RP : C. Cordero, B. Jenks, J. Rincon.

What do you rate it? Thanks.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 18, 2006 -> 09:14 AM)
You got Barmes on the bench but Reyes starting?  Barmes plays in Coors, which will bolster his stats, especially hitting in front of Helton.

At this point I'd say that Reyes is going to be a much more productive player than Barmes this year. Reyes is going to hit .280, 10 HR, 100 R, 60 RBI, 60 SB. Barmes on the other hand is comming off a surious injury which forced him to miss a lot of the year last season, we don't really know what kind of player he is. He started off the year incredibly hot hitting around .380 for the first part of the year then he tapered off big time after he fell down the stairs.

Reyes is better bet, I don't see how you can put Barmes ahead of him.

I'm not overly thrilled with the team. I personally don't surport drafting a catcher early, especially Martinez. He just doesn't give you the same production as other high picks. It was one thing when Piazza was a monster, but Martinez is probably going to produce something like 80-20-90-.300. That's just not worth a pick in the first 4 rounds. He's almost certainly going to finish out of the top 100 rated players, and probably won't be much better than most other catchers.

Ortiz and Weeks were solid picks. Pods and Reyes give you good speed, although I probably wouldn't have drafted both of them. They don't give you enough stats in other areas. Your bench and other starters are pretty good. Your starting pitchers are pretty high risk. Harden is a stud, Garcia is fairly safe. Outside of that it's a lot of high risk, high reward guys. The closers are fairly solid. You definitely need to add some more power.

In the future, I'd avoid taking a catcher so early, try to avoid the steals only type guys (or draft only one of them at most), and mix in another safe pitcher or two with the higher ceiling guys.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Thanks for the input.

It was quite a weird league im guesing, alot of players in it took starting pitching in first 1-5 rounds. This one guy had 4 starting pitchers as his first picks. I was hoping the draft wud be pretty normal and id be able to get some more "safe" pitchers in later rounds like was predicted by yahoo expert (in the mock draft). I just had another draft and it was much more easier to get late pitching then it was in this draft.

I also don't like the tandom of reyes + podsednik, but i also got wilkerson/dye to take pods spot, and barmes to take reyes spot if i need production insted of speed ;).

Thanks for the input.

And btw I just drafted : Vladdy guerro, Jason Bay, Ichiro, Berkman, and J. Gomes in my outfield/util in a 12 team league :P. lol. I think thats dam good for my outfield ;).

Here's my teams. Gimme Input. I would've created a new thread, but I think we should just make this a big "judge my fantasy team" superthread.

Team 1:

C-Jason Varitek, AJ Pierzynski

1B-David Ortiz, Lance Berkman, Chase Utley

2B-Chase Utley, Jose Vidro

3B-Adrian Beltre

SS-Juan Uribe

OF-Lance Berkman, Magglio Ordonez, Torii Hunter, Preston Wilson, Craig Monroe

SP-Carlos Zambrano, Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, Bartolo Colon, Freddy Garcia, Chris Young, Carl Pavano

RP-Bobby Jenks, Scott Shields

Team 2:

C-Ivan Rodriguez

1B-Lance Berkman, Paul Konerko

2B-Placido Polanco, Jose Vidro

3B-Nomar Garciaparra, Placido Polanco

SS-Juan Uribe, Nomar Garciaparra

OF-Jose Guillen, David Delluci, Manny Ramirez, Magglio Ordonez, Barry Bonds

SP-Roy Halladay, Jake Peavy, Andy Pettite, Tim Hudson, Chris Young, Carl Pavano

RP-Chad Cordero, Bobby Jenks, Eric Gagne

Team 3:

C-AJ Pierzynski

1B-Lance Berkman

2B-Luis Castillo, Jose Vidro, Bill Hall

3B-David Wright, Aramis Ramirez, Bill Hall

SS-Juan Uribe, Bill Hall

OF-Barry Bonds, Magglio Ordonez, Jermaine Dye, Austin Kearns, Lance Berkman

SP-Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, Freddy Garcia, Livan Hernandez, Chris Young, Carl Pavano

RP-Eric Gagne, Huston Street, Bobby Jenks

Thoughts??

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Here's my teams. Gimme Input. I would've created a new thread, but I think we should just make this a big "judge my fantasy team" superthread.

Thoughts??

I like your second team, vidro should be a good pick

also bonds is a nice pick for team three he should be healthy and play well

seems to me you did a good job on each team

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Like your teams, the only thing is that if Halladay goes down, your in trouble with ALL your teams. You have Berkman,Jenks, Ordonez,Uribe,Chirs Young, and Carl Pavano on all 3 teams. If two or three of those guys have bad seasons or get hurt, you really hurt all 3 teams.

