Heave the Hawk Conglomeration Thread

EvilJester99

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Speaking of Marriotti, was it true that in Thursday's Sun-Times on the bottom of page 2 where they make corrections on errors from previous stories, they corrected Marriotti's account of the Skiles/JR "negotiation", and the amount Guillen was going to be paid on his extension? I never looked but a couple people say its true. I wonder if the editors will be hearing from Jay's lawyers.

It is true... I saw it posted around here somewhere.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robin_ventura_eternal @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
i would make sure that there arent a bunch of other people selling anti-mariotti shirts already. hes kinda famous, and a lot of people obviosly hate him, so you never know. just better to make sure.

What does it matter if they are..? It's not others that would be the concern. I'm sure Jay would try to sue for using his likeness for profit without his permission.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Pfftt.. I'll fund the damn thing!! Get 'er done Mike!!!

Now we are talking. I know we have hosting set... Hmm this could be interesting. And I KNOW we have a spokesperson in the Hawkeroo.

Interesting. Maybe we need to get some PMs going around here, to hammer out some details?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Speaking of Marriotti, was it true that in Thursday's Sun-Times on the bottom of page 2 where they make corrections on errors from previous stories, they corrected Marriotti's account of the Skiles/JR "negotiation", and the amount Guillen was going to be paid on his extension? I never looked but a couple people say its true. I wonder if the editors will be hearing from Jay's lawyers.

A Jay Mariotti column and a news story that appeared in the June 8 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times should have said that the Bulls' contract with coach Scott Skiles was agreed on at $16 million guaranteed over four years, including the option year. The Mariotti column should have said the deal was made in a telephone conversation with Bulls chairman Jerry Reinsdorf and Skiles. The Bulls' offer did not change from the day before. After that phone deal, Bulls general manager John Paxson and Reinsdorf also agreed to give Skiles a $500,000 bonus for his recent success with the team. That Mariotti column also should have said that Ozzie Guillen's two-year contract extension was for $2.5 million.

If you do it, set it up so you can comment on all the sports columnists, or at least start with Chicago. You can use the Mariotti domain name but use Mariotti merchandise as only part of the e-commerce aspect. Who's to say you can't put out t-shirts in support of Hawk for example?

Also, pick a charity and donate proceeds from everything you sell to that charity, and publicize that on the site. Even if it's a very small portion, make sure you do it. "A portion of the proceeds from each sale is donated to our friends at ... ", please support (their mission). It's a very nice feel good.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
If you do it, set it up so you can comment on all the sports columnists, or at least start with Chicago.  You can use the Mariotti domain name but use Mariotti merchandise as only part of the e-commerce aspect.  Who's to say you can't put out t-shirts in support of Hawk for example?

Also, pick a charity and donate proceeds from everything you sell to that charity, and publicize that on the site.  Even if it's a very small portion, make sure you do it.  "A portion of the proceeds from each sale is donated to our friends at ... ", please support (their mission).  It's a very nice feel good.

Ahh yes.. "A portion of the proceeds from each sale is donated to our friends at Soxtalk... " ;)

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
If you do it, set it up so you can comment on all the sports columnists, or at least start with Chicago.  You can use the Mariotti domain name but use Mariotti merchandise as only part of the e-commerce aspect.  Who's to say you can't put out t-shirts in support of Hawk for example?

Also, pick a charity and donate proceeds from everything you sell to that charity, and publicize that on the site.  Even if it's a very small portion, make sure you do it.  "A portion of the proceeds from each sale is donated to our friends at ... ", please support (their mission).  It's a very nice feel good.

Maybe the charity should be a journalism school.

What does it matter if they are..? It's not others that would be the concern. I'm sure Jay would try to sue for using his likeness for profit without his permission.

the only reason i say to check for other people is that you might not be able to succeed. if you dont care about the money and just want to test mariotti, thats another story. im just talking money.

