Greetings from Comerica

LVSoxFan

I just sat down here at DTW waiting to fly back to Chicago--caught the Sox vs. Tigers from 4th inning on.

Some observations:

-When I came in we were up 9-3 and then scored a couple of more. I thought we were going to ice them. Then they came all the way back, almost. Was it just me, or was Garland having one of his "big innings" circa 2004?

-Brandon then appeared to blow it but settled down. Phew.

-I don't know what it said on TV, but our Thornton was throwing HEAT. More than a few at 97, a few at 96, even one at 99! Maybe two! The Sox fan next to me was calling him "Lefty Jenks." I didn't know he threw that hard.

-Guess how much a beer is there? $8.00. Granted it's a bigger one than at the Cell but OMG.

-A brat/hot dog is $5. What are they at the cell? $3.50, right?

-The funnest part of going to a Sox game in a different city is finding the Sox fans there and then we all kind of sit together and form our cheering section. This one dude, who lived in Detroit but was a Sox fan, was LOUD and you probably heard this dude on the TV broadcast, he was that loud.

-Scotty? Is it time for triple A for a while? This is awful.

-There were two grounders to Cintron where we all joked "Uribe would have had that!" Or maybe it wasn't a joke.

-Pudge looks tiny compared to other players. Then I saw his profile on the scoreboard, listing him at 5'9". I'll bet even that's a stretch.

-Jim Thome? Holy f******* sh**!

-Iguchi's double to center was as far away as you could hit that ball in Comerica and still keep it in the park (I missed the homer).

-If you ever get a chance to check out Comerica, do it. Very nice, comfortable park. You'll see other Sox fans there. Note: Sox dugout is on 3rd base line and not first.

CORRECTION: it's on first base line and not third. Oops.

-Lastly, people in Comerica can't catch a foul ball to save their freakin' lives. There had to be at least 13 when I was there and not one was caught. LOL.

Edited by LVSoxFan

Comerica is a nice park. One of my buddies from college his dad is a STH. I got to go to a couple games there when I was in college. The outfield concourse is the best part of the stadium. I also liked how you could see Ford Field while sitting in Comerica.

The only gripe I have is all the Tigers that they have all over the stadium. It almost looks like a childrens playground. Also if I remember correctly they have a merry go round.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 13, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
-Iguchi's double to center was as far away as you could hit that ball in Comerica and still keep it in the park (I missed the homer).

I think Thome's double was further than Iguchi's, but I could be wrong :P

I've also been to Comerica, my dad and I had seats about 10 feet from where (at the time) newly signed big contract Juan Gonzalez was playing RF. Needless to say we heckled him quite a bit about the contract and him sucking. The seats were 2nd row down the 1st base line--really close to the field, good seats. Parking wasn't a problem as we were able to park for free about 2 blocks from the stadium. Overall I thought it was a good park.

Detroit is still pretty barren outside of a few blocks downtown, but at least sports wise, the city is doing a good job. Good sports town IMO.

We've been 3 times and love it.

THEWOOD I hear ya about the tigers and the playground, but it's a hell of a lifesaver for parents with kids who need a break from sitting 9 innings. I think it's actually a nice draw for families.

To answer your questions:

-No, they do not do the O--EEE-OH thing for Magglio at Comerica (at least not last year and not this year--yesterday--when I was there).

-Yes, the park is great but yes, there is a merry-go-round behind the councourse at about home plate. Think of Comerica as the Cell married with an outdoor mall.

-I could be wrong about Thome's double, but I didn't see it

-Yeah the pizza is whatever, but the brats were good. I couldn't find any polish though! !!!

-They don't do fireworks there for home runs--when a Tiger hits one, the water fountain all of a sudden gets really lively (LOL) and then you hear this canned Tiger roar--cheesy

-The outfield is huge there--the park makes the Cell look like Wrigley. But the park is unique in that it's not very "vertical"--the upper deck is wider than it is higher, making it look really nice

Edited by LVSoxFan