Cactus/Grapefruit league shuffle?

Guest JimH

Interesting article in the Phoenix Business Journal:

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/sto.../06/story2.html

Says that west valley Phoenix suburb Goodyear and Casa Grande (which sits between Phoenix and Tucson) are negotiating to build facilities and get teams.

From quickman's contact at the Rangers/Royals facility in Surprise AZ, the White Sox are definitely interested in a partnership (shared facility) with the Dodgers, who are apparantly finally ready to pull out of Vero Beach FL after all these years. According to that contact, Phoenix area cities under consideration are Goodyear and Glendale.

The Indians would then move to Tucson and take the White Sox' place with the Dbacks. The White Sox lease at TEP extends to 2012 so they'd need to find a replacement team if they move to the Phoenix area.

This article indicates there could be some announcements in as soon as 2-3 months. Goodyear seems logical since they have plenty of land and recently went through the funding approval process when Arte Moreno (Angels) wanted to move from Tempe Diablo.

After having spent the last weekend in Tucson, I would not mind seeing that move. As much as I liked TEP, Tucson is not at all what I thought it would be (or maybe my expecations were too high :P ) Might be kind of cool to be closer to Phoenix in terms of tourist-type or drinking-type stuff to do when not at the ballpark. However, the green beer at O'malleys last Friday was still ice cold! :cheers

QUOTE(chisox72 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
After having spent the last weekend in Tucson, I would not mind seeing that move.  As much as I liked TEP, Tucson is not at all what I thought it would be (or maybe my expecations were too high  :P )  Might be kind of cool to be closer to Phoenix in terms of tourist-type or drinking-type stuff to do when not at the ballpark.  However, the green beer at O'malleys last Friday was still ice cold!  :cheers

Your expectations weren't too high. We were there for 7 days and drove back to Pheonix 5 of them.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 02:29 PM)
THREAD JACK:Also Jim, FYI, Michigan City has a new microbrew/restaraunt right by lighthouse place/the lake.  You'll have to come in and check it out.

Whats it called? I drive by there on the way to sister lakes all the time.

Shoreside Brewery.

Thx Mike.

A note on Tucson and these rumors ... first of all it all depends what you like. I have had a blast in Tucson for many years, there is plenty to do and see but for people who expect it to be Scottsdale, it isn't.

Next, at the earliest, any new park would be 2008 and that's assuming absolutely everything goes right. Arizona politics can often be as complex as Chicago's.

Also to be considered is the Dodger's lease in Vero Beach. I believe they are signed to play there for a while, so it will likely take some doing to get them out.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
Thx Mike.

A note on Tucson and these rumors ... first of all it all depends what you like.  I have had a blast in Tucson for many years, there is plenty to do and see but for people who expect it to be Scottsdale, it isn't.

Next, at the earliest, any new park would be 2008 and that's assuming absolutely everything goes right.  Arizona politics can often be as complex as Chicago's.

Also to be considered is the Dodger's lease in Vero Beach.  I believe they are signed to play there for a while, so it will likely take some doing to get them out.

They've been talking about this for what...? 4 years now? A few more isn't going to hurt. But I'll be happy when they are further north.

Dodgers are commited to Vero Beach for a long time but I'm sure they can get out. Attendance there is not the best, the demographics have changed since most of the old (Brooklyn) Dodger fans are gone.

I highly doubt the White Sox would partner with another AL team and I also doubt the Sox will go it alone with a new facility although anything is possible.

To further complicate matters, Florida is being very aggressive in their legistlature in terms of facility rehab money, they know full well the impact of major league baseball spring training.

Another factor to consider is two teams, not one, would have to jump ship in Florida and relocate to Arizona.

Given proximity to Arizona, two teams that make sense are the Dodgers and the Astros. The Astros used to train in Apache Junction many years ago and the last I heard is they're not thrilled with their Florida digs, though that may have changed.

Cleveland has a long history in Tucson but as of this month it appears they're ready to make a long term commitment to Winter Haven.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. It's of great interest to me since I plan to relo to Arizona for the winter at some point in the next 7-10 years.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 11:59 AM)
Interesting article in the Phoenix Business Journal:

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoenix/sto.../06/story2.html

Says that west valley Phoenix suburb Goodyear and Casa Grande (which sits between Phoenix and Tucson) are negotiating to build facilities and get teams.

From quickman's contact at the Rangers/Royals facility in Surprise AZ, the White Sox are definitely interested in a partnership (shared facility) with the Dodgers, who are apparantly finally ready to pull out of Vero Beach FL after all these years.  According to that contact, Phoenix area cities under consideration are Goodyear and Glendale.

The Indians would then move to Tucson and take the White Sox' place with the Dbacks.  The White Sox lease at TEP extends to 2012 so they'd need to find a replacement team if they move to the Phoenix area.

This article indicates there could be some announcements in as soon as 2-3 months.  Goodyear seems logical since they have plenty of land and recently went through the funding approval process when Arte Moreno (Angels) wanted to move from Tempe Diablo.

Supposedly the city of Glendale recently signed an exclusive contract with MLB to negotiate with any team. They want to build a new stadium near the new football stadium and basketball facilities (right off the 101 and the 10).

It would be sweet if the Sox moved down there and my dad would be excited as hell if the Dodgers were who they shared it with.

QUOTE(Steff @ Mar 23, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Your expectations weren't too high. We were there for 7 days and drove back to Pheonix 5 of them.

My dad and I aren't much fans of Tuscon. We go there once and than spend the rest of the time in the Phoenix area.