He could try, that's for sure. Emphasis on "try". As long as the likeness used is not copyright infringed, he's public domain. Same would be true for a t shirt that talks about impeaching a public official or something like that.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
He could try, that's for sure.  Emphasis on "try".  As long as the likeness used is not copyright infringed, he's public domain.  Same would be true for a t shirt that talks about impeaching a public official or something like that.

Absoultely.. which is why I typed try. :P

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:23 PM)
He could try, that's for sure.  Emphasis on "try".  As long as the likeness used is not copyright infringed, he's public domain.  Same would be true for a t shirt that talks about impeaching a public official or something like that.

Jim, whenever you get some free time, sit down and PM or email me this all together in some detail. No rush, just when you get a chance.

Also if you are serious about seeding this Steff, we need to talk and get some details straight. I can do the legworkto get it going and keep it up to date, I have no problem with that. It also sounds like kyyle23 would be in it with me.

Let's do this.

There is a guy who makes a literal fortune every month by marketing controversial t-shirts. There is a huge niche market for controversial stuff.

This particular guy has his whole business on autopilot and makes right at $40,000 month ... profit. But the t-shirts are really ... well ... imflammatory, and piss a lot of people off.

Example: "Yeah, but what about all the GOOD things (fill in the name of a ruthless dictator) did??" He sells gobs of those every day.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Since about 2000 one would think..

I don't remember exactly when but he was either suspended or forced to take a leave of absence from the Sun-Times several years ago. I would think the fact that the paper is going to the trouble of printing a correction of his column that at the very least we have seen the last of his JR bashing for a while.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
Jim, whenever you get some free time, sit down and PM or email me this all together in some detail.  No rush, just when you get a chance.

Also if you are serious about seeding this Steff, we need to talk and get some details straight.  I can do the legworkto get it going and keep it up to date, I have no problem with that.  It also sounds like kyyle23 would be in it with me.

Let's do this.

What could the cost be.. a couple hundred bucks for a year..? Bet I could somehow tie it into a tax deduction as well...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
I don't remember exactly when but he was either suspended or forced to take a leave of absence from the Sun-Times several years ago. I would think the fact that the paper is going to the trouble of printing a correction of his column that at the very least we have seen the last of his JR bashing for a while.

He hasnt had a column in the 2 days since Skiles signed. That is strange in itself, I figured he was going to have alot to say about Jerry after the Comcast interview.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:30 PM)
What could the cost be.. a couple hundred bucks for a year..? Bet I could somehow tie it into a tax deduction as well...

Honestly I have no idea. I do know that I can get Kap to fix up something cheap for hosting and some bandwidth on that side of things. I am going to talk to Jim about the rest of it.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 02:31 PM)
Honestly I have no idea.  I do know that I can get Kap to fix up something cheap for hosting and some bandwidth on that side of things.  I am going to talk to Jim about the rest of it.

Cool. I'm in. I've been wanting to quit my job to become a stay at home mom to Ginger and Abby for a while now.. :lol:

If it's me I'd set it up via Yahoo Stores or use the Go Daddy e-commerce option. Domain names are dirt cheap, less than $10. You can get a fully integrated e-commerce site with shopping cart and everything for less than $50/mo. Even cheaper if you just use PayPal. Heck you can even buy the domain and set everything up through Pay Pal, they have website templates and the whole thing.

To see how it would work, just go to GoDaddy.com and there is a walk thru there and setting up a simple website with e-commerce capabilities. You can design the site at your own PC just doing some pointing and clicking on their templates. No need for a designer.

All sorts of ways to get free publicity. One would be to link to heavehawk.com, LOL. They are looking for links.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 10, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
Some good comes out of site that bash people

www.firejohnshoop.com

F*** these bastards, We will find out who they are....

I hate John Shoop...I remember one time we were watching a pre-game show and a fan was holding up a sign that said "ANOTHER SHOOPID PLAY"...and thus, "shoopid" has become a part of my vocabulary.