Thome to bat 3rd

SSH2005

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=157840

Ozzie Guillen briefly watched Thome hit Saturday. “The one thing I liked is he tried to hit the ball to left (opposite) field,’’ Guillen said. “When you see a guy who is going to be your third hitter, you don’t want him to yank everything. He’s a professional hitter.’’

I still can't believe people thought that Dye would bat 3rd over Thome.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
Even as unconventional as Ozzie is,  this was a no-brainer.

I disagree. He loves the righty/lefty junk, I'm actually kind of surprised he did it this way. That being said, I'm happy he did, I'm just a big surprised.

I disagree.  He loves the righty/lefty junk, I'm actually kind of surprised he did it this way.  That being said, I'm happy he did, I'm just a big surprised.

But the righty/lefty junk works with Thome batting third, at least with the first four batters...

Podsednik (lefty)

Uribe / Iguchi (righty)

Thome (lefty)

Konerko (righty)

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
But the righty/lefty junk works with Thome batting third, at least with the first four batters...

Podsednik (lefty)

Uribe / Iguchi (righty)

Thome (lefty)

Konerko (righty)

I'm talking middle of the order. Ozzie has said last year he likes to break them up in the heart of the order. Whatever though, this is really a pointless argument.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 02:28 PM)
I'm talking middle of the order.  Ozzie has said last year he likes to break them up in the heart of the order.  Whatever though, this is really a pointless argument.

Except for when we were facing Santana, that's what Ozzie did most of the season last year...Everett was at least a switch hitter, so he hit lefty quite often.

Anywho...right move. The numbers back it up. And our lineup is going to be murder on pitchers next year.

Thome anxious to get going with new team

By RICK GANO, AP Sports Writer

February 19, 2006

TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) -- Jim Thome arrived early to spring training, and that's no surprise considering how eager he's been to pull on a uniform again and get back on the baseball diamond.

"Being hurt last year and having those injuries, I think it has kind of put it all in perspective for me as to how much I really appreciate the game," Thome said after a batting cage workout with his new team, the Chicago White Sox.

The 35-year-old Thome is coming off a season filled with injuries and frustration. First, a strained back, followed by season-ending surgery on his elbow in August. The left-handed power hitter with 430 career homers managed only seven last season for the Phillies.

He appeared in just 59 games during his third season in Philadelphia and was traded to the White Sox in November for outfielder Aaron Rowand.

By trading the popular Rowand, the White Sox hope they landed the powerful left-handed bat to balance out a lineup with righties Paul Konerko and World Series MVP Jermaine Dye. The concern, of course, is keeping Thome healthy.

"Obviously we've got to keep monitoring him and his playing time and how we are going to use him," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I think this will be better for him because most of the time we are going to use him as the DH. In the National League he had to play first base and that is tougher for his body."

Thome's days are long ones. Not only does he have to limber up his back and do exercises for his elbow, but after so much down time, he has knock the rust off, too.

"There is a plan every day and that's what I like," he said. "For me, it's a matter of just doing what I'm told and understanding my body and realizing that it is spring training and you also have to get ready for opening day."

Rowand was known for his gritty play, often spectacular catches in center field and his strong presence in the clubhouse on a team that won its first World Series title in 88 years.

But the addition of Thome was also a popular move. Konerko said the acquisition was a big lure in re-signing with the White Sox as a free agent.

Thome wants something that some of his new teammates will be getting in April -- a World Series ring. He played in two World Series with the Indians in 1995 and 1997, but lost both times.

"They've accomplished something I haven't," Thome said. "I've been close a couple of times, but I haven't reached that ultimate goal. At this stage of my career, it's about winning. It really is. It's all about winning that final game of the year, and they've done that." ^Notes: RHP Freddy Garcia said he lost between $80,000 and $100,000 when his SUV was stolen recently from in front of a Miami restaurant. Garcia said he had jewelry in the SUV along with personal papers like his passport and visa. He said police recovered the vehicle but not the contents inside. Garcia, who worked out Sunday, will leave the White Sox early next month to pitch for Venezuela in the World Baseball Classic. The staff will include the Twins' Johan Santana and the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano. "Not bad," Garcia said. "I don't know if we are the favorite, but we will have a good team."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-w...ov=ap&type=lgns

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/whitesox.asp?id=157840

I still can't believe people thought that Dye would bat 3rd over Thome.

