Curses?

Hello everyone I on Sox Talk! :D I need some Help! I was wondering if you guys can tell me your opinions on: If you think curses really exist in baseball and why? You see I am doing a thesis statement and like always my research and thesis statements are always about baseball! :) Now my thesis statement is that I don't think curses exist in baseball! I personally think that it is just another form of a scape goat to be a cover up for a team's mistakes. I am using the Cubs in the 2003 playoffs and 1986 Boston Red Sox!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Timoperezrulez @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
Don't the last 2 world series winners answer your question?

I already said my opinion in my thesis statement. All I need is for people just to reply to this and tell me what they think so that I can say that I conducted a survey where this many people replied. Then I would give what the majority said. :D

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
I already said my opinion in my thesis statement. All I need is for people just to reply to this and tell me what they think so that I can say that I conducted a survey where this many people replied. Then I would give what the majority said. :D

You could make a poll. :D

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
Hello everyone I on Sox Talk!  :D I need some Help! I was wondering if you guys can tell me your opinions on: If you think curses really exist in baseball and why? You see I am doing a thesis statement and like always my research and thesis statements are always about baseball!  :) Now my thesis statement is that I don't think curses exist in baseball! I personally think that it is just another form of a scape goat to be a cover up for a team's mistakes. I am using the Cubs in the 2003 playoffs and 1986 Boston Red Sox!

There are no curses in sports, its called buying into media BS.

Curses sell newspapers and ads for ESPN, not to mention all the books over the years about the Red Sox. It's all crap.

Back when I was in college I found it didn't hurt to have a snappy ending to a term paper. Consider using this. Last year during the playoffs, maybe against Boston, some Sox fans had signs and shirts that read "We don't have a curse, but we do have a Jencks."

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:14 AM)
What about the "Curse of Shoeless Joe Jackson" that Fox talked about during last year's World Series? Doesn't that count as a curse in baseball?

In my thesis statment I mentioned the Cubs curse and the Red Sox curse, and how a curse is just another cover up for a team's failure/mistake. I mentioned the Cubs 2003 playoffs against the Marlins when the Cubs had six more outs of going to the World Series. But then the Bartman incident happened, but idiotice CUB FANS forget about the errors that the team made which had to caused them to loose the lead and the game. So than the next day you see the papers of the Sun Times like Curses just because the Marlins won 9-6, which at that time was the amount of time that the Cubs hadn't won a World Series in that long.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
In my thesis statment I mentioned the Cubs curse and the Red Sox curse, and how a curse is just another cover up for a team's failure/mistake. I mentioned the Cubs 2003 playoffs against the Marlins when the Cubs had six more outs of going to the World Series. But then the Bartman incident happened, but idiotice CUB FANS forget about the errors that the team made which had to caused them to loose the lead and the game. So than the next day you see the papers of the Sun Times like Curses just because the Marlins won 9-6, which at that time was the amount of time that the Cubs hadn't won a World Series in that long.

It is all bulls***. Jack McDowell said it best in one of the World Series videos. IT was something to the effect that there was nothing cursed about the White Sox other than having a bunch of bad teams or teams not good enough to go all the way. I was kidding because Fox totally made up the whole Shoeless Joe curse in an attempt to create a story for a World Series without marquee teams to salivate over. I can't stand all the curse talk.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)

Here is a some interesting info that may help in your paper. I remember the day of the bartman game, the red sox and yanks played at fenway. During the game, there was a popout by the 1st base dugout, the red sox fans backed away. I remember the announcer praised the red sox fans for getting out of the way. Now, on the topic of game 6. Cubs fans do not realize that their beloved manager screwed them out of a trip to the world series. Lets do the short synopsis, Alou freaks out at Bartman, very mature. DUSTY SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE ENTIRE TEAM TO THE MOUND. But, he sits there playing with timmie the tooth pick, and lets prior s*** the bed, and gonzalez let a ball roll under his legs, among other thinkgs. So, there are no curses, just stupid managers, and bad teams making bad plays.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Here is a some interesting info that may help in your paper.  I remember the day of the bartman game, the red sox and yanks played at fenway.  During the game, there was a popout by the 1st base dugout, the red sox fans backed away.  I remember the announcer praised the red sox fans for getting out of the way.  Now, on the topic of game 6.  Cubs fans do not realize that their beloved manager screwed them out of a trip to the world series.  Lets do the short synopsis, Alou freaks out at Bartman, very mature.  DUSTY SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE ENTIRE TEAM TO THE MOUND.  But, he sits there playing with timmie the tooth pick, and lets prior s*** the bed, and gonzalez let a ball roll under his legs, among other thinkgs. So, there are no curses, just stupid managers, and bad teams making bad plays.

