thinking about getting mlb extra innings

thedoctor

i don't have a dish, but my cable company offers extra innings if you have digital, which i do have.

if you've bought it, what do you think? is it worth the money, and how much does is cost for the season?

thanks in advance.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
i don't have a dish, but my cable company offers extra innings if you have digital, which i do have.

if you've bought it, what do you think? is it worth the money, and how much does is cost for the season?

thanks in advance.

I spent I think $149 on it from DirecTV last year. Worth it, but that's in large part because I picked the right year to buy it. They have a habit of not carrying a decent chunk of the Sox games broadcast over that other channel in chicago (Is it still CLTV?) because that channel has some sort of exclusive deal. So on those days, if Extra Innings isn't carrying the other team's announcers, they won't carry the game at all. They also have an obnoxious habit of carrying the big name announcers, like the guys from New York whenever we play the Yankees, regardless of the venue. That said, at least I got to see the team play.

It depends on what you want it for. Personally, I wouldn't use it all that much since I watch the Sox games above all else, limiting my chances to use it to watch other teams. If you're out of the Chicago market and can't get the Sox game however, it's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to get the games on the internet from MLB.com though. I think it's like $40 a year for the audio broadcasts and $80 a year for the video (hard for me to remember since I wasn't paying for it :P ). That works pretty well, although I think it's always the home broadcast team.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 08:43 PM)
It depends on what you want it for. Personally, I wouldn't use it all that much since I watch the Sox games above all else, limiting my chances to use it to watch other teams. If you're out of the Chicago market and can't get the Sox game however, it's worth a shot. I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to get the games on the internet from MLB.com though. I think it's like $40 a year for the audio broadcasts and $80 a year for the video (hard for me to remember since I wasn't paying for it :P ). That works pretty well, although I think it's always the home broadcast team.

this was another option i was considering.

in the past i never worried about this because even when games weren't on AM1000 came through clear as a bell out here most nights. that's not the case with 670, though, so i figured i'd better look into another option.

the mlb radio option is intriguing, and inexpensive.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
this was another option i was considering.

in the past i never worried about this because even when games weren't on AM1000 came through clear as a bell out here most nights. that's not the case with 670, though, so i figured i'd better look into another option.

the mlb radio option is intriguing, and inexpensive.

I know in Champaign I rarely had problems getting the games. WGN obviously always comes in and Comcast wasn't an issue. The only games that we didn't get were on CLTV, and occasionally there was a CSN+ game, although those usually came in on one of the local channels. I'd imagine that most of the games will be on WGN or Comcast after last year, so I'm not sure how big an issue it will be this time around.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 09:19 PM)
I know in Champaign I rarely had problems getting the games. WGN obviously always comes in and Comcast wasn't an issue. The only games that we didn't get were on CLTV, and occasionally there was a CSN+ game, although those usually came in on one of the local channels. I'd imagine that most of the games will be on WGN or Comcast after last year, so I'm not sure how big an issue it will be this time around.

out here it is pretty slim pickings in regards to sox telecasts. i usually get one game each weekend on wgn, and the occasional espn broadcast. that, and the local fox affiliate does carry all indians games, so i do get all sox-indians games.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
out here it is pretty slim pickings in regards to sox telecasts. i usually get one game each weekend on wgn, and the occasional espn broadcast. that, and the local fox affiliate does carry all indians games, so i do get all sox-indians games.

Oh, if you can't get CSN with your cable provider that does limit your access to the Sox. I'd look into whether or not you can add that channel to your plan (maybe in some extra sports package or something), since probably at least half of the Sox games will be on their. If you can get WGN and Comcast, I'd imagine that's around 80% of the games if not more.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)

thanks in advance.

I think its 119 or 129 or so for the season. Its unbelievable. I'm an out of towner so without it I wouldn't get to watch the Sox except for ESPN and WGN games. I also watch some of the other games.

Totally worth it, especially for the out of market fan.

I'd say it's definitely worth it.

I live in the Chicago market, so I already get the Sox games as it is, but it's nice turning on MLB EI after a Sox 7:00 game, and being able to watch the Athletics play, or the Dodgers, or any one of the West Coast teams.

Plus, you can usually catch the first couple innings of the Red Sox/Yankees games, as they start at 6:00 (Central) time.

Then again, it probably depends on the person. I can watch baseball all day and all night long, and I love being able to pick and choose between one of five-ten games that night.

It's also nice to keep track of certain players. For example, I try not to miss many of Felix Hernandez' starts, as, he's just a joy to watch. And I know this is a big bonus for the fantasy players (though I'm not one).

