Duke Lacrosse Rape Allegation

southsider2k5

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I want to throw out here -- I tend to be sceptical when race is thrown out as a motivating issue. For example, when the whacko from Georgia who thinks she can ignore Capitol security cried racism. But a few things in this case made it sound likely here. And the remark about flaying only reinforces that.

It's amazing how sick a subculture can become. It's Lord of the Flies for post-pubes.

Some commenter on Deadspin (which is doing a really good job of staying on top of this story) said that the kid should be excused for his e-mail because he was "drunk and stupid" when he wrote it.

Okay, first of all, being drunk does not give you a free pass in life. If you're drunk, you are still guilty of any crimes you commit or any dumb things you do. Please note that I am not saying that the student-athlete who wrote this e-mail is guilty of any crime, just that drunkeness is not a valid alibi for anything.

Second, if this guy is stupid, stupid enough to compose this e-mail hours after the rape allegedly happened, how the hell did he get into Duke? There's probably people at different universities wondering that same thing. "How did I get rejected and this tool get accepted?"

The e-mail might be a joke, it might prove that the player who wrote it was or wasn't involved in any sordid actions, but it almost certainly is proof that something untoward happened that night. The broad light of the press needs to keep focused on this case and, if there was indeed a rape, bring those responsible to justice.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:22 AM)
like you guys don't write the same thing in your emails. I see, you are all holier than thou, right right

I was thinking to myself that when I was in college and hanging around with my crew on Friday-Sunday, my language was pretty vile and repulsive. In fact, I will admit to saying some completely ignorant stuff that you would probably never hear out of my mouth in a normal setting, but when you are with your friends and things start getting out of hand(in a good way, the party starts rolling), then the jokes become more crass and ignorant.

That being said, this kid pretty much set himself up to fall with his email/text message. If he was involved in the rape, knew about the rape, or committed the rape, then he is going to be completely vilified and hung in the court of public opinion over this, not to mention sent up to the big house. I hope, for his sake, that he knew nothing about what happened and just happened to write an ignorant thing to his buddies that happened to hit very close to home unintentionally. I really dont believe that will happen, but we will see.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:52 PM)
My bold prediction: No one involved with the rape will be convicted. Actually, I'm not convinced this case will even make it to trial.

This entire case is based upon what the DNA shows, regardless of the bulls*** both sides claim.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:57 PM)
This entire case is based upon what the DNA shows, regardless of the bulls*** both sides claim.

They'll claim it was consensual.

When you get an acquittal off a a taped rape, I have a hard time believing this will get a conviction. Especially given the possible racial motivation and the fact that she's a stripper. I would honestly be shocked if the DA manages to get a conviction. It makes me sick, but that's how I would predict this case to go.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
It has to be a joke I think. Unless this person is that sick and that stupid to send an email like that and mean it. None the less the person is stupid for even putting that in an email.

Oh come on, he was making fun off how played up the story was. Poking fun at the DNA samples and the "outrageous" acts that people are so appalled about. He obviously thinks that nothing went on, and that people are overreacting, his email expresses that maybe they should actually do something bad to warrant the attention.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)

When you get an acquittal off a a taped rape, I have a hard time believing this will get a conviction. Especially given the possible racial motivation and the fact that she's a stripper. I would honestly be shocked if the DA manages to get a conviction. It makes me sick, but that's how I would predict this case to go.

Agreed, the "rich white college students" will always beat the "dumb ass black girl stripper" in court. That's America for you, however if the DNA comes out like the DA seems to think it will, there will be a trial which will do a lot of damage to Duke's rep, regardless of how it ends up.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
Agreed, the "rich white college students" will always beat the "dumb ass black girl stripper" in court.  That's America for you, however if the DNA comes out like the DA seems to think it will, there will be a trial which will do a lot of damage to Duke's rep, regardless of how it ends up.

Great race reference.

If the party was so degrading, why did she go back into the house?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:49 PM)
Great race reference. 

If the party was so degrading, why did she go back into the house?

I guess we will find out won't we? But of course if she did go back in there totally on her own will, it's her fault if she was raped. :huh:

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
I guess we will find out won't we?  But of course if she did go back in there totally on her own will, it's her fault if she was raped.  :huh:

Hot Button! Hot Button!

QUOTE(Soxy @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:01 PM)

How if an emergency room physician and nurse who performed “rape kit” declared that allegations are consistent with their findings?

I think this is something we just need to wait for. There are so many what ifs. What if the kid wrote the email cause he was pissed the stripper accused them and could cost them their season, but didn't mean anything by it. What if there was no rape? What if there was? What does her record look like, what does theirs? Rape is a big deal (I dated a girl who was raped when she was a freshman in college, and it really messed with a girls mind), but I have also heard so many girls say they were raped when they weren't (not involving me haha).

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
How if an emergency room physician and nurse who performed “rape kit” declared that allegations are consistent with their findings?

How if you have a video tape showing the rape?

It happens. Even if they are guilty as sin they won't get convicted.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
I guess we will find out won't we?  But of course if she did go back in there totally on her own will, it's her fault if she was raped.  :huh:

Who even said that? But how many times do you leave a terrible situation, then go back to it? Come on.