Dont forget the whole other game they had to play the next night. They couldve won that one too.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
Here is a some interesting info that may help in your paper.  I remember the day of the bartman game, the red sox and yanks played at fenway.  During the game, there was a popout by the 1st base dugout, the red sox fans backed away.  I remember the announcer praised the red sox fans for getting out of the way.  Now, on the topic of game 6.  Cubs fans do not realize that their beloved manager screwed them out of a trip to the world series.  Lets do the short synopsis, Alou freaks out at Bartman, very mature.  DUSTY SHOULD HAVE CALLED THE ENTIRE TEAM TO THE MOUND.  But, he sits there playing with timmie the tooth pick, and lets prior s*** the bed, and gonzalez let a ball roll under his legs, among other thinkgs. So, there are no curses, just stupid managers, and bad teams making bad plays.

I agree with you, Dusty was just a stupid manager because he never really uses the Bullpen at all. Now look at them Kerry and Prior are always injured. The thing I hate the most is how gullable those f***en cub fans are we're curse when it comes to our team failing! They just can't admit that they're lovable Cubbies are Chokers, Cheaters, Crybabies, and many more!

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
I alone will humbly submit that I believe curses are real in baseball.  For example, anybody born into a family of Cub fans is most certainly cursed.  :P

:fthecubs

Hey I disagree with you on that because the majority of my family members are Cub Fans and I am not cursed! I am a HUGE WHITESOX FAN! :gosox2: :gosox1: :gosox3: :gosox4: :gosoxretro:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:33 AM)
Dont forget the whole other game they had to play the next night.  They couldve won that one too.

Bartman is the biggest patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I still get pissed when I see that poor bastard mentioned in the newspaper (even if he is/was a Cubs fan). It is a clear reminder of how uneducated many supposed Cubs fans are from a baseball standpoint as well as the fact that the media will do anything to sensationalize a story to sell their product. The ball that hit Steve Bartman on the hands did not directly create a hit, rbi, error, or anything else. It was a strike, nothing more, nothing less. Further, Moises sucks as an outfielder and there is no guarantee he catches that ball. Moises was a dick for pointing at the fan and slamming his glove. Baker sucked for not recognizing his pitcher was spent. Finally, at least Moises' reaction was in the heat of the moment. Baker could have nipped the whole thing in the bud if he got up in front of the media after the game and laughed off any suggestion that the game changed because of that foul ball. Instead he said "Moises said he had it, I have to believe he would have had it" or something to that effect. That gave the story more legs than ever. Roll the whole thing into one pile of s*** and you don't have curses, you have a team full of losers and also rans who makes excuses for their shortcomings, starting with their leader, Dusty Baker.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
Bartman is the biggest patsy since Lee Harvey Oswald. I know it shouldn't bother me, but I still get pissed when I see that poor bastard mentioned in the newspaper (even if he is/was a Cubs fan). It is a clear reminder of how uneducated many supposed Cubs fans are from a baseball standpoint as well as the fact that the media will do anything to sensationalize a story to sell their product. The ball that hit Steve Bartman on the hands did not directly create a hit, rbi, error, or anything else. It was a strike, nothing more, nothing less. Further, Moises sucks as an outfielder and there is no guarantee he catches that ball. Moises was a dick for pointing at the fan and slamming his glove. Baker sucked for not recognizing his pitcher was spent. Finally, at least Moises' reaction was in the heat of the moment. Baker could have nipped the whole thing in the bud if he got up in front of the media after the game and laughed off any suggestion that the game changed because of that foul ball. Instead he said "Moises said he had it, I have to believe he would have had it" or something to that effect. That gave the story more legs than ever. Roll the whole thing into one pile of s*** and you don't have curses, you have a team full of losers and also rans who makes excuses for their shortcomings, starting with their leader, Dusty Baker.

That was better well said than anything I could imagine! :D

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Thanks. BTW, I love your disco signature. It reminds me of disco demolition night.

I actually wanted it in Black but I am trying to fix that to make it black! But the colors that come with it are Pink/Purple. I choose purple since it is the darker color and I hate seeing girl CUB FANS with PINK baseball caps! :puke

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Apr 12, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)

Very well written. I feel the same way. Just read any media dope today. They

still blame Bartman for the Cub loss. It's pathetic. Lester Munson has gone on

record as saying he wants to "strangle" him. If I had all the ink in the world

at my disposal, it would not be enough for me to express the depth of disgust

I feel for that son of a b****.