Get Back off the Ledge

Chisoxfn

Get Back off the Ledge

By Alex Bozich

Senior Writer, Soxtalk.com

It's only April. Let me repeat...It's only April.

Sure it wasn't the start we all imagined coming off of a World Series title, but let me say it again, it's only April.

I'm going to break this article down into two parts. What's gone right and what's gone wrong thus far in the season that's just a week old. Click Here for the Rest of This Story

Podsednik needs to figure himself out sooner than two weeks. Depending on the schedule, and whether Guillen implants alternatives in LF, there may be 40 AB's during such a period. I'd give him atleast half that amount before seriously assessing his health, which I believe is the key factor for his prolonged slump.

It's not merely his 1-27, but an observation of his speed--it has noticeably decreased. Podsednik isn't utilizing his strengths by elevating weak fly balls. Just think about it--he has to know exactly what made him successful last year. He can't be looking over his season numbers and thinking, "Now I AM a fast ballplayer....and last year I did have a large number of bunt singles....but I'd rather just avoid speed altogether."

It couldn't have escaped his mind. The 2005 Podsednik wouldn't have allowed himself to endure such a drought. There would have been several more drag bunts by now.

If there exists no immediate physical concern, then it's entirely mental. He would be purposely holding himself back because of a fear his groin troubles remerge. In such a case, he needs someone to slap him aside the head. Our ballclub needs a healthy Podsednik, and if he can't fulfill that need, someone needs to think assignting him onto the DL.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 11, 2006 -> 11:15 PM)
Podsednik needs to figure himself out sooner than two weeks. Depending on the schedule, and whether Guillen implants alternatives in LF, there may be 40 AB's during such a period. I'd give him atleast half that amount before seriously assessing his health, which I believe is the key factor for his prolonged slump.

It's not merely his 1-27, but an observation of his speed--it has noticeably decreased. Podsednik isn't utilizing his strengths by elevating weak fly balls. Just think about it--he has to know exactly what made him successful last year. He can't be looking over his season numbers and thinking, "Now I AM a fast ballplayer....and last year I did have a large number of bunt singles....but I'd rather just avoid speed altogether."

It couldn't have escaped his mind. The 2005 Podsednik wouldn't have allowed himself to endure such a drought. There would have been several more drag bunts by now.

If there exists no immediate physical concern, then it's entirely mental. He would be purposely holding himself back because of a fear his groin troubles remerge. In such a case, he needs someone to slap him aside the head. Our ballclub needs a healthy Podsednik, and if he can't fulfill that need, someone needs to think assignting him onto the DL.

I think it should be a bannable offense to have Liriano in your avy.