Well I don't think Halladay's going to go down this year as well as Berkman, Jenks, Ordonez, or Uribe. Pavano is a question mark. Young will benefit from that nice big ballpark in San Diego. I like Uribe's protection in the lineup and there really wasn't any other available SS.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)

Thoughts??

The first team is pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of the left side of your infield, but that could definitely work out for you. I like your outfield picks, and you're got a solid starting staff. Your only weaknesses seem to be speed and saves, and I don't know how easy those will be to remedy.

The second team has another really solid starting staff, only you got some closers to back it up. The outfield on that team is an absolute monster. I'd consider trading one of them for some infield help, because it looks pretty weak unless Nomar hits like he used to. I'd go for a speed guy, since that again appears to be a weak spot.

The third team seems to be your weakest at the moment. Your starting staff is easily the weakest of the teams. I think you're good enough at second and obviously third, but I'd try to add another 1B/OF by trading either Wright or Ramirez. That would give you some more flexibility while bolstering your lineup.

It seems that you like taking SP and OF early in the draft while largely avoiding speed. That can work well since most infielders and speed guys are overrated, but you still need to take a few of them to give your team more balance. On top of that, you generally want to take a top hitter over a top pitcher since the hitters are more durable and consistent, but if you can get monster starters below value, go for it. Also, on two of your teams you decided to take a catcher early. I wouldn't do that in the future. It allows you to solidify other areas, because frankly I don't think Varitek and I-Rod outproduce A.J. enough to warrant even a 3 round difference, and they usually go a lot more than 3 rounds earlier.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
The first team is pretty solid. I'm not a huge fan of the left side of your infield, but that could definitely work out for you. I like your outfield picks, and you're got a solid starting staff. Your only weaknesses seem to be speed and saves, and I don't know how easy those will be to remedy.

The second team has another really solid starting staff, only you got some closers to back it up. The outfield on that team is an absolute monster. I'd consider trading one of them for some infield help, because it looks pretty weak unless Nomar hits like he used to. I'd go for a speed guy, since that again appears to be a weak spot.

The third team seems to be your weakest at the moment. Your starting staff is easily the weakest of the teams. I think you're good enough at second and obviously third, but I'd try to add another 1B/OF by trading either Wright or Ramirez. That would give you some more flexibility while bolstering your lineup.

It seems that you like taking SP and OF early in the draft while largely avoiding speed. That can work well since most infielders and speed guys are overrated, but you still need to take a few of them to give your team more balance. On top of that, you generally want to take a top hitter over a top pitcher since the hitters are more durable and consistent, but if you can get monster starters below value, go for it. Also, on two of your teams you decided to take a catcher early. I wouldn't do that in the future. It allows you to solidify other areas, because frankly I don't think Varitek and I-Rod outproduce A.J. enough to warrant even a 3 round difference, and they usually go a lot more than 3 rounds earlier.

For the first team, Pierre's about to be dropped and I'm working on a deal for Podsednik. I'm definately going to pick up Pierre off of the waiver wire.

Second team, I'm thinking about sending Bonds and Chris Young for Scott Podsednik and Jose Contreras. You think I should do it?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:50 AM)
For the first team, Pierre's about to be dropped and I'm working on a deal for Podsednik. I'm definately going to pick up Pierre off of the waiver wire.

Second team, I'm thinking about sending Bonds and Chris Young for Scott Podsednik and Jose Contreras. You think I should do it?

Someone's dropping Pierre? That's pretty dumb. Anyways, if you get Pierre, I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get Pods. You already have some good OF's, so you don't really need to add any more. If you were still going to trade for some speed, I'd try to get a SS that can run. However, with Utley, Hunter and Pierre you don't really need to add another speedster that badly.

As for the second team, you could go that route, but I'd try to target a middle infielder personally. Even someone like Lugo would be a bit of an upgrade, so you don't really have to give up Bonds or Manny then.

Team #1

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Todd Helton

2B Robinson Cano

SS Clint Barmes

3B Arod

OF Bobby Abreu

OF Carlos Lee

OF Garret Anderson

Util Torii Hunter

BN Prince Fielder

BN Joe Crede

SP Johan Santana

SP Carlos Zambrano

RP Trevor Hoffman

RP Bobby Jenks

P Tom Gordon

P Mike Gonzalez

P Scott Shields

BN Scott Kazmir

BN Josh Beckett

Bn Bartolo Colon

What ya think?

