Heave the Hawk Conglomeration Thread

EvilJester99

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Personal I am waiting for the ban[inserthatedposterhere]com websites to start popping up.

we're all far too lazy to even think about doing that

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personal I am waiting for the ban[inserthatedposterhere]com websites to start popping up.

I understand the domain name www.we-love-our-soxtalk-moderators.com is still available. :bang

Off topic, but would like to share a story about buying a high school graduation gift.

My wife and I know a hostess/waitress at a local pizza place, she has waited on us for the last 2 years and she's a very nice and personable young lady. She just graduated high school and we wanted to get her a small graduation present (in addition to the 40% tips she usually gets from us LOL).

Anyway, we bought her name as a website domain, i.e. www.hername.com , got it for her for three years, with a small hosting plan, etc. We explained all the things she could do with it ... she's an artist so she can scan/display or even sell artwork, post a resume, all sorts of ideas. We figured it would get her thinking and looking toward her future, and it has. Her parents even called to thank us and said she's all excited about posting some of her drawings and paintings, and is looking into getting prints made and possibly marketing them. She's already set up an online portfolio and it makes us very happy to have helped her think about her future.

So, if you want to buy somebody a cool gift they can have all sorts of fun with, get their name as a dot com domain name thru Yahoo or Go Daddy. It's very inexpensive and hopefully they'll remember it more than a picture frame or something.

Sorry for the off track, the domain name reference made me think of the story.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
I, for one, got a kick out of it.

Fireronzook.com orginated this stuff and has yet to be challenged.

And considering they won their fight (and really had money pouring in near the end - hell they bought ad space on a plane flying over Florida games last year), that's not a bad model to emulate.

I think it's a funny website. I can't believe the uproar it has caused on here. I think that is the funniest part of all of this. The fact that they didn't identify themselves, I don't see why that is a big deal. Should we change all our names on Soxtalk to our full legal name? The anonymity of the internet is part of it's beauty and utility. Personally, I'm not a Hawk fan. I don't like "He Gone." It sounds like "Git R Done" which I also hate. But, a lot of Sox fans like Hawk and I realize and respect that. We all have our different tastes for announcers.

PS. As a player, Hawk wasn't really that good. He had one good year (1968) and 2 other years where he wasn't terrible (65 & 69). But that isn't really have any bearing on his abilities as an announcer.

Edited by SHAFTR

I think it's a funny website.  I can't believe the uproar it has caused on here.  I think that is the funniest part of all of this.  The fact that they didn't identify themselves, I don't see why that is a big deal.  Should we change all our names on Soxtalk to our full legal name?  The anonymity of the internet is part of it's beauty and utility.  Personally, I'm not a Hawk fan.  I don't like "He Gone."  It sounds like "Git R Done" which I also hate.  But, a lot of Sox fans like Hawk and I realize and respect that.  We all have our different tastes for announcers.

PS.  As a player, Hawk wasn't really that good.  He had one good year (1968) and 2 other years where he wasn't terrible (65 & 69).  But that isn't really have any bearing on his abilities as an announcer.

It's a lot different on a message board vs. a commercial site (they are or will be selling things).

They also have a "sign the petition" function. Who would sign a petition without knowing who's organizing it and what they plan to do with it?

Who would give or send money via the internet when the seller doesn't identify themselves?

In addition, they are clearly publicizing the site, and actively promoting links. Publicizing your site to the mainstream media but not having the ability (balls) to identify who you are? That is what shoots down their credibility in my book. On a message board it's different ... we aren't selling anything here, it's simply an exchange of information and opinion. We aren't actively promoting having someone lose their job and sell merchandise which encourages the same thing.

Personally, I believe the three of them are a combination of Cub fans and Sox fans who are simply looking to make a fast buck off of a prominent Chicago sports personality whom people either hold in high regard or despise.

Next, someone will set up www.firemariotti.com .

hawk til i die. cubs fans find him particularly annoying, and anyone who hates hawk secretly loves the cubs. i hate the cubs and i didnt even hate harry carry. who doesnt love a geriatrical, happy-go-lucky alcohalic (referring to carry only, of course)?

Edited by robin_ventura_eternal

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:06 PM)
I just liked the sound of a million dollar website.  Heck I might consider firesouthsider2k5'smother.com for that kind of money. :bang

I'm TM'in the idea right this minute.. :P

What does it cost to register a domain and hire a webmaster? :ph34r:

All you'd have to do is keep track of his columns and point out on your new website how often he contradicts himself.

Or, go back and read the archives of his columns and point things out, like how wrong he is or how much he flip flops.

Get a few t-shirts made up with a picture of him with a big red circle and a line drawn through his mug and sell 'em for $9.97 + S/H via Yahoo Stores. Then do coffee mugs, mouse pads, etc. You can even have them drop shipped. It's easy.

Offer Pay Pal and you can accept everything for payment.

For someone who follows sports columnists religiously, either locally or nationally, this could be a nice little money maker.

I will of course offer to consult on the entire e-commerce aspect for 10% of the monthly profits. My guess is if it's done right, you could easily pull $1000/mo. out of a little operation like this, for maybe 1 hour of work per day, once it's set up.

Edit: I'm kidding on the consulting but if someone is serious about doing this, it can be set up damn easily, for cheap.

Edited by JimH

I'll tell you what SS2K5, I will split startup costs with you and maintenance duties. This is starting to sound like a plausible idea. I wouldnt even blur my picture for it, I would get a good grinning shot with my middle finger extended.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)
I'll tell you what SS2K5, I will split startup costs with you and maintenance duties. This is starting to sound like a plausible idea. I wouldnt even blur my picture for it, I would get a good grinning shot with my middle finger extended.

It sounds great and all, but all of my extra money is going to a downpayment for a house, and doctor bills for a baby. Thanks for the offers though guys, right place wrong time for me :)

Speaking of Marriotti, was it true that in Thursday's Sun-Times on the bottom of page 2 where they make corrections on errors from previous stories, they corrected Marriotti's account of the Skiles/JR "negotiation", and the amount Guillen was going to be paid on his extension? I never looked but a couple people say its true. I wonder if the editors will be hearing from Jay's lawyers.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:15 PM)

Pfftt.. I'll fund the damn thing!! Get 'er done Mike!!!