Thome keeps hitting the ball to all fields and he will be my new favorite hitter. Hopefully Kong can remember what turned him into one of the most dangerous hitters in the 2nd half last year, and that was hitting to right and right center when the ball was thrown away.

If this team takes pitches, is patient at the plate and uses the entire field this offense will be dynamic.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 10:15 PM)
Yes... wow, if Thome stays healthy, just think how this offense is going to work.

A healthy Thome makes the offense better. There's no debating that. Now, if Uribe is able to hold down the 2 slot, our offense goes from being very good to great. I think only the Yankees would be better.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 19, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
A healthy Thome makes the offense better.  There's no debating that.  Now,  if Uribe is able to hold down the 2 slot,  our offense goes from being very good to great.  I think only the Yankees would be better.

And then you look at their garbage pitching staff and realize what good shape the Sox are truly in.

The best starting rotation in the majors, hands down, a top 5-10 lineup(and possibly better), in addition to a top 3 defensive squad? I can't wait for it to get started.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
Now that our lineup is tentatively set for the 2006 season:

Pods, Uribe, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Gooch, AJ, Anderson, Crede

Other than the Yankees and probably Boston who do you guys think has a better offensive team? I say we are at least #3 or 4 in the AL.

Toronto, and Seattle

I think Boston's offense is going to take a small hit this year to tell you the truth. I dont think Alex gonzalez is an upgrade over Edgar Renteria, I certainly dont think Mike Lowell is an upgrade over Bill Mueller, Coco Crisp will be good but is he better than Damon? As long as they have Ortiz and Ramirez in the middle they will be one of if not the best 3-4 hitters in the league, but I think they are going to have to rely on pitching this year more than 11-7 blowouts.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 11:42 AM)
i wouldnt they lost alot of players

all they really have is blalock tex and young, i wouldnt consider wilkerson an offensive type of player

Aside from Soriano, who exactly did they lose?

Last year, they had 7 guys with 20+ home runs, and 2 other guys with 16 and 17. Texas scored 865 runs last year for #3 in the AL, a full 75 runs better than Cleveland. Even given that Wilkerson isn't an offensive player...moving from the Nats to the ballpark @ arlington will help slightly, and they still have room for improvement with the guys who are there.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 20, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)
Now that our lineup is tentatively set for the 2006 season:

Pods, Uribe, Thome, Konerko, Dye, Gooch, AJ, Anderson, Crede

I was one of the guys who suggested Dye would be a very good choice for the #3 hole, for two reasons. First, you can't knock the 16-1 success we had once Ozzie finally put him there. Second, hitting third made Dye a more patient hitter. That slot maximized his potential. (It is the same reason Ozzie is talking about hitting Uribe #2 and moving Gooch down.)

However, heads up, I would agree that Thome, if healthy (and I'm not doubting he is) is a stronger #3 hitter. So I don't have any beef with hitting Thome third. I just don't think it is an overwhelming slam dunk.

The main additional quibble I have is having Crede hit 9th. In September, this guy was a .371 power hitter. Granted, he's gone into huge funks in the past, but if he's anything close to his post-DL self this year, he would be completely wasted in the 9 hole behind two guys who never get on base - AJ and Anderson.

If Crede can pick up where he left off, he should really be hitting 6th, where his HRs have some shot of driving in Thome, Konerko, and Dye. Otherwise his 30 (potential) HRs are most likely to be solo shots. I also don't think there is any way Gooch will hit more dingers than Crede. (If Dye hits 5th, I would agree that Gooch's hit and run skills would be better than Crede's if Dye alone is on base. But if you are going to hit Gooch 6th, Crede has to hit 8th to get some value out of his plus power.)

So my lineup, if Uribe can hold down the #2 hole, would be:

Pods, Uribe, Dye (or Thome), Konerko, Thome (or Dye), Crede, AJ, Gooch, Anderson.

At the end of the lineup, I also think it is better to run Gooch and get Anderson more fastballs to hit, or sacrifice Anderson with Gooch more likely to get on, than to waste Gooch (or Crede) hitting behind a guy most likely to have the worst OBP on the team.

Ultimately, however, I don't think it makes that much difference where guys hit. It is much more important that they hit. Uribe needs to keep doing what he did in the postseason, drawing walks. Thome needs to show his injuries are in the past. Dye needs to stay out of his early-season slump. Crede needs to be consistent. Anderson needs to make contact and try to draw his first ML walk. Pods needs to keep getting on and use his speed. Konerko needs to have another consistent year.