he should play for the CFL.

Crazyman26's "friends" are always amazed how right he is 100% of the time and we will be too.

LOL! nice recap, Dan Roan!

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)

This is just too damn funny, especially the part about his "friends". :lol:

I'd imagine that his friends are knuckleheads by default if they hang out with this guy. Either that, or they keep asking him to come around so that they can have someone to rip on. There's only so many times that you can watch Chappelle Show reruns. You have to get your comedy from somewhere, and "crazyman" will do.

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 10, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
For those just joining us, this is the asinine comment that started it all:

From that extreme came this nugget:

Then we got this topper:

Plus too many more to mention.

I've learned that he doesn't know how to spell 'guaranteed', and doesn't know what he's talking about.

Thanks for the recap!