First-grader is killed as he exits school bus

Goldmember

First-grader is killed as he exits school bus in hit-and-run case

By Steve Giegerich and Joel Currier

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

A 6-year-old St. Louis boy was killed when he was struck by a late model pickup as he crossed the street after stepping off his school bus Friday afternoon. The driver of the truck fled the scene.

Police identified the victim as Aaron Woodson of the 4100 block of Cook Street, a first-grader at the city's Cole Elementary School.

The fatality occurred as Aaron made his way across Whittier Street a half-block north of Page Boulevard.

Samuel Conner, a Cole second-grader, witnessed the accident after he got off the bus that dropped off the victim.

"The car just kept on going and (the victim) went up the street a little bit. His head was bleeding and his shoes fell off. His body was crooked; his leg didn't look right," Samuel said.

Police said the bus driver, employed by Laidlaw Education Services, was observing all proper safety procedures at the time of the accident.

St. Louis police, summoned to the scene at 3:55 p.m., said the truck sped west on Page Boulevard after striking the child.

The vehicle, a late-model black Ford F-150, was later recovered at the intersection of Annie Malone Drive and North Market Street, about half a mile from where the boy was killed. Police said the driver wasn't the owner of the truck, but that it was not stolen. Police were searching for the suspect Friday night.

As neighborhood parents and children watched from behind a strand of yellow crime scene tape, police brought Aaron's mother to the accident site about an hour after the incident to identify her son's body.

As darkness fell, St. Louis School Superintendent Creg Williams arrived at the scene. He said the district would dispatch a crisis intervention team to Cole School on Monday. Cole students are currently attending classes at Cupples Elementary, shuttered during the 2004 school closings, while air conditioning is installed at their school.

Family members crowded the porch of the family home Friday night, sharing memories of Aaron over a takeout meal from Church's Chicken. (wtf?) "We're trying to keep our spirits up," said his mother, Gloria Woodson, 43.

Aaron, second youngest of 11 brothers and sisters, was a happy, outgoing child who liked to wrestle and play basketball and football, his mother said. He loved Spiderman and the Power Rangers.

"It's hard to believe," she said. "We're trying to hold up as best we can. He's going to be truly missed."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...ED?OpenDocument

(wtf?) was of course added by me. why in the hell would you write that in the story? :bang

very sad story. that person needs to rot in jail. hopefully people see the story and use it as an example to their kids to be that much more careful...

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 12:59 PM)

(wtf?) was of course added by me. why in the hell would you write that in the story?  :bang

very sad story. that person needs to rot in jail. hopefully people see the story and use it as an example to their kids to be that much more careful...

I think they need to make it a pretty severe traffic violation to pass a bus that is dropping off children, something in the neighborhood of aggravated reckless driving. People just dont understand the rules of the road anymore, its just a joke to so many people to actually follow speed limits and procedures. Personally, I get super paranoid if I start to go 10 MPH faster than the speed limit, and generally I am the one who is getting yelled at for going the speed limit.

That almost happened to me once..... while it was kind of stupid when I went to highschool it was much more convienient to walk behind the bus than in front of it so the 3-5 people would always walk behind the bus...... 1 day a car turned and decided since she saw no kids to speed down even though the bus had its stop sign out......A couple more inches and I would of been in the emergency room. Needless to say I always walked in front of the bus after that.

Also damn those people had 11 kids..... a little birth control helps :banghead

Ugh . . . I stopped reading after the 5th paragraph. Reading about these kinds of incidents (mostly when it happens to kids) is heartbreaking. A little boy who just got off from school and doesn’t even get to his house. :headshake

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)

(wtf?) was of course added by me. why in the hell would you write that in the story?  :bang

It is suppose to humanize the story, help the reader to make a connection. For lack of a better word or phrase, this is a human interest story as much as a crime story and one thing the reporter should do is make than connection. This was not a good example, I think the reporter fumbled, but that's the reason.

It's the difference between reading the police report and reading a newspaper account.

I thought maybe there was some connection between Church's Chicken and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Instead, it turns out Church's Chicken (and Caribou Coffee) is owned by Arcapita, formerly known as the First Islamic Investment Bank. I didn't even know there were still Church's Chickens around, I haven't seen one in at least 10 years.

Sorry to hear about the kid though. I just wish there was some better way of making drivers stop than flashing red lights and a little stop arm.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
I thought maybe there was some connection between Church's Chicken and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Instead, it turns out Church's Chicken (and Caribou Coffee) is owned by Arcapita, formerly known as the First Islamic Investment Bank. I didn't even know there were still Church's Chickens around, I haven't seen one in at least 10 years.

There are a bunch of them out here. A bunch more downtown.

QUOTE(Goldmember @ Feb 11, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)

Because Church's Chicken good God Damnit.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)

Sorry to hear about the kid though. I just wish there was some better way of making drivers stop than flashing red lights and a little stop arm.

There are a bunch on the southside. Where have you been the last 10 years?

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)

Well they've started putting those long arms that swing out on the front of the busses so the kids are forced to walk farther around and the driver can see them better.

Maybe they'll start putting the same thing on the sides of the busses?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
There are a bunch on the southside. Where have you been the last 10 years?

The suburbs I guess, where we are not lucky enough to have such things as Muslim Fried Chicken. I think there's still a Brown's Chicken or two around that I know of and maybe a Popeye's.