Preseason Baseball-White Sox v. Angels Game Thread

bjm676

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
Well, in Gload's first AB he swung at the first pitch and made an easy out.  And just now, he made a nice grab on a liner but terribly botched the throw to Broadway covering 1st base and a run scored.

Wait, so the greatest defensive 1b in history made an error?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
I'm not at all judging him by this performance. But I still wish we would've taken Carrillo.  I hope Broadway makes me eat crow,  though.

How's Carrillo been doing in ST? And yes, I wish we would have taken the local product also.

Wait, so the greatest defensive 1b in history made an error?

For all the talk about Gload's great defense at 1st base, he seems to botch a few plays that allow run(s) to score.

Man, Uribe has some power. Linedrive single off of 3B Figgins' glove.

Edited by SSH2005

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
I'm not at all judging him by this performance. But I still wish we would've taken Carrillo.  I hope Broadway makes me eat crow,  though.

I have the same feeling about Cesar. I liked him over broadway.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
How's Carrillo been doing in ST?  And yes, I wish we would have taken the local product also.

I don't know what he's doing in the spring so far. But he was ranked the Padres #1 prospect by BA. He pretty much dominated at AA last year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
I don't know what he's doing in the spring so far.  But he was ranked the Padres #1 prospect by BA.  He pretty much dominated at AA last year.

Carrillo shines: Also continuing to impress with his confident manner -- and sizzling stuff -- was right-hander Cesar Carrillo, the 2005 first-round pick in the First-Year Player Draft out of the University of Miami.

Carrillo set down all three Mariners he faced Thursday, going to a two-ball count only once while throwing only one curveball along with his fastball.

"I had good life on my fastball," Carrillo said. "I was moving it in and out. I try to throw everything off my fastball.

"It felt a lot different being in a Major League game for the first time. But after you throw that first pitch, the jitters are gone."

Carrillo, Bochy said, "looked very poised. He was throwing 90, 91 [mph], then jumped to 94 when he needed it."

Is this Broadway's usual stuff? If it is, he was a wasted pick. He is going to get killed in the majors with that stuff. a righty can't get by with an 88 mph fastball in the majors, unless he changes speeds a lot and has really good junk.(breaking balls, changeup) I haven't seen any junk, so maybe he was picked for trade bait.

Kenny, what intrigued you about this guy that made you pick him in the first round? He looks like a AAAA guy to me.

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:51 PM)
For all the talk about Gload's great defense at 1st base, he seems to botch a few plays that allow run(s) to score.

Man, Uribe has some power.  Linedrive single off of 3B Figgins' glove.

Hes not as good defensively as Konerko and Thome, so I would say hes isnt that great.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Is this Broadway's usual stuff? If it is, he was a wasted pick. He is going to get killed in the majors with that stuff. a righty can't get by with an 88 mph fastball in the majors, unless he changes speeds a lot and has really good junk.(breaking balls, changeup) I haven't seen any junk, so maybe he was picked for trade bait.

Kenny, what intrigued you about this guy that made you pick him in the first round? He looks like a AAAA guy to me.

Basically, he happened to pitch great towards the end of his season against top collegiate teams, and it boosted his stock big time.

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)

You know he hasnt even had a full season of professional baseball yet right?

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)

You are a very funny fellow.