2006 sleepers?

iWiN4PreP

Anyone got any sleeper picks this year?

The obvious one right now is SS Clint Barmes.

J. Gomes from tampa bay, J. Franc, both can't really be considered "Sleepers" but I believe they'll have better years then expected.

Delmon Young from tampa bay could get some action.

Z. duke the pitcher could do well, same with S. Kazmir, and some relievers that could make a impact : T. Gordon, and C. Orvella (tampa bay's probable closer).

Any sleepers that you guys have on your mind?

There are a ton of them, but it also depends on your definition of sleeper. It could mean guys that drastically outperform their ratings even if they are in the 8th round, or it could be late round guys that might be studs. Since it seems like most of the ones we're saying are late draft guys, I'll give you a few from that category:

Jeremy Hermida

Kenji Jojima

Matt Cain

Kelvim Escobar

Ryan Zimmerman

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
to be honest, I was shocked how far Gagne and Bonds fell in my first draft.  I got them in the 6th and 7th rounds.

That's the other definition of sleeper, since those guys can drastically outproduce their draft spot. A couple of other guys that fit that category:

Jim Thome

Chad Tracy

Javier Vazquez

Rich Harden (typically 5th round, can be top 5 pitcher)

Curt Schilling

Add John Lackey in here too, he's got pretty good potential.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 12:11 PM)
Doesn't a sleeper cease to be a sleeper when everyone keeps talking about them?

Somewhat. Justin Morneau got so much hype last year he wasn't really a sleeper anymore, and the same is true with Felix Hernandez and Ryan Howard this year.

However, typically there is enough difference of opinion on a player that they don't shoot up the draft board just by someone mentioning them as a potential sleeper.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)
Somewhat. Justin Morneau got so much hype last year he wasn't really a sleeper anymore, and the same is true with Felix Hernandez and Ryan Howard this year.

However, typically there is enough difference of opinion on a player that they don't shoot up the draft board just by someone mentioning them as a potential sleeper.

Duke, too.

I'll throw out the Orioles pitching staff. So bad for so long, and EVERYONE'S hating on the O's in the preseason -- but there is some raw talent there. And just look at what Leo Mazzone could do w/ garbage.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 21, 2006 -> 05:52 AM)
well Nook logan isnt good so he isnt much of a sleeper  :P ... and Cano is a yankee which makes it impossible to be a sleeper.

must you reply to all my posts, nook logan is a sleeper for sure, cano is a stud in the making, lets hear your sleepers then mik

That's the other definition of sleeper, since those guys can drastically outproduce their draft spot. A couple of other guys that fit that category:

Jim Thome

Chad Tracy

Javier Vazquez

Rich Harden (typically 5th round, can be top 5 pitcher)

Curt Schilling

Todd helton also could be considered in the list? He had a rough first half last year and lit it up second half.

Eh, pitching wise - Tom Gordon? Gets a closign job for the phillies. Guess thats sorda a sleeper?

• 3 weeks later...