My team lacks some steals. I went risky on some picks.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)
Team #1

C Ivan Rodriguez

1B Todd Helton

2B Robinson Cano

SS Clint Barmes

3B Arod

OF Bobby Abreu

OF Carlos Lee

OF Garret Anderson

Util Torii Hunter

BN Prince Fielder

BN Joe Crede

SP Johan Santana

SP Carlos Zambrano

RP Trevor Hoffman

RP Bobby Jenks

P Tom Gordon

P Mike Gonzalez

P Scott Shields

BN Scott Kazmir

BN Josh Beckett

Bn Bartolo Colon

What ya think?

My team lacks some steals.  I went risky on some picks.

How many teams is that league? That's pretty ridiculous to get that kind of talent, even if it's 10 teams.

The lineup is fairly solid. You've got some really productive guys with A-Rod, Helton, Abreu, and Lee. Hunter and Anderson are pretty good for 3rd and 4th OF's too. I'd look for a sleeper or two in the middle infield, that looks like a sore spot.

The pitching is pretty good too. Having Santana, Zambrano, and Colon gives you a lot of leeway, so Beckett and Kazmir are great compliments. You've also got enough to get by with the closers, although I'd let Shields go unless holds is a stat.

Overall, that's a pretty loaded team, I'd hate to be in your league. If you could find a SS or 2B that gives you another speedster, you'll be tough to stop.

8 teams

minimum innings pitched is 14, and he has added stats like walks for both hitters and pitchers, singles doubles triples, obp and slg, also shutout and cg

i might drop shields though sounds like good suggestion

Edited by ChWRoCk2

Thought I'd add mine and let people lay into my team for a change. I think this is a pretty good team (especially the lineup), although I don't play roto enough to know exactly how this one will hold up (standard 5x5).

C- Jojima

1B- Konerko, Mi. Sweeney, Tracy, Utley

2B- Utley

SS- Furcal, Barmes

3B- Wright, eventually Tracy

OF- Abreu, Tracy, Winn, Alou, Hermida

SP- Zambrano, Contreras, Hudson, Vazquez, Cain, Blanton

RP- Ryan, Isringhausen

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
8 teams

minimum innings pitched is 14, and he has added stats like walks for both hitters and pitchers, singles doubles triples, obp and slg, also shutout and cg

i might drop shields though sounds like good suggestion

That makes a little more sense then. It's a little hard to judge then since I don't typically play with less than 10 players. You still appear to have gotten steals on Santana, Abreu, Helton, and Zambrano.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
Thought I'd add mine and let people lay into my team for a change. I think this is a pretty good team (especially the lineup), although I don't play roto enough to know exactly how this one will hold up (standard 5x5).

C- Jojima

1B- Konerko, Mi. Sweeney, Tracy, Utley

2B- Utley

SS- Furcal, Barmes

3B- Wright, eventually Tracy

OF- Abreu, Tracy, Winn, Alou, Hermida

SP- Zambrano, Contreras, Hudson, Vazquez, Cain, Blanton

RP- Ryan, Isringhausen

OF could use some work, especially if Abreu continues his ways pre all-star game. I think Tracy is overrated and eventually will show that this year. Just a hunch. I like your pitching. Isringhausen is one of the most solid guys out there.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
OF could use some work, especially if Abreu continues his ways pre all-star game. I think Tracy is overrated and eventually will show that this year. Just a hunch. I like your  pitching. Isringhausen is one of the most solid guys out there.

I think you mean post All-star game. I'd be pretty happy if he gave me his pre-All-star numbers. I'm expecting about 25 homers with 30 steals and an average around .280. That's not that unreasonable (actually right around his career average as a starter), and is still pretty good. He's too good a hitter to do much worse. My only real concern with him is that he stops running, but that doesn't seem terribly likely. He had a rough half a season, everyone is bound to do it once in a while.

I'm also a little leery about Tracy, but he'll at least give me the batting average even if I don't get the 30 homers. I know Alou is an injury risk, but he hits when he's healthy. Winn isn't anything special, but he's probably good for about 15 homers and 20 steals, and hitting in front of Bonds should help a lot. I think I got a steal in Hermida, he's got enough power and speed to produce like an early round pick.

This team is a result of my strategy toward OF's. I typically draft a player at a different position as opposed to an OF if the value is similar. There are just so many more quality options than at other positions. I'm not going to pass on someone like Vlad or Manny, but I don't really think it's worth using an early pick on people like Damon or Matsui when I get get someone similar 3 or 4 rounds later. Plus I can usually find at least one credible option in FA, and I've got a high priority so I can someone that gets dropped or Delmon Young when/if the D-Rays ever realize that he's at worst their second best option at the position.

I'll throw mine out there.

