Chants from KC fans--"Overrated"

beck72

From the Tribune:

"They already have lost two of three to Cleveland, whom they beat in 14 of 19 games last year, and have fallen twice to division doormat Kansas City, including a 4-3 loss Saturday that prompted chants of "overrated" from fans whose team lost 106 games last season."---------------------------

Couldn't help but notice this little tidbit tucked away in the story. This is certainly one of those "us against the world" moments that could bring the sox together. Not that the Sox are playing without motivation. These guys played with a chip on their shoulders all of last year. And have been players who have been written off or have had their talent questioned at various points in their baseball careers. So the makeup of these sox players is strong and they should battle all year.

Yet when a team is coming off a 106 loss season [and haven't even siffed .500 for years] and their fans want to mock a world series champ, the sox have to realize the entire baseball world is out to topple them. Not only do other teams want to beat them, they want to rub the sox noses in it, embarass and humiliate them. If the sox ever thought repeating would be easy [no one probably did], getting mocked by KC fans should wake them in a hurry.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

I agree with you, but we need to be patient for one more week. It is just the beginning of the season and everyone needs to shake off from spring training. If they don't shape up then it's time to say oh boy. But in my opinion I think we did better than any other night so far look Javier Vazquez pitched great yesterday at least we know that we have on decent starter, but when Cliff Polite came in he had to give up a home run to Mike Sweeney! Also it appears yesterday that the wind was kind of strong yesterday because a couple of the balls that Crede hit looked like they wanted to go out the field to be a home run, but the wind push that ball back in.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
I agree with you, but we need to be patient for one more week. It is just the beginning of the season and everyone needs to shake off from spring training. If they don't shape up then it's time to say oh boy. But in my opinion I think we did better than any other night so far look Javier Vazquez pitched great yesterday at least we know that we have on decent starter, but when Cliff Polite came in he had to give up a home run to Mike Sweeney! Also it appears yesterday that the wind was kind of strong yesterday because a couple of the balls that Crede hit looked like they wanted to go out the field to be a home run, but the wind push that ball back in.

Welcome to sox talk :gosox1:

I'm not panicking and the Sox players aren't either. I was just trying to point out that players held that "us against the world" edge last year. I'd expect something similar this year as the players stick together pretty well. The chanting should show the players very clearly that the 2006 season will be the sox vs, the baseball world. The rest of MLB is out to get the sox--even the perennial cellar dwellars. Beating the world champs can give their fans a reason to cheer and get bragging rights. the sox can certainly expect more of this as the year goes on.

Get used to it, until we get our act together. Topics to be in headlines on May 1st:

Overrated

Can't win when they don't get all the breaks and luck runs out

Too many changes in off season upset the team's chemistry

Pitching was a one year fluke

Like I've always said, people love to hate the Sox.......and it's not just Cub fans.

Based on 5 games, am I supposed to believe in a Brewers/Tigers WS and the Yankees finishing last in the East?

We'll be fine.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Interesting, you mean they actually have...fans?

They were actually pretty good fans too. When the Royals looked competitive in these games, they were really supporting them. I was impressed with them in the first two games.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
They were actually pretty good fans too.  When the Royals looked competitive in these games, they were really supporting them.  I was impressed with them in the first two games.

I'll have to agree they actually sounded like they were getting into the game.

Kansas City loves their baseball team. But they need to start winning before a lot of people want to go and see them play. Back in the 70's and 80's, they were a premeire team in the A.L. West and were always pact. Now since the playing days of George Brett, they haven't been good and they have a hard time of keeping good players. The current owner has himself and 4 of his family members on a 7 person board of directory I believe. I thought that was kind of odd. But anyways they have the right to chant that with the way we've been playing.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 03:52 PM)
But anyways they have the right to chant that with the way we've been playing.

True, but you'd think that their fans would be more concerned with putting pressure on their owners to put a winning ball club on the field rather than worrying about what the Sox are doing.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:46 AM)
They were actually pretty good fans too.  When the Royals looked competitive in these games, they were really supporting them.  I was impressed with them in the first two games.

Who's not gonna cheer when your team is playing competitive ball?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
True, but you'd think that their fans would be more concerned with putting pressure on their owners to put a winning ball club on the field rather than worrying about what the Sox are doing.

It's a brand new season, they're at .500 I believe, right now record wise they are better than us. Our team has to turn around. Will the Royals be there in the end, probably not, but right now they're in the mix just like every other team, (except the Pirates.)

QUOTE(beck72 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 07:28 AM)
Welcome to sox talk :gosox1:

I'm not panicking and the Sox players aren't either. I was just trying to point out that players held that "us against the world" edge last year. I'd expect something similar this year as the players stick together pretty well. The chanting should show the players very clearly that the 2006 season will be the sox vs, the baseball world. The rest of MLB is out to get the sox--even the perennial cellar dwellars. Beating the world champs can give their fans a reason to cheer and get bragging rights. the sox can certainly expect more of this as the year goes on.

:gosox3: Thanks for Welcoming to Sox Talk love to be a member of Sox Talk!

I agree with you that the White Sox need to get there act together because I really would hate if we have to hear ignorant fans saying things like "we beat the world champs!" Especially like Kansas City fans who can't even afford players like Johnny Damon who now plays for the New York Yankees. But I do hope that the sox start to get their act together as soon as possible before it is too late!

Wow, talk about some bruised egos. I guess that'll happen when one's team hasn't made the playoffs for the past 20 years and is in such bad shape financially that they can't afford to compete.

"Overrated" indeed. :lolhitting

Edited by WCSox