I can't live without the extra innings package. Through Cox Cable down here in OK it's costs between $130 and $140 for the season, but if you don't want to lay down the cash all at once they'll split the bill equally into 3 payments. Actually that price is based on the "early bird discount" with the regular price being $10-$20 more for the season. This will be my third or fourth year subscribing. In the past I experienced the blackouts on WCIU but last year, for whatever reason, the only games I had blacked out were those played in market (TEX and KC, TEX I just flipped to FOXSPORTS Southwest) and games played on the Fox national broadcast on Saturdays.

I'd contemplated the computer based stuff but I enjoy being able to sit back on my couch and catch the game, or being able to cook in the kitchen while watching the game. Plus I can actually see the game as opposed to watching on a small 19" monitor. The mlb radio I had never considered being I want to watch the games, but if radio suits you that would be your most economical choice.

I think it's one hell of a deal for the cost. I know that the NFL package, 16 games or whatever, is like $100 more for the season. I believe the NBA package is more expensive as well, with neither package offering nearly as many games as you get on Extra Innings.

And besides the pleasure of gettting to catch nearly every Sox game, I really enjoy getting to hear different broadcast teams from around the country. Always interesting to hear other baseball people's perspectives on your team and players. Good stuff.

I Love it and need it.

I live in florida, so its my only way to get sox games.

But even If i didnt need it for sox games, then id still use it alot since I love to watch baseball. Baseball is so great during the summer. My schedule goes something like this on some days : Wake up around 1pm/2pm, watch baseball, go to bed around midnightish, sometimes towards 1am with west coast games. Its amazing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 10:14 PM)
I think its 119 or 129 or so for the season.  Its unbelievable.  I'm an out of towner so without it I wouldn't get to watch the Sox except for ESPN and WGN games.  I also watch some of the other games.

Totally worth it, especially for the out of market fan.

is that the number of total sox brodcast or just the ones with our annoucers. First year I will be far away enough from home not to at least get the AM signal accross the lake.

I am pretty sure I am shellin out the cash to get it.....I want good enough quality that i can acctually see the ball, and I dont think that is possible with mlb.tv.

a tip for you that want to get the radio brodcasts on the internet, the last 2 years when I was in Michigan I signed up for the SI subscription to get the free radio for the whole year. I waited a day after I signed up for it then cancelled my SI order, so i got charged nothing.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Feb 27, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
is that the number of total sox brodcast or just the ones with our annoucers. First year I will be far away enough from home not to at least get the AM signal accross the lake.

I am pretty sure I am shellin out the cash to get it.....I want good enough quality that i can acctually see the ball, and I dont think that is possible with mlb.tv.

a tip for you that want to get the radio brodcasts on the internet, the last 2 years when I was in Michigan I signed up for the SI subscription to get the free radio for the whole year. I waited a day after I signed up for it then cancelled my SI order, so i got charged nothing.

You should get at least 140 Sox broadcasts. I was jsut quoting the price off the top of my head. For some reason I remembered it being cheaper than the other posters commented (well when you sign up early enough).

But last year they ended up televising almost all the games, aside from Saturday afternoon games which are blacked out (well only the Fox games of the week are).

I'd say 80 of them would be with Sox announcers and my guess would be that as defending world series champs, we should see almost all of them picked up.

If it weren't for WCIU broadcasts basically every game would be on the schedule.

I like it more than the TV broadcast on the internet because I like to sit down and watch it on the big screen in the family room. Plus I tend to record the games and watch them after I get home from school or work (since the games start up earlier on the West Coast).

Had it since I was 14 or 15 years old and it's great every year.

It's a lot better now that ESPN doesn't black out the Wed night games like they used to.

Only downfall is the WCIU games and on those hope that the other team's feed is available on the dish. Also, the rare Saturday afternoon games sometimes get me because usually our local Fox affiliate carries either the Cardinals, Cubs, Yankees or Red Sox over the Sox.

I'd still say its good for 130+ games a year, which is great.

For out of market fans, its a must have, no doubt.

I spent I think $149 on it from DirecTV last year.  Worth it, but that's in large part because I picked the right year to buy it.  They have a habit of not carrying a decent chunk of the Sox games broadcast over that other channel in chicago (Is it still CLTV?) because that channel has some sort of exclusive deal.  So on those days, if Extra Innings isn't carrying the other team's announcers, they won't carry the game at all.  They also have an obnoxious habit of carrying the big name announcers, like the guys from New York whenever we play the Yankees, regardless of the venue.  That said, at least I got to see the team play.

That's a freakin bargain, $149 you said