C Joe Mauer

1B Paul Konerko

2B Tadahito Iguchi

3B Miguel Cabrera

SS Juan Uribe

CI Lyle Overbay

MI Carlos Guillen

LF Jason Bay

CF Willy Taveras

RF Jermaine Dye

OF Aaron Rowand

OF Mark Kotsay

UTIL Johnny Gomes

UTIL Brad Wilkerson

BN Preston Wilson

BN Joe Crede

BN A.J. Pierzynski

BN Jason Michaels

SP Roy Oswalt

SP Ben Sheets

SP Andy Pettitte

RP Huston Street

RP Neal Cotts

RP Cliff Pollitte

P Barry Zito

P Zach Duke

BN Chris Young

BN Brendan Donnelly

This was in a 10 team league, MI is middle infielder and CI is corner infielder.

Yea, I know I took a lot of White Sox. :P I think Paulie will have another 40/100 year, while I believe Iguchi will further his game hitting later in the lineup. As for Juan, I think he can be a solid #2 hitter with the protection he has in the lineup. The league doesn't take into account OBP, and he provides some solid power for a SS. I took Crede for the few months in the year he is above average, and the power he provides. AJP is a good backup at catcher, and will hit a fair amount of homeruns.

Right now, I'm trying to trade Cabrera in a deal that would bring Texiera to my team, who I would then spin for Ichiro and some other pieces. I'm also looking to add a closer, since I really only have one on my team. I've inquired about Jenks, but I think its unlikely he'll get moved.

So, any thoughts on this team that I haven't covered?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 04:17 PM)
I think you mean post All-star game. I'd be pretty happy if he gave me his pre-All-star numbers. I'm expecting about 25 homers with 30 steals and an average around .280. That's not that unreasonable (actually right around his career average as a starter), and is still pretty good. He's too good a hitter to do much worse. My only real concern with him is that he stops running, but that doesn't seem terribly likely. He had a rough half a season, everyone is bound to do it once in a while.

I'm also a little leery about Tracy, but he'll at least give me the batting average even if I don't get the 30 homers. I know Alou is an injury risk, but he hits when he's healthy. Winn isn't anything special, but he's probably good for about 15 homers and 20 steals, and hitting in front of Bonds should help a lot. I think I got a steal in Hermida, he's got enough power and speed to produce like an early round pick.

This team is a result of my strategy toward OF's. I typically draft a player at a different position as opposed to an OF if the value is similar. There are just so many more quality options than at other positions. I'm not going to pass on someone like Vlad or Manny, but I don't really think it's worth using an early pick on people like Damon or Matsui when I get get someone similar 3 or 4 rounds later. Plus I can usually find at least one credible option in FA, and I've got a high priority so I can someone that gets dropped or Delmon Young when/if the D-Rays ever realize that he's at worst their second best option at the position.

Yeah post. :bang I like Hermida and forgot to add that in my original post.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
I'll throw mine out there.

C    Joe Mauer

1B  Paul Konerko

2B  Tadahito Iguchi

3B  Miguel Cabrera

SS  Juan Uribe

CI  Lyle Overbay

MI  Carlos Guillen

LF  Jason Bay

CF  Willy Taveras

RF  Jermaine Dye

OF  Aaron Rowand

OF  Mark Kotsay

UTIL Johnny Gomes

UTIL Brad Wilkerson

BN  Preston Wilson

BN  Joe Crede

BN  A.J. Pierzynski

BN  Jason Michaels

SP  Roy Oswalt

SP  Ben Sheets

SP  Andy Pettitte

RP  Huston Street

RP  Neal Cotts

RP  Cliff Pollitte

P    Barry Zito

P    Zach Duke

BN  Chris Young

BN  Brendan Donnelly

This was in a 10 team league, MI is middle infielder and CI is corner infielder.

Yea, I know I took a lot of White Sox. :P  I think Paulie will have another 40/100 year, while I believe Iguchi will further his game hitting later in the lineup.  As for Juan, I think he can be a solid #2 hitter with the protection he has in the lineup.  The league doesn't take into account OBP, and he provides some solid power for a SS.  I took Crede for the few months in the year he is above average, and the power he provides.  AJP is a good backup at catcher, and will hit a fair amount of homeruns.

Right now, I'm trying to trade Cabrera in a deal that would bring Texiera to my team, who I would then spin for Ichiro and some other pieces.  I'm also looking to add a closer, since I really only have one on my team.  I've inquired about Jenks, but I think its unlikely he'll get moved.

So, any thoughts on this team that I haven't covered?

I definately would not trade Cabrera unless you're getting a 3B of his calibur back. There aren't that many great 3B out there. You'd be a sucker to trade him IMO.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 05:41 PM)
I definately would not trade Cabrera unless you're getting a 3B of his calibur back. There aren't that many great 3B out there. You'd be a sucker to trade him IMO.

Well, the only reason I was thinking of trading him is because the lack of RBI's he'll have this year, being on a team with virtually no